Game 30: Duquesne, March 8th, 7 PM, MASN

What a horrible season at Patriot Center...I left with 14 minutes left and can't even remember doing that during the Nestor/Westhead years.

Hewitt won six games at home this year, but it felt worse because of the blowouts and the skimpy wins over inferior non-conference teams.

Number one, you have to wonder if a good number of these guys spend their time getting stoned in their dorm rooms, but can't get away with it in a hotel or something on the road. You honestly have to wonder.

Worst # of home wins since 1985

Larranaga won 4 in his debut year
Westhead won 5 one year and six one year (remember the cupcakes he scheduled non-conference)
Nestor won 4 home games one year, five one year and six one year. Although in fairness one of those years (when we almost upset UR in the CAA Final) he didn't have many home games.

I want blood this offseason. Even if its mine.

Was anyone else a little put off by Hewitt not giving Allen and Wright a chance to get an extended hand from the crowd? Why just give one more foul and let Allen and Wright check out together? At least it would have given them a moment to enjoy the crowd's appreciation of their effort over the last 4 years.

Maybe they wanted to be on the court at the end....

OP
Washingtonian

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
There was a point in the 2nd half where I think we were fouled, Allen gets everyone together for a huddle, it was a media timeout and Hewitt separates the huddle and gets everyone to the bench.

That's another example of piss poor coaching.

DeepValue

Starter
Sherrod seems to have steeled himself against the pain of being part of this program years ago. Allen still lets it show occasionally, like when we smacked the basket stand yesterday as the end of the game approached. I applaud both of them for their contributions. They deserved more, but that's just not the way it worked out.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
IUPUI fired its coach after three seasons (see link below), but there are no details on how long the contract was for or if there was a buyout.

If our administration decides to make similar decision, I want it done very quickly — as in hours after we lose in Brooklyn. My main concern with Hewitt leaving is losing some of the recruits we have coming in — especially with us already losing our top two scorers — so it would be nice for our new coach to have ample time to retain as many of them as possible (or those he deems good fits).

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...etball/24474600/iupui-fires-coach-todd-howard
I want to keep the recruits too but it isn't like they are 4 star guys who could go anywhere they want. An aggressive coach will be able to sell Mason again. After all, they obviously like the school.

Last edited:

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Dayton plays the winner of our game against Fordham. IF we beat Fordham our time in Brooklyn will likely end soon after.

Patriotfan49

Starter
There was a point in the 2nd half where I think we were fouled, Allen gets everyone together for a huddle, it was a media timeout and Hewitt separates the huddle and gets everyone to the bench.

That's another example of piss poor coaching.

Seemed like every timeout started with Hewitt and the staff or just Hewitt walking out close to the free throw line in baffle mode. Besides being a terrible coach, seems like he is frustrated and at his wits end with it all too.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Really, if the administration had the guts to pull the trigger, I wouldn't care if all of the recruits walked. The way I look at it, you'd just be getting a head start on rebuilding. Next year is going to be filled with a lot of losses anyway, it's just a matter of if there is any real long term hope.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
What a horrible season at Patriot Center...I left with 14 minutes left and can't even remember doing that during the Nestor/Westhead years.
I have never left a game early but I was pushing to do so last night. The only reason I ended up staying to the end is that my son wanted Sherrod Wright's autograph after the game.

Hewitt won six games at home this year, but it felt worse because of the blowouts and the skimpy wins over inferior non-conference teams.
Wow, I know I have joked about the home court disadvantage, but had not looked at the actual numbers or how if compares to some of the darkest days in our early years.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
I have never left a game early but I was pushing to do so last night. The only reason I ended up staying to the end is that my son wanted Sherrod Wright's autograph after the game.

Wow, I know I have joked about the home court disadvantage, but had not looked at the actual numbers or how if compares to some of the darkest days in our early years.

Brian,

So, was this your last game during the Paul Hewitt era?

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Brian,

So, was this your last game during the Paul Hewitt era?
Most likely. Unless I get some sort of guarantee as to the plan or concrete measure (and it would have to be impressive) for him to be judged by after year four, then I will not attend another Hewitt coached game. I don't see the guarantee happening, so, in all likelihood, yes.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Most likely. Unless I get some sort of guarantee as to the plan or concrete measure (and it would have to be impressive) for him to be judged by after year four, then I will not attend another Hewitt coached game. I don't see the guarantee happening, so, in all likelihood, yes.

It's interesting how few people clap anymore when Hewitt's name is announced during the introductions. I can't speak for the AD or the players, but it certainly appears that he's lost the support of nearly all of the fans.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
It's interesting how few people clap anymore when Hewitt's name is announced during the introductions. I can't speak for the AD or the players, but it certainly appears that he's lost the support of nearly all of the fans.

I hope he resigns. Would be very respectable.

Patriotfan49

Starter
I dunno, watching Hewitt Saturday night was about as frustrated Ive seen him recently. I doubt he would resign, but I wouldnt be shocked if the thought hasnt crossed his mind in some form or fashion or if he isnt second guessing his decision to keep coaching.