Game 26: #12 ranked St. Louis, Feb 19th, 7 PM, NBCSN

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
It's actually pretty believable, if you stop to consider how badly this season has gone and how disgusted the fans have been with Hewitt.

It's obviously not an approach everyone can agree with, but people are speaking volumes by not showing up.

I would just assume that people would be interested in seeing a Top 10 team. Weather was nice and early start. I think that says volumes about the fanbase, unfortunately.

Petey Buckets

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The season ticket holder sections were mostly full. Student turnout wasn't great but maybe they have midterms or something. The real lack of people showed in the top corner sections - 119-122 and 125-128 were completely empty.

We're at the point where the people who show up no matter what are the ones that are showing up. Casual fans have no interest in this team and it's impossible to blame them. St. Louis is having a tremendous season, but they're not a draw in terms of name recognition.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I don't know what people are complaining about. We went to overtime twice against the #10 team in the country! I can't wait until the new rankings come out on Monday. What do you think we'll be? #11? #12?
maybe Feinstein will give us his 25th place vote

Here's what I took from watching the game...

...Edwards had a bunch of games in a row of not playing...and then gets put in the game in the 1st half.

...VG had played (sparingly) in the last 3 games and gets a DNP last night.

...Allen was 0-the 2nd half/ot. the last shot he hit was the 3 at the halftime buzzer. Yet they kept running plays for him. Didn't get that part of it.

...instead of realize Jett would get a running start by throwing the ball in and then having it tossed right back to him, Mason let it happen. Why not put Loe's man on Jett as he threw in the ball and Jett's man on Loe to make it tough. As soon as the ball is thrown in, switch. Now Jett's man is already in front of him and not chasing. Everyone in the arena knew Jett was going to take it to the rack. And we let him without trying anything but a weak block attempt at the end. If Jett couldn't get it into Loe, maybe someone else has to come back to get the ball and it blows up the St Louis play.

...Key sequence was the 3 missed shots in a row that would have pushed the lead to 9 or 10. Wright misses the lay up, the rebound goes to Holloway who misses from 3 and another missed 15footer. Would have made it 50/51-41. Might have been a huge play. Instead...no points and St Louis comes back.

...Holloway and Jenkins still don't understand how to play a proper zone defense. Holloway would have been perfect for Westhead. No defense, all shooting. He would be a better Riley Trone.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The season ticket holder sections were mostly full. Student turnout wasn't great but maybe they have midterms or something. The real lack of people showed in the top corner sections - 119-122 and 125-128 were completely empty.
One day I envision seeing the Platoon seated next to the band. Then, as the opponents are shooting free throws with 00.9 left on the clock, they'll shoot into lots of college kids screaming.....not an empty section with the Platoon 100 feet behind the shooter. We are the only school in America that places the student section behind the wrong basket.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
One day I envision seeing the Platoon seated next to the band. Then, as the opponents are shooting free throws with 00.9 left on the clock, they'll shoot into lots of college kids screaming.....not an empty section with the Platoon 100 feet behind the shooter. We are the only school in America that places the student section behind the wrong basket.

I would not like that because I sit in 108 (used to be 109 until the band moved) and I like it there and I don't want to move.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023

Not that our students routinely fill their student section but by moving them next to the band you're limiting how big the section can be. I think they should just allow students to sit on both sides which would solve the issue most fans have and there would still be ample room for them on big or more popular game days.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I would just assume that people would be interested in seeing a Top 10 team. Weather was nice and early start. I think that says volumes about the fanbase, unfortunately.

No offense to SLU, but if they were really a top-10 team like a Syracuse or Arizona, the attendance would've been better.

Remember, the polls once said that vcu was a top-10 team and UMass was in the top 15 at one point. Neither of those teams have gotten back into the polls after falling out.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Last night at least those who sit in 108 (myself including) and the band did a pretty decent job of making noise it seemed. It didn't seem like last night the college kids on the other side were doing much as it was the same 3 rows who are always into it. I see your point though, although like GMUSSTN I don't want to move either.

ricky

Preferred Walk-On
Here's what I took from watching the game...

...Edwards had a bunch of games in a row of not playing...and then gets put in the game in the 1st half.

...VG had played (sparingly) in the last 3 games and gets a DNP last night.

...Allen was 0-the 2nd half/ot. the last shot he hit was the 3 at the halftime buzzer. Yet they kept running plays for him. Didn't get that part of it.

...instead of realize Jett would get a running start by throwing the ball in and then having it tossed right back to him, Mason let it happen. Why not put Loe's man on Jett as he threw in the ball and Jett's man on Loe to make it tough. As soon as the ball is thrown in, switch. Now Jett's man is already in front of him and not chasing. Everyone in the arena knew Jett was going to take it to the rack. And we let him without trying anything but a weak block attempt at the end. If Jett couldn't get it into Loe, maybe someone else has to come back to get the ball and it blows up the St Louis play.

...Key sequence was the 3 missed shots in a row that would have pushed the lead to 9 or 10. Wright misses the lay up, the rebound goes to Holloway who misses from 3 and another missed 15footer. Would have made it 50/51-41. Might have been a huge play. Instead...no points and St Louis comes back.

...Holloway and Jenkins still don't understand how to play a proper zone defense. Holloway would have been perfect for Westhead. No defense, all shooting. He would be a better Riley Trone.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
what if you were moved to the same seats, just in section 124?

It would be one small student section if it was limited to section 108.

Just switch it around. Give the students sections 108, 109. Season ticket holders 124 and the band in 123.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
It would be one small student section if it was limited to section 108.

Just switch it around. Give the students sections 108, 109. Season ticket holders 124 and the band in 123.

Not that I'm against it, but to be fair having the band near our staff sorta makes it harder on them to coordinate with the players etc. There's probably no good solution other than keep it the way it is, to be honest.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Not that I'm against it, but to be fair having the band near our staff sorta makes it harder on them to coordinate with the players etc. There's probably no good solution other than keep it the way it is, to be honest.

Yea I don't disagree with you. It's probably best to keep it the way it is. At least the band is still on the opposing side at the end and the students currently have ample room for when they do decide to show up.

mason2k1

Starter
speaking of which, their coach was on the court the entire night.
i thought he was checking in at one point.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
awesome. GMUSSTN?

I sit right in front of mkauf (I think) but I really like where I sit. I never sat in the student section when I was in undergrad because I was in the band, so ironically I sat pretty much right where I'm sitting now all through undergrad. I'm pretty attached to my seats.

Anyway I think the only way it would work is if you moved the half-section of donors (bottom half of 108) across to 123 or 124, cutting the student section off over there so they can fill in the rows leading to the opposing team's bench. Might make sense but I'd just as soon not move, especially since we don't have the student attendance to fill up 123 and 124, much less the half-section above the donor seating in 128.

So I guess in short I would like to stay put, but if they were going to move us there's not really much I can do about it. Would be really weird watching the game from a section not on the visitor's end...