Game 9: GMU (4-4) vs ODU (3-5) on Saturday, December 4, at 7 PM.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
On a positive note, the Green Machine is f***ing awesome. Forgot how great they are to hear in person. They're also seemingly the only ones actively attempting to create an atmosphere in the entire arena, even when not playing music.

Despite the solid turnout, the student section might as well be empty with how disengaged they all are from the game.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Some interesting stuff on there:

1) He sees Hartwell as a shooting guard, not a point guard.
2) "They're trying to take care of the ball, but they're playing slower now." English wants them to speed up.
3) Players switching on defense when they don't have to.
4) Man, English got upset talking about his and Gaines' technical.
The technicals were among the worst I’ve ever seen in college basketball. Refs were atrocious tonight, but that’s not why we lost in the grand scheme of things. There were terrible calls all over the floor tonight. English technical was completely undeserved, I need to see a replay on tickets but live I’d say it was not necessary, even though it was hard.

English was screaming at them on the sideline to push the ball on long rebounds, but our guards were either unable or unwilling. If we had sped it up, we probably win that game. We need to shoot the ball more with how our offense is structured to win games like this.

The switching was wildly clear tonight. Every time they’d exploit the mismatch on our PG which put the nail in the coffin.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
On a positive note, the Green Machine is f***ing awesome. Forgot how great they are to hear in person. They're also seemingly the only ones actively attempting to create an atmosphere in the entire arena, even when not playing music.

Despite the solid turnout, the student section might as well be empty with how disengaged they all are from the game.
I’ll say, there wasn’t a whole ton to be excited about tonight. That was some of the worst, most uninteresting basketball I’ve seen so far this season from both teams.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Does anyone know why the walkon came in in the middle of the second? I was so lost on that substitution.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
The technicals were among the worst I’ve ever seen in college basketball. Refs were atrocious tonight, but that’s not why we lost in the grand scheme of things. There were terrible calls all over the floor tonight. English technical was completely undeserved, I need to see a replay on tickets but live I’d say it was not necessary, even though it was hard.

English was screaming at them on the sideline to push the ball on long rebounds, but our guards were either unable or unwilling. If we had sped it up, we probably win that game. We need to shoot the ball more with how our offense is structured to win games like this.

The switching was wildly clear tonight. Every time they’d exploit the mismatch on our PG which put the nail in the coffin.
Kim said the guys need to get tougher and refuse to switch when they know that’s exactly what the offense wants — to get a scoring guard isolated against Hartwell.

Love the fact that we have a coach who is willing to speak so frankly, win or lose.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Kim said the guys need to get tougher and refuse to switch when they know that’s exactly what the offense wants — to get a scoring guard isolated against Hartwell.

Love the fact that we have a coach who is willing to speak so frankly, win or lose.
Seriously. After the DP era, I appreciate catching straight thoughts on stuff like that.

We solidified a lot about our team tonight. Cooper is a streaky scorer, but when he’s on he’s among the best in the league and making his own points. Schwartz is one of the best catch and shoot players, but he can’t buy his own bucket. Oduro hasn’t worked enough on passing out of a double yet, but if/when he does he’s a double double threat on assists because it’s wide open, and ticket is one of the best hustle/defense guys but he’s raw on offense still. Beyond that there’s nothing worth mentioning for conference play, it’s all potential/what might be next year/year after.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

At the same time, if I was told ODU only scored 60, I'd think Mason could at least score 61.

Last edited:

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Just watched the presser, still loved everything English said. Even through this rough stretch, I believe in the direction we are heading. When we get a roster full of CKEs dude we are going to be a scary, scary team. Everythjng that happens in year 1 is gravy. I’m still patient.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Just watched the presser, still loved everything English said. Even through this rough stretch, I believe in the direction we are heading. When we get a roster full of CKEs dude we are going to be a scary, scary team. Everythjng that happens in year 1 is gravy. I’m still patient.
Kim is far too savvy to come out and say it this way, but guys are either going to get tougher and better or they’re gonna be gone. The soft-a** shit we watched tonight is unacceptable.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Kim is far too savvy to come out and say it this way, but guys are either going to get tougher and better or they’re gonna be gone. The soft-a** shit we watched tonight is unacceptable.
One final thought from tonight, it was one of the most physical games of basketball I’ve seen in awhile. Off the ball, dudes were getting tossed around on both sides. Need to find the mental toughness to play through that, and the basketball IQ to take care of yourself when the refs aren’t staring at you.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Final final thoughts, I’d still stick our top 4 against any in the league. This squad is still gonna win a good amount of games in a weak A10 this year. We’re also probably gonna lose to Fordham or GW or Joes because of nights like tonight. If I’m any of the top 3 teams this year (whoever they end up being, because I still don’t think we know who it is yet at this point 3 weeks from conference play), I don’t want to play this Mason team. We’re still only 3 games from being a tournament team (getting hot in the conference tourney)in year one, and I don’t think that’s the craziest thing I’ve said today.

nynva

Preferred Walk-On
Since I haven't figured out how / where I could get MASN in the NYC area I watched the NYR and Buffalo at ST Bonaventure games (on MSG and SNY) instead. The Bonnies game was a sellout with over 4K in attendance and very entertaining.

