Game 8: AT Univ. of Northern Iowa, Saturday, Dec 6th, 8 PM, NO TV

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Constantly tinkering with lineups/combinations is a sure sign of a coach who has run out of ideas ... if he had any to begin with.

I'll give Hewitt credit for starting Thompson over Copes so far this season. But, he started the ineffective Marko at the "3" in the first 7 games, and in game 8 he's out of the rotation.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I'll give Hewitt credit for starting Thompson over Copes so far this season. But, he started the ineffective Marko at the "3" in the first 7 games, and in game 8 he's out of the rotation.
How often have we seen that from Hewitt? AO went from starting to no minutes. Neither probably should have been a starter. But how bazaar to be good enough to start then not good enough to even play.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
How often have we seen that from Hewitt? AO went from starting to no minutes. Neither probably should have been a starter. But how bazaar to be good enough to start then not good enough to even play.

Thats what happens when Hewitt gets all the guys at his practice, and realizes he didnt recruit a shooter or PG.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I hate admitting this, but last night was the first time since about 1996 where I didn't go out of my way to follow or watch a game. Around halftime of the football games, I remembered we were playing and got on Twitter for updates. After I saw the final score, I didn't even bat an eye. Apathy is a terrible thing.

Dawgs99

Starter
Thats what happens when Hewitt gets all the guys at his practice, and realizes he didnt recruit a shooter or PG.

Crazy how PH has under recruited the guard position. Everyone knows you need good guards to win college ball games.

Bricker

Starter
Or getting a good guard to Mason is a far harder sell than Georgia Tech......

I dont think he had a back up plan if big targets didnt pan out.
This is clearly the case. He went after some very skilled guards and couldn't get them to commit... yet had no second or third-tier options when his top picks committed elsewhere.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Every black man in the country is pissed at Hewitt for finally dispelling the myth that size matters.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
This is clearly the case. He went after some very skilled guards and couldn't get them to commit... yet had no second or third-tier options when his top picks committed elsewhere.

Well by my count we have 5 guards and 2 small forwards on the current roster (and one small forward commitment for 2015).

PGs: Moore, Edwards
SGs: Holloway, Gray (I know he's listed as a forward, but he plays like a guard) and Jackson (supposedly a PG).
SF: Mayimba (limbo), Lockett (possibly done for the year).

These players have limitations to be sure, but the question is do we not have any good wing players or is Hewitt's system and coaching inadequate for the players we do have?

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I have no problem with recruiting big players as long as they all serve a purpose, but I do have a problem with him constantly trying to force players into positions they can't play (see Okologi and Marko). His recruiting "philosophy" is to add a bunch of big players and then try to determine where they can play rather than figuring out what his needs will be and then recruiting to fill those needs.

I equate it to drafting a bunch of wide receivers for a fantasy football league and then realizing afterwards that you have no starting tight end or backup QB. When Hewitt finally realizes his roster has huge holes, it's too late to fill those holes. That results in constant tinkering and no consistency whatsoever in terms of the starting lineup and substitutions.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
I have no problem with recruiting big players as long as they all serve a purpose, but I do have a problem with him constantly trying to force players into positions they can't play (see Okologi and Marko). His recruiting "philosophy" is to add a bunch of big players and then try to determine where they can play rather than figuring out what his needs will be and then recruiting to fill those needs.

I equate it to drafting a bunch of wide receivers for a fantasy football league and then realizing afterwards that you have no starting tight end or backup QB. When Hewitt finally realizes his roster has huge holes, it's too late to fill those holes. That results in constant tinkering and no consistency whatsoever in terms of the starting lineup and substitutions.

In fairness to Hewitt, I believe we all thought that he was recruiting the next Luke Hancock at the SF position. My problem with Hewitt is that he's too stubborn to quickly recognize the player's deficiencies at a position.

Dawgs99

Starter
It would be nice if Hewitt would recruit and sign kids to play in our back court that actually played guard in high school.

GMUSig03

All-Conference
In fairness to Hewitt, I believe we all thought that he was recruiting the next Luke Hancock at the SF position. My problem with Hewitt is that he's too stubborn to quickly recognize the player's deficiencies at a position.

In fairness to us, we don't get paid millions of dollars to evaluate talent. He is supposed to know better then us.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
In fairness to us, we don't get paid millions of dollars to evaluate talent. He is supposed to know better then us.

Every coach has busts, but what pisses me off the most is how Hewitt misuses the talent he does have. Not to beat that dead horse that is Larranaga, but imagine how he would use Jalen Jenkins. He'd post his a** on the low block like he did with Will Thomas, and he'd throw the ball into him about 15 times a game.

Jenkins isn't as versatile as Ryan Pearson, so the experiment of moving him out top simply isn't working. Teams know his range is limited, so they are prepared for the drive down the lane. It's inexcusable that one of the best players in the league not only lost his starting job due to being misused but that he has been reduced to an occasional scorer who often looks lost.