Game 8: AT Univ. of Northern Iowa, Saturday, Dec 6th, 8 PM, NO TV

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Every coach has busts, but what pisses me off the most is how Hewitt misuses the talent he does have. Not to beat that dead horse that is Larranaga, but imagine how he would use Jalen Jenkins. He'd post his a** on the low block like he did with Will Thomas, and he'd throw the ball into him about 15 times a game.

Perhaps, you are right although I don't believe that Jalen is nearly as dominant in the low block as Will Thomas was.

Dawgs99

Starter
Perhaps, you are right although I don't believe that Jalen is nearly as dominant in the low block as Will Thomas was.
While I agree Pablo, we will never really know due to Hewitt using Jalen like he has Lebrons skill set. Totaly agree with Tom's post about PH really misusing the talent that he does have, what a moron.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Do you detect a common thread; i.e., Marko Gujanicic, Makan Konate, & Jesus Urbina?
Marko might actually be at the bottom of the list considering he is shooting 17.6% from the floor overall, 0% from the 3, and averages .6 assists a game. Now those are some numbers to digest!:vomit:

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023

Nobody is as dominant as Will Thomas on the low block, so I would never compare them talent-wise; but I do think that is where Jalen's talents would best be used rather than roaming around near the foul line. If he could consistently knock down that shot from 12-15 feet, it would be a different story.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Marko might actually be at the bottom of the list considering he is shooting 17.6% from the floor overall, 0% from the 3, and averages .6 assists a game. Now those are some numbers to digest!:vomit:

Are you serious? Marko scored more points in the first game of his career (6 pts.) vs. UVA than Konate scored in his entire career (4 pts.). Konate shot 10.5% (2-19) from the floor in his career including 0-10 behind the arc.

polepino

Starter
Every coach has busts, but what pisses me off the most is how Hewitt misuses the talent he does have. Not to beat that dead horse that is Larranaga, but imagine how he would use Jalen Jenkins. He'd post his a** on the low block like he did with Will Thomas, and he'd throw the ball into him about 15 times a game.

I agree with this assessment. Its just still plainly obvious me that L's offense seemed more technically structured, bigs down low guards up top, than Hewitts 'free flowing' motion offense. Its like Hewitt wants all his players to dribble, drive,shoot from all areas of the floor. More a slashing player offense than a back to the basket one. Of course when you try emphasize doing everything in general terms you tend to excel in none.

Are you serious? Marko scored more points in the first game of his career (6 pts.) vs. UVA than Konate scored in his entire career (4 pts.). Konate shot 10.5% (2-19) from the floor in his career including 0-10 behind the arc.
Shocked and horrified to learn Makan took ten threes in actual Mason games. I do remember one in particular--maybe a top 5 brick I've ever seen...playground included.

I don't consider Marko a bust at all. Think he's a perfectly serviceable backup 4, especially playing next to Thompson.

But him together with Jenkins and Thompson in a four out offense? As stupid as can be.

Of course this is the dilemma these coaches face. Half of Hewitt's recruiting shtick is his NBA talent he's developed.

I'm sure Jenkins is under some haze that he'll need to be a three in the NBA. Hewitt is swinging for the fences with every recruit, he is unaware that every team at this level needs role playing team guys like Gabe Norwood and Chris Fleming.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Shocked and horrified to learn Makan took ten threes in actual Mason games. I do remember one in particular--maybe a top 5 brick I've ever seen...playground included.

I don't consider Marko a bust at all. Think he's a perfectly serviceable backup 4, especially playing next to Thompson.

But him together with Jenkins and Thompson in a four out offense? As stupid as can be.

Was that the one against Towson?

I also agree Marko should be playing backup 4. While he can hit the 3 it's really from only one spot on the floor. And he ca handle the ball a little, but not when he's trying to break a defender down, and he's a good passer, but he more effective passing out of the post.

Was that the one against Towson?

I also agree Marko should be playing backup 4. While he can hit the 3 it's really from only one spot on the floor. And he ca handle the ball a little, but not when he's trying to break a defender down, and he's a good passer, but he more effective passing out of the post.

Jeez...can't remember. I have a good general knowledge of Mason basketball, but others are amazing with the specifics. I just remember the shot itself.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Jenkins isn't as versatile as Ryan Pearson, so the experiment of moving him out top simply isn't working. Teams know his range is limited, so they are prepared for the drive down the lane.
And not only are they prepared, we run no picks to free Jenkins up on the drive. Instead of a pick-and-roll, we give Jalen the ball at the top of the key and hope he can beat his man one-on-one. That's just terrible.

KAOriginal

All-American
For guys that aren't being paid the millions of dollars to coach college basketball like Hewitt has.....you sure do seem to know more than him......

:)