OP
Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
"This was a bad loss for us, but deservedly," head coach Kim English said. "They played better. Breaking it down simply, they won the effective field goal game, they won the turnover game, and when you do that in college basketball you win about 85 percent of your games. We just have work to do in our program; to continue to build and invigorate the toughness we know you need to play with and win with at a high level in college basketball."

I thought the roster sucked the second CKE took the job and have for the past 4 years while our fanbase was slurping a mouth breather. I have also said we have 4 good players for the entirety of this season. I think I may have said 5 when Mbaye was supposed to come.

Edit* I have been pretty vocal that we haven't had a good point guard since Otis' junior year as well... and most people understand not having a good PG kinda makes most teams shite

You are not wrong with a lot of what you say, your main problem is you seem incapable of acknowledging the fact that players develop over four years.

You simply say someone "sucks" or "isn't good enough" if he isn't a great player when he's a sophomore, or even worse, a freshman.

It's f**king stupid when you say "we have four good players" like it isn't humanly possible one or two develop (physically, skill-wise, etc.) or a few become better as they learn the system under a new coach.

You've already proven this you don't get this fact with Oduro, at minimum.

Like I said, you're not wrong about the roster deficiencies but STFU for once about everybody being not good enough except for Oduro (who wouldnt be here in the first place if it was you) and Ticket for next year.

If you had f**king said "we're probably going to lose some games now" after Maryland as teams figure us out with film, fatigue, lack of depth, etc. you'd have a right to call out people but...

Lets not pretend you werent as excited as everybody else.

And yes, you're kind of right about our fans being hyperbolizing idiots too, sometimes, but it doesnt excuse your dooschbag, Monday morning quarterback shtick either.

I was on ODU +8 the minute I heard XJ was out. Sad reality, but last night was at least somewhat expected...

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
One of the ugliest games I’ve watched in a long, long time.

Buchanan coming in over a handful of scholarship Paulsen guys speaks volumes to me. This roster is not what KE wants and it looks like it’s going to take some time to get his players in here. Good thing is he’s an excellent recruiter and the transfer portal will speed that up.

One thing that we’ve had that last few years that we just don’t have right now is a guy who can create off the dribble - especially without XJ.

They took Oduro completely out of the game. As soon as he touched the ball every ODU player was ready to slide and double him. We couldn’t adjust.

KE’s weakness seems to be in game adjustments. I didn’t see many last night. He’s not Superman, but he will get better and deserves some time to learn/grow as a head coach.

Officials also don’t seem to like a young coach who is vocal and energetic - I can see a more technicals in his future.

I almost wish we didn’t play so well out of the gate. It changed my expectations and now I’m a lot more disappointed when we have outings like last night.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
You are not wrong with a lot of what you say, your main problem is you seem incapable of acknowledging the fact that players develop over four years.

You simply say someone "sucks" or "isn't good enough" if he isn't a great player when he's a sophomore, or even worse, a freshman.

It's f**king stupid when you say "we have four good players" like it isn't humanly possible one or two develop (physically, skill-wise, etc.) or a few become better as they learn the system under a new coach.

You've already proven this you don't get this fact with Oduro, at minimum.

Like I said, you're not wrong about the roster deficiencies but STFU for once about everybody being not good enough except for Oduro (who wouldnt be here in the first place if it was you) and Ticket for next year.

If you had f**king said "we're probably going to lose some games now" after Maryland as teams figure us out with film, fatigue, lack of depth, etc. you'd have a right to call out people but...

Lets not pretend you werent as excited as everybody else.

And yes, you're kind of right about our fans being hyperbolizing idiots too, sometimes, but it doesnt excuse your dooschbag, Monday morning quarterback shtick either.

I was on ODU +8 the minute I heard XJ was out. Sad reality, but last night was at least somewhat expected...
There was no reason to not be excited. Everyone should have been. It’s the now questioning CKE and saying they would rather have DP coaching in game that is absolutely ridiculous. Being absolutely bipolar about a coach 9 games into his career with a Patriot Lwague group of returnees is “doochy”. Roster deficiencies are super clear and I hope for your love of him that Polite does end up hitting the rim at least once this year and he will automatically be better than what we currently have to watch at that position each game.

And I said 4 good players this season Jollay. Not in general. I think Blake and Henry could develop. Just like Kam Murrell and every big sans Oduro that DP ever recruited it’s pretty clear most of his progeny still on the roster don’t belong in the a10. Maybe not to you.

I was dead wrong about Oduro but have been right about a lot more than wrong over my time arguing with the sunshine’s and rainbows and now apparently bipolar GMU fans

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

I noticed this as well with the students. I have no idea how students can come to a basketball game and barely cheer. No standing no chanting nothing. I do think they liked the light stick thing which was cool with the lights off. But other than the 30 seconds for the dancing and maybe one other time they were sitting like it was a play. I’m pretty sure the fan in 115 who kept screaming how bad the refs were, was louder than all of them.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
"This was a bad loss for us, but deservedly," head coach Kim English said. "They played better. Breaking it down simply, they won the effective field goal game, they won the turnover game, and when you do that in college basketball you win about 85 percent of your games. We just have work to do in our program; to continue to build and invigorate the toughness we know you need to play with and win with at a high level in college basketball."
I like that he keeps saying program, and not team. He has the long view in his plans, not just this year.
I only hope some potential recruits don't turn us down based on what they're seeing this year. Lots of guys like to join winners, not necessarily being the foundation of something.