Game 25: GMU (16-8 / 5-6) vs GW (14-9 / 3-7) on Tuesday, February 13, at 7:00 PM.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
The game is on MASN.

We played at GW on January 15 and lost 75-62. We started very slowly and were down 37-24 at the half. We shot a dismal 7-31 from the field in the first half and just 5-23 from 3 for the game. We were out rebounded 30-22 and committed 12 turnovers. Keyshawn Hall paced us with 19, Amari Kelly had 14, and Darius Maddox had 11. Darren Buchanan Jr. and James Bishop IV led the Revolutionaries with 21 and 20 respectively.
Box score: https://gwsports.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2023-24/george-mason/boxscore/14231

KenPom: Gives us an 83% chance of winning.
GMU - 101
GW - 203
NET:
Mason - 94
GW - 176

We are now 10-22 (.313) against GW all-time.

GW is currently 14-9 on the season and 3-7 in A10 play. They are 11-4 at home, 1-4 on the road, and 2-1 at neutral sites. They are 0-6 since we played then in January.

Wins: Stonehill (89-44), William & Mary (95-89), Hofstra (71-60), New Hampshire (79-67), Ohio (99-94 2OT), Delaware (81-71), Navy (79-77 OT), Coppin St. (76-45), Bowie St. (88-73), Alcorn St. (79-75), UMES (69-63), vcu (84-82), Davidson (83-79 OT), GMU (75-62)
Losses: UIC (89-79), South Carolina (89-67), Fordham (119-113 3OT), UMass (81-67), Richmond (82-74), La Salle (80-70), Dayton (83-61), Rhode Island (88-65), Loyola Chicago (81-73)

Schedule: https://gwsports.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule
Roster: https://gwsports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster
Stats: https://gwsports.com/documents/2023/11/7/2023-24_Game_Notes_Part1.pdf

Probable Starters:
6’2” James Bishop IV (17.1 ppg) - Senior
6’7” Darren Buchanan Jr. (15.7 ppg & 6.8 reb) - Redshirt Freshman
6’8” Garrett Johnson (13.8 ppg &5.7 reb) - Redshirt Freshman
6'5" Maximus Edwards (12.3 ppg & 7.1 reb) - Redshirt Sophomore
6”10 Babatunde Akingbola (3.9 ppg & 5.6 reb) - Grad Student

Reserves averaging double digit minutes:
6’3” Jacoi Hutchinson (5.4 ppg) - Freshman
6’4” Trey Autry (5.2 ppg) - Freshman
6’7” Benny Schroder (4.6 ppg) - Sophomore

Team Stats:
GW averages 79.2 points per game while giving up 76.9.

The Revolutionaries shoot 44.5% from the floor and 35.3% from 3.
Opponents are shooting 41.3% from the field and 33.4% from 3.
GW shoots 74.2% from the free throw line.

They have out rebounded by opponents by .5 boards per game and average 13.7 turnovers per contest.

My prediction: Another HUGE game. We need revenge. No prediction on my end. Will Maddox play? Will we defend the home court? A win goes a long way in avoiding the PIG with Dayton and Richmond looming.

Discuss.

Attachments

• patriotsvsrevs2-2final.jpg
    patriotsvsrevs2-2final.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 104,275
Last edited by a moderator:
former asst/current George Washington coach Chris Caputo said. "George Mason's a former commuter school, was D-II, had seven straight losing seasons when he got there & hasn't sniffed the (NCAAs) since he left." It bothers me that a decent percentage of this fan base are hugs/kisses/wishing him well. This Mason fan has a long memory and I remember that shot he took at us. I wish we had more of an Al Davis edge as an athletic department and as a fan base… I hope we win by 50 and make Caputo CRY. (I don’t care either if this gets dislikes. I want ruthlessness and winning games not everyone being cheerful and diplomatic)

psyclone

Hall of Famer
former asst/current George Washington coach Chris Caputo said. "George Mason's a former commuter school, was D-II, had seven straight losing seasons when he got there & hasn't sniffed the (NCAAs) since he left." It bothers me that a decent percentage of this fan base are hugs/kisses/wishing him well. This Mason fan has a long memory and I remember that shot he took at us. I wish we had more of an Al Davis edge as an athletic department and as a fan base… I hope we win by 50 and make Caputo CRY. (I don’t care either if this gets dislikes. I want ruthlessness and winning games not everyone being cheerful and diplomatic)
I'll happily settle for a win, regardless of margin.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Big one again. Gw has been in free fall after beating us. Somehow they also won at vcu.

hopefully we get Maddox back and our depth provides another lift. We need them. At home mason handles gw fairly well compared to the Smith Center.Another win would push Mason further from pillow fight.

For Gw it always starts with Bishop but Buchanan, Edwards and their center all impacted the game last time a lot. Hopefