Game 29: GMU (14-14 / 7-8) vs UMass (13-16 / 6-11) on Saturday, March 5, at 4 PM.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
UMass is currently 13-16 on the season and 6-11 in A10 play. They are 10-5 at home, 2-8 on the road, and 1 - 3 at neutral sites.

History: Including tournament play GMU is 11-4 against the Minutemen as a member of the A10.

We beat the Minutemen 72-62 when we played them at UMass on January 30. D’Shawn Schwartz had 15, Ticket had 14, and Devon had 12 to lead us. Josh only played 21 minutes due to foul trouble and had just 6 points and 3 rebounds. XJ had 8 points and 9 assists. We shot 51% for the game while UMass only shot 31.7%. Rich Kelly scored 13, Trent Buttrick chipped in 10, and Javohn Garcia had 13 off the bench for UMass.
Box score:
Schedule: https://umassathletics.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule
Roster: https://umassathletics.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster
Stats: https://umassathletics.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2021-22

UMass averages 74.5 points per game while giving up 77.9. The Minutemen shoot 42.8% from the floor and 37.5% from 3. Opponents are shooting 48.9% from the field and 37.9% from 3. The Minutemen shoot 75.5% from the free throw line. They have been out rebounded by opponents by 1.9 boards per game. They average 11.8 turnovers per contest.

The game is on ESPN+.

My prediction: We absolutely have to have this one if for no other reason than to finish .500 in league play and over .500 for the year. Both are important milestones, at least in my opinion, for KE in his first year. Oduro stays out of foul trouble and leads the way to victory. GMU 78 - UMass 70.

Discuss.

phoenix-arizona

All-American
''I hope the team leaves early. Just heard there's a storm coming to Boston where UMASS is definitely located.''

Also, coach English needs a trench coat on hand to help out with the team bus

Last edited:

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I hope the team leaves early. Just heard there's a storm coming to Boston where UMASS is definitely located. Also coach English needs a trench coat on hand to help out with the team bus
Funny reference as always but this game is at EBA. They already played at UMass earlier in the year so hopefully not trench coat is needed to help the team bus.

What if Phil Marteli took the UMass job?? Would the Hawk finally die?
I saw on twitter that Umass may want to pay 1.8m for a coach (no idea if that is true), but going after a guy like Martelli might be realistic for them. If he gets the job maybe he can train someone to be his heir after a few years and they get the continuity.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
UMass doesn't have the fire power to take us down at home. Feel like Oduro will be pissed after having a crappy game at Davidson and go off for 25+ here. Get the W and then on to the tourney!

Goodguys 73
McCall's Last Call 65

Last edited:

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
UMass doesn't have the fire power to take us down at home. Feel like Oduro will be pissed after having a crappy game at Davidson and go off for 25+ here. Get the W and then on the the tourney!

Goodguys 73
McCall's Last Call 65

He was kinda pissed at Davidson with the physical play of their bigs. He will like the Swiss cheese defense of UMass.

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
He was kinda pissed at Davidson with the physical play of their bigs. He will like the Swiss cheese defense of UMass.
I thought JO had lots of opportunity to draw contact going up from down low at Davidson. Although, I'm not sure he would have gotten the whistles. In key moments in the second half Josh was hacked badly on a three-footer and was dragged to the floor on a likely offensive rebound—both went for turnovers and not fouls. That pissed-off Josh, you could see it. But that variety of "pissed-off" disrupted his game throughout. JO has to treat the basket like it's his bitch, not become someone else's. Will it revert to motivation for UMass and beyond? Will the POY stand up? Stay tuned...

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Umass is playing tough for a fired coach that they all seem to love. That said Fernandes is playing which he didn’t in Amherst and he is far and away their best player. But their bigs are passive and soft so Josh should have himself a game. Mason by 5 as we send Schwartz into a long and successful European career.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
One thing that might help Josh is if learned to lower expectations of the refs. You won't get all the calls so pretend you aren't getting any and play with a chip on your shoulder. Next year, JO gonna need to love the physical side of the game if he wants to get to next level.