Game 8: GMU (3-4) vs Hofstra (6-2) on Wednesday, November 30, at 7:00 PM.

Junkees9

Sixth Man
First 16 minutes of the game were dreadful. But I liked the 2nd half. Nice to see Fernandez get more minutes and take advantage of the opportunity.

OP
Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Played well at times. Scratched my head at times. Nice to get a win even if it's freaking ugly. I'll give KE all the credit in the world for the lob over to Dinkins at the end. I was screaming to do it and boom it happened. Dinkins showed some Pulisic sized balls making the free throws. Head scratcher though overall. One guy to guard and we couldn't get it done. Lucky sometimes beats good. Undefeated at home. Done with fragmented sentences and thoughts.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
First 16 minutes of the game were dreadful. But I liked the 2nd half. Nice to see Fernandez get more minutes and take advantage of the opportunity.
Yeah, it'd be nice to see the team put two halves together.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Hoping to see less of ticket/coop/vbj together (finally coming around to this idea from @patriotchild) and more Saquan slotting in for one of them to give us more defense and more attack from the wings.

The box score PDFs on the GoMason site have plus/minus data for each game. Plus/minus for individual games can be highly misleading, but it's still fun to poke through. Ronnie was a +19 against Queens, which led the team. Dinkins was a -11. Love Dink but he ain't ready yet. This team will be as good as Ronnie is. Go Ronnie!
I'd like to see that +/- but when I looked at the gomason box score, there was no column for it for the Hofstra game......EDIT..nevermind. found it in the pdf version of the box score.

Last edited:

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
check the box scores for who Auburn's two leading scorers were. The tallest of the two is 6 foot tall. Maybe you folks should fix your glasses before watching these games or we are watching different games with the box scores only backing up one of us... (hint it is not you)
Sure, but Green and Johnson got their points by going 9-27 from the field. Their other guards were worse. Flanigan went 0-5 and Jasper went 1-7. According to you they "went off" on Polite and Coop. You love to take our guys to the woodshed but this is just weak sauce. And for the record I am not one to put on rose-colored glasses.

This team is lacking in many areas (so far) and I've called out our deficiencies, but I'm also a fan and am hoping we can right the ship before conference play.

I freely acknowledge I may be delusional.

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Their two leading scorers were 6 foot 0 guard KD Johnson (who drove Ronnie at will to score...kid cannot shoot), and Wendell Green 5 foot 11 "big man" I guess who also got to the rim over the much larger Polite.

If you are going to chirp me at least be accurate. Their guards and big man Broome killed us on offense (not burned by their bigs). If you wanted to say that their bigs killed us with their defense you would be 100% accurate but that isn't what you are saying.
See my reply to Verdad b/c I meant to reply to this post. I'll give Ronnie a "B" grade because he got to the basket, hit a few free throws, had more assists than TOs (one of which was on Oduro) and played good D.

You're right that Estrada would light us up. He's a talent and nobody on our side had an answer.

BBride

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Couple from last night. Transferred these from my camera to my phone to post via Twitter after the game. Lot's to unpack from this game and I'll edit what I shot and will drop them in a photo gallery later (Link in my sig).

So many times I thought Mason was done. FT's were dropping (19/23) and four players in double figures. Team is back to .500 now headed to Saturday.

Nice to see AJ Wilson in the house!

Dinkins FT.jpg

Mason wins.jpg

Josh Oduro.jpg
AJ in the house.jpg

BBride

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The AJ pic got more likes, comments and re-tweets on Twitter than any game shots I have posted the past two games. So there's that.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Couple from last night. Transferred these from my camera to my phone to post via Twitter after the game. Lot's to unpack from this game and I'll edit what I shot and will drop them in a photo gallery later (Link in my sig).

So many times I thought Mason was done. FT's were dropping (19/23) and four players in double figures. Team is back to .500 now headed to Saturday.

Nice to see AJ Wilson in the house!

View attachment 1566

View attachment 1567

View attachment 1568View attachment 1569
Bill, you are the best!

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
See my reply to Verdad b/c I meant to reply to this post. I'll give Ronnie a "B" grade because he got to the basket, hit a few free throws, had more assists than TOs (one of which was on Oduro) and played good D.

You're right that Estrada would light us up. He's a talent and nobody on our side had an answer.
I thought Ronnie played very well offensively. We just need to be accurate in what he is/isn’t doing on defense. He isn’t guarding a teams 1st or 2nd best guards most nights. Estrada guarded Polite but Polite did not guard Estrada. Polite was horrible on leaving his man to help. A bunch of back breaking threes from his man (this may be a defensive philosophy issue though). He was great at getting into the paint and kicking out and he was 3-4 in crunch time free throws which is the best I’ve ever seen from him. That three point off the backboard stroke still gives me a hernia every time I see it but he played a b+ offensive game last night.
Let’s just relax on him shutting teams down defensively when he still doesn’t play any defense and CKE keeps him far far away from anyone that can walk and chew gum on the other team

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Couple of things:

-Ronny did all he could against Hofstra running point. 14 points, 5 assists, 4 turnovers. I really liked that he was getting into the paint, getting to the basket, and found some open guys. Also, he hit 4/6 free throws in key moments down the stretch. As @Petey Buckets says, the team goes as far as Ronny takes them. They put a LOT on him since Singleton is not a PG, and Dinkins is just not ready. Defensively, there is a flaw to the strategy since he is helping out and then leaving his guy open. Hope they can fix that.

- Nice to see Josh show up, 21 points 11 boards. He had a much better game in the second half and overtime and looked like hes crawling back to being what he was.

-Cooper getting to the hoop is something I hope to see more of, instead of camping out for 3. His ability to drive, drive and dish it off, or hit from the elbow is great, and I want to see a ton more of it.

-Estrada is a heckuva player and we threw the entire kitchen sink at the guy. He still finished with 31, but I did like that we doubled off a screen and pushed him out. It was gambling because guys had to rotate, but we were daring someone else to beat us. In the end Mason won the game so that was good.

- Hofstra is a solid CAA program and I am really glad Mason got the win. The A10 games will be tougher than last night but it was by far the toughest non conference game Mason has played. I'm very happy with the outcome because Saturday will be even tougher. I wish they returned the game against Hofstra, but I'll take the buy game win.

Last edited:

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Through 8 games I think it’s safe to say healthy Polite is a clear upgrade over XJ, if not as much of one as Kim and the staff were looking for in the portal.

I’d like to see more of him using the high ball screen to get into the paint, forcing the defense to compress and then kicking out for rhythm 3s. He did it twice early last night, we made both shots and then it never happened again … ugh.

We also need him to keep being aggressive getting to the rim and not settling for jumpers. While the consensus going into the season was we just needed decent PG play because the other 4 spots would supply most of the offense, it’s clear that is not the case. As @Petey Buckets noted last night this team’s ceiling will be dictated by what we get from Ronny.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Anybody know why there wasn't a postgame press conference (or why they never shared it live on social media)?