Game 30: AT Virginia Commonwealth University, Saturday, March 8th, 5:30 PM, NBCSN

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Paul Hewitt. 8 - 26 in the A10. Now that is a record to be proud of. Brad, chime in here anytime buddy.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
4-14 after 4-12. Ugh. The only intrigue surrounding this team is whether or not Hewitt is still the coach after next Thursday or Friday.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Like many here I am guilty of thinking that a coaching change will somehow change the fortunes of the program overnight. I have realized the error in my own thinking. So, I have lowered my own expectations for next year. With a new coach we will still struggle to win 12 games. Thompson and Jackson deserve minutes next year. Jenkins and Moore could also be in that category. Mayimba, Lockett, and the incoming freshmen should get the rest of the minutes. Holloway, Marko, Royal, Porter, etc. can ride the bench and finish their educations. Porter could factor into the equation, it's just he's so weak and a self check offensively. I'm tired of watching him get pushed around. If Brad doesn't fire Hewitt it won't matter because I will have moved on to other pursuits like watching reruns of the Green Acres.

PDGL Hoops

Starter
First time since 1994 I didn't go to a game. I lived in CA part of this time and that season arranged work trips to see 3 games at the Pat Dome. This season I just stayed home - 3.5 hours away and I don't feel like I missed a thing.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Like many here I am guilty of thinking that a coaching change will somehow change the fortunes of the program overnight. I have realized the error in my own thinking. So, I have lowered my own expectations for next year. With a new coach we will still struggle to win 12 games. Thompson and Jackson deserve minutes next year. Jenkins and Moore could also be in that category. Mayimba, Lockett, and the incoming freshmen should get the rest of the minutes. Holloway, Marko, Royal, Porter, etc. can ride the bench and finish their educations. Porter could factor into the equation, it's just he's so weak and a self check offensively. I'm tired of watching him get pushed around. If Brad doesn't fire Hewitt it won't matter because I will have moved on to other pursuits like watching reruns of the Green Acres.
I'm awful at home improvement, but if he's still around I'll learn real quick....Honestly, I'd just want the team to play hard, look organized, and try to get somewhere close to .500.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Whoever the new coach is, as long as he has Moore, Jackson, Jenkins and Thompson, he has the core of a team that should be able to compete with anyone in the A10. The key will be whether or not he can keep young guys like Mayimba, Lockett, Porter and Gilbert and coach them up to be effective complementary pieces.

Holloway should be deployed as a microwave scorer off the bench, but his defense is nowhere near good enough to play major minutes at this level. He's a liability for anything but putting the ball in the basket.

That's a 9-man rotation with two seniors, two juniors, two sophomores, two redshirt freshmen and one true freshman.

No reason at all we can't be competitive immediately if we hire a competent coach and avoid a mass exodus of our young talent.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...4abe34-c52f-11e4-a188-8e4971d37a8d_story.html:

"Shevon Thompson had 16 points and 15 rebounds and Isaiah Jackson scored 16 for George Mason (9-21, 4-14). The Patriots turned the ball over 24 times against vcu’s pressure, leading to 24 points for the Rams. It was the fifth loss in six games for the Patriots."

"George Mason: The loss dropped Paul Hewitt’s record to 66-66 in four seasons at George Mason. ... The Patriots averaged 21 turnovers in two losses to vcu, and lost by almost identical scores — 72-60 at home, and 71-60 on the road."

"UP NEXT:

George Mason will play in the A-10 tournament.

vcu will play as either the fourth of fifth seed in the A-10 tournament."

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Whoever the new coach is, as long as he has Moore, Jackson, Jenkins and Thompson, he has the core of a team that should be able to compete with anyone in the A10. The key will be whether or not he can keep young guys like Mayimba, Lockett, Porter and Gilbert and coach them up to be effective complementary pieces.

Holloway should be deployed as a microwave scorer off the bench, but his defense is nowhere near good enough to play major minutes at this level. He's a liability for anything but putting the ball in the basket.

That's a 9-man rotation with two seniors, two juniors, two sophomores, two redshirt freshmen and one true freshman.

No reason at all we can't be competitive immediately if we hire a competent coach and avoid a mass exodus of our young talent.

Agreed. Would like to see the new coach get lucky with a SG recruit (a fifth year senior transfer, JUCO, or true freshman who just goes off). Moore, <fill in the blank badass SG>, Jackson, Jenkins, Thompson is a starting lineup that can compete in the top half of the league next year right away as long as our coach knows what he's doing.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Agreed. Would like to see the new coach get lucky with a SG recruit (a fifth year senior transfer, JUCO, or true freshman who just goes off). Moore, <fill in the blank badass SG>, Jackson, Jenkins, Thompson is a starting lineup that can compete in the top half of the league next year right away as long as our coach knows what he's doing.

Fortunately, SG is literally the easiest position in the world to recruit.

And if Mayimba or Lockett show the ability to start and play major minutes right away at the SF, then Jackson can be your SG.

Moore (6-2), Jackson (6-6), Mayimba (6-7), Jenkins (6-7) and Thompson (6-11) would be one hell of an athletic starting 5.

A coach who didn't have his head lodged completely up his own a** should be able to do some things with that group.

OP
Washingtonian

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/basketball/article_a9079fed-545d-5107-ab69-670b1aeb6b19.html

vcu led by 14 at halftime and seemed to be cruising toward an easy night. The Rams, though, couldn’t find consistent scoring (23 of 60, 7 of 21 on 3-pointers). The Patriots (9-21, 4-14) started to make shots and cut the deficit to three with 7:53 remaining before vcu regrouped and pulled away in the final two minutes.

“I thought today was a step in the right direction,” vcu coach Shaka Smart said. “Our guys played with good assertiveness, aggressiveness. We still didn’t shoot the ball well, but I think the aggressiveness led to some offensive opportunities.”

vcu was flogged 82-55 by Davidson on Thursday. The Rams didn’t play well in any phase of that game, and Smart said they didn’t play with enough fight or connectivity.

So he pulled out some past video clips, reminding his team of how it played in some of its best efforts. Graham, who isn’t an outspoken type, also piped up.

“That put a reminder in our heads of how we should play, an attacking mindset,” sophomore forward Mo Alie-Cox said.

The Rams were more intense on defense, and Mason helped with sloppy ballhandling and passing. The Patriots coughed 24 turnovers, leading to 24 vcu points.

With a minute left in the first half, the Patriots had more turnovers (15) than shots (13) and points (14). The Rams, who made only eight of their first 26 shots, didn’t do much with it for a while.