Game 8: GMU (4-3) vs South Dakota St. (5-2) on Wednesday, November 24, at 9:30PM.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
It is excuses. Most of these guys grew up playing AAU where they may play 3-4 games a day in some tournaments. They are 18-23 year old kids who shouldn’t have an issue playing 3 days in a row. If we are really going to start complaining about travel schedules and kids playing too many minutes than Handy needs to find a new job because he hasn’t prepared them enough for college basketball. The problem is we aren’t playing well right now, we are very predictable on offense, our PG play has been subpar, and we have been leaving guys wide open on defense. I have faith KE will fix it but let’s stop blaming it on guys playing too many minutes or because we traveled too much.

All I said was that it was a fair assessment. Never did I start complaining about the travel schedule or the fact that they couldn't handle it. They should be able to handle it. However, based on what I think, I do think that it could have played a factor. Does it matter? Not really, but its my opinion that it was a bit of a hectic week game and travel wise. Its up to the staff like you said to figure out how to help the guys overcome any challenges.

Now they'll settle into the December schedule with a little bit more time to work on things before the rigors of conference play. I expect the best basketball to be ahead of this team as many others do as well.
We will see...all the rest of our OOC games are very winnable (including a mediocre 2-4 Georgia team).

Going 4-1 over that stretch and then 3-1 to start conference play (something you should expect a good team to be able to do given who they play and where) would go a long way toward restoring faith in this year's team.

Agreed. ODU does not look great and although a rivalry game, that should be very winnable at home. Add in the few buy home games, and the game at Georgia, and they should be able to have a good stretch.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
I don't think it's a non-issue...the team has had little/no time to prepare for any opponent since Maryland. While there's a lot of stuff that should have gone way better I feel like if we didn't play JMU and took time off before we flew to SD at least one of those losses turns into a win.

I agree. No time to work on problems that weren't evident in our first 4 games. Based on the early returns, many of us (or at least me) were about ready to anoint them as NCAA tourney-bound.

Should have realized that we couldn't expect the high % on 3's to continue. But what did we know about the new guys? As I said after the Md game, they're playing like pros! Apparently they are just collegians who are capable of some high-ceiling games.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I agree. No time to work on problems that weren't evident in our first 4 games. Based on the early returns, many of us (or at least me) were about ready to anoint them as sweet 16 bound with English darting from Mason.

Should have realized that we couldn't expect the high % on 3's to continue. But what did we know about the new guys? As I said after the Md game, they're playing like pros! Apparently they are just collegians who are capable of some high-ceiling games.
FTFY

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Hopefully we play defense like we did the last 5 min of the SD game. Seemed the open shooter was less open.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Hopefully we play defense like we did the last 5 min of the SD game. Seemed the open shooter was less open.

They were 5 for 5 in the last five minutes of the game...

The defense they played in the last 4 minutes of the first half and the first 3 minutes of the second half was much better, but this is a high energy, high thinking defense that is going to tire the team out unless and until we have a better rotation (meaning rotation players 1-9 should all be good defenders). One of the things SD State did really well is screen and screen until they got the ballhandler on the weakest defender on the floor and then they attacked).

I also liked how the SD State players used a series of ball fakes to get the Mason defenders jumping one way and then they'd attack the other way. That happens because they don't trust each other enough yet.

Last edited:

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Jeff Goodman@GoodmanHoops
·25m

South Dakota State is 23-4 overall, 12-0 in league play, and Eric Henderson’s Jackrabbits have done it without Noah Freidel. He’s played just 4 minutes since Dec. 20.

Henderson’s league record in last 3 years is 36-6, and Jackrabbits will likely win 6th straight Summit title.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Summit League championship game: South Dakota State (30-4, 18-0 SL) 75 - North Dakota State 69