Game 28: HOMECOMING - GMU (15-12 / 7-7) vs La Salle (13-13 / 7-6) on Saturday, February 18, at 4:00 PM.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
This was the first game all season that I felt proud of the team's effort. La Salle came in like true road warriors and played the way I wish we would.

Our guards played tough, and shout out to Coop especially with the 9 boards. Polite did a bit of everything too. We won the turnover battle, and didn't completely sh*t the bed on free throws.

That was a hard fought victory, and I hope we can carry some momentum forward.
LaSalle definitely plays with an edge. That and terrific guards, which they have in spades, will take you a long way — especially in the hands of a competent coach. What Dunphy has done this season is nothing short of remarkable.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
LaSalle definitely plays with an edge. That and terrific guards, which they have in spades, will take you a long way — especially in the hands of a competent coach. What Dunphy has done this season is nothing short of remarkable.
That LaSalle team is tough and chippy. Honestly, if you're a fan of that team you should be very encouraged. Dunphy making chicken salad as usual....And that's probably what's most encouraging to me about us winning that game. LaSalle didn't give us anything. We had to take it and did.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Interesting that they would have allowed me to take my food into the drink section but not Vice versa. I was quickly stopped when I tried to get more food with a beer in my hand. Would have been nice if the guy said put it down and bring food over. Really doesn’t matter as I won’t be doing the tent again, just not really worth it if you have gold room already or other pregame festivities to be apart of.
I got to the tent at 2:30. At 2:35 they made announcement for last call. I wish they gave me a heads up before forking over my money lol. But my fault for getting there late.

patriotchild

Starter
La Salle played really well, no doubt. I was really encouraged by our guys effort for the second game in a row.

However… KE’s coaching, specifically the substitutions in the first half left me scratching my head. After coming out hot building a six point lead we never saw the staters after the u16 for a prolonged period. this was before ticket got into fouls trouble. Instead we got Blake, Saquan and Dink all at once and immediately gave the lead back. We also saw a bunch of other weird lineups that didn’t seem necessary or dictated by the situation and it led to the rest of the game being a grind.

Am I just not seeing something? Glad we won but still not confidence KE has figured out the rotation.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
KE is giving Jones every opportunity possible.
He is, and it makes sense because Blake has a combination of length, pedigree and basketball IQ that must be tantalizing for the staff. 6-10 stretch 4s who can hit the 3 and have feel for the game don’t grow on trees, especially in the A-10.

But the game needs to slow down for him at some point because he’s getting developmental minutes that could be given to more productive players.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I got to the tent at 2:30. At 2:35 they made announcement for last call. I wish they gave me a heads up before forking over my money lol. But my fault for getting there late.
Sorry to hear. I know they sent out the emails that the tent was 12-3 but I don’t know if you walked up or bought ahead.
He is, and it makes sense because Blake has a combination of length, pedigree and basketball IQ that must be tantalizing for the staff. 6-10 stretch 4s who can hit the 3 and have feel for the game don’t grow on trees, especially in the A-10.

But the game needs to slow down for him at some point because he’s getting developmental minutes that could be given to more productive players.
Yeah, I don’t know what to think about him. But at this point he gets beat off the dribble, usually doesn’t defend the right spot, shoots bricks and can’t even make a free throw. Throw in a dumb turnover usually and he gets yanked appropriately.

I haven’t seen anything out of him that makes me think he will turn the corner but maybe the staff has. He’s a unique skillset like you mentioned as well.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Sorry to hear. I know they sent out the emails that the tent was 12-3 but I don’t know if you walked up or bought ahead.

Yeah, I don’t know what to think about him. But at this point he gets beat off the dribble, usually doesn’t defend the right spot, shoots bricks and can’t even make a free throw. Throw in a dumb turnover usually and he gets yanked appropriately.

I haven’t seen anything out of him that makes me think he will turn the corner but maybe the staff has. He’s a unique skillset like you mentioned as well.
I didn’t get the email I bought a ticket at the tent. I just assumed it went to tip off

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Did anyone else hear Simpkins refer to one of the Lasalle players as "Thompson" during his chalk talk yesterday? I'm guessing he was the player that Petersen would guard lol

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
On the rotations, taking a second look at the box score the minutes distribution is interesting for yesterday, all of saquon and Dinkins minutes essentially came from Fernandez and Ticket, Ronnie played 38 minutes yesterday.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
On the rotations, taking a second look at the box score the minutes distribution is interesting for yesterday, all of saquon and Dinkins minutes essentially came from Fernandez and Ticket, Ronnie played 38 minutes yesterday.
The rotation definitely shortened up. After Blake had his few minutes disaster he didn’t come back in. Also, Malik had a few defensive struggles while in so I suspect that’s why his minutes were cut as well. Probably just not the best matchup for him. Even Ojiako didn’t play much other than the few minutes we went two bigs.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
The rotation definitely shortened up. After Blake had his few minutes disaster he didn’t come back in. Also, Malik had a few defensive struggles while in so I suspect that’s why his minutes were cut as well. Probably just not the best matchup for him. Even Ojiako didn’t play much other than the few minutes we went two bigs.
Yeah when they brought in Nickelberry and Gill and went 5 guards, Ojiako couldn’t be on the floor.

Honestly I’m surprised Dunphy waited as long as he did to spread us out and let Brantley and Brickus go 1-on-1. We couldn’t guard either one and couldn’t really give help because they had shooters all around the 3-point line.

LaSalle did us a huge favor by playing a fairly conventional lineup until the final 10-12 minutes.

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Dinkins really struggled with LaSalle pressure in the first half (in fairness some could have been other guys being out of position). I think KE figured he needed Ronnie in there almost the whole way to control the tempo and take care of the ball.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Dinkins really struggled with LaSalle pressure in the first half (in fairness some could have been other guys being out of position). I think KE figured he needed Ronnie in there almost the whole way to control the tempo and take care of the ball.
This team goes as Ronnie goes. Been that way all season, most of the time when he plays really well we’ve won. Just needs to be more consistent.

If you’re inclined to be encouraged by that, he does have two more years of eligibility left … could he become a top-5 PG in the A-10?

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Ronny deserves credit for the jump he's made from last season to this season. If he keeps working like he has, I don't see why he couldn't make another jump. But to be a top 5 PG, that jump and that consistency will have to come on the defensive end, not just on the offensive end.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
This team goes as Ronnie goes. Been that way all season, most of the time when he plays really well we’ve won. Just needs to be more consistent.

If you’re inclined to be encouraged by that, he does have two more years of eligibility left … could he become a top-5 PG in the A-10?
Ronny deserves credit for the jump he's made from last season to this season. If he keeps working like he has, I don't see why he couldn't make another jump. But to be a top 5 PG, that jump and that consistency will have to come on the defensive end, not just on the offensive end.
I know we’ve debated this at nauseoum, and can continue to debate it. We put a lot on him. And like you guys said, when he does well the team does well.

I’d still like to see him get someone to be his partner. He still gets bit by an injury bug occasionally and I don’t think Dinkins will be ready next year. I like Devin a lot but he needs some time.

Can a jump happen? Maybe. But it’s going to take a lot of work and consistency. You can always do worse than Ronny but you could do better especially in the a10.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

You never know.