Game 30: GMU (17-12 / 9-7) vs Fordham (23-6 / 11-5) on Wednesday, March 1, at 7:00 PM.

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Most of the conference has played 16 league games and have 2 games left
GMU in a 3 way tie for 5th place

I think we are almost safely out of the PIG - as long as we dont lose the last 2 games
Will need some help to reach the 4th place - starting with a win over Fordham

1 win by vcu will give them the regular season crown and the #1 Tourney Seed
vcu @ GWU is their last game - so a vcu win helps us and hurts GWU

1677467908573.png

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
vcu at Gw is one of those games vcu could lose. If they have reg season title beforehand, and Gw is fighting for a higher seed, then I could see vcu taking the night off which could screw us. Hopefully not. But this is one of many reason to never ever root for vcu.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Not to get overly excited, but FWIW, Umass already beat Duquense once.

Most important Mason just needs to beat Fordham, and then however the chips fall they fall. Just need to help ourselves out as that is most important and in our control.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Our path to the double bye is as follows:

Mason beats Fordham
UMass beats Duquesne
Mason beats Richmond
Duquesne beats Fordham
I'm as guilty as the next guy about thinking of ways to sneak into the top 4, but the joint probabilities makes it a real long shot. Our focus needs to be on winning our games and building up our self-confidence (collective efficacy) that we can compete and win against the best teams in the conference come the conference tournament.

According to Kenpom, we have had the easiest strength of schedule in conference games having only played the top 6 teams once each (excepting twice against GW). Compare that to Davidson with the hardest schedule, having played the top 4 teams twice each and going 1-7. That makes the win against Dayton even more meaningful as it was our first conference win against a top team. All the rest of our conference wins have been against essentially the also-rans.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm as guilty as the next guy about thinking of ways to sneak into the top 4, but the joint probabilities makes it a real long shot. Our focus needs to be on winning our games and building up our self-confidence (collective efficacy) that we can compete and win against the best teams in the conference come the conference tournament.

According to Kenpom, we have had the easiest strength of schedule in conference games having only played the top 6 teams once each (excepting twice against GW). Compare that to Davidson with the hardest schedule, having played the top 4 teams twice each and going 1-7. That makes the win against Dayton even more meaningful as it was our first conference win against a top team. All the rest of our conference wins have been against essentially the also-rans.
Absolutely, by far the most important thing is to win our games and keep the good vibes rolling into Brooklyn. Just nice that we even have a 3% chance of grabbing a double-bye after being 5-7 and headed to the PIG 2 weeks ago.

HoopsAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
The Mason Maniak glasses appear to be for just students. I bet if said students put them up on Ebay, they might make a good return from alumni who would like them.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Take Fordham and bet my farm along with yours
Agreed. We have no shot. I'll be taking Fordham on all betting platforms. We all know that Fordham has a long history of being in these types of games and their guys know all about playing as a favorite on an opposing team's court.

GMUYoda

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
This is why it is so important to win out at home and beat teams on the road at the bottom of the standings. Losing to Loyola on the road was a kick in the teeth.
Losing to St. Louis on the road was another

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Losing to St. Louis on the road was another
Two seasons now we take a game with St Louis down to the wire and it just throws us off the tracks. I feel like last season if we had pulled out that win things would have been vastly different.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I always get a kick out of the hypothetical "We'd be in first place had we won all of our games" comments. It reminds me of the sentiment "If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tricycle."

Every team is going to have clunkers over the course of the season that they regret. The truth is we weren't good enough on the respective days we played Loyola in Chicago or GW at home, and the most important thing now is what — if anything — did we learn from those games.

I believe Coach L once said that the 20-point shellacking we took against Creighton at home during our Final 4 season was a turning point for that team. Sometimes the worst losses serve a greater purpose than the best wins. Here's hoping that's the case with this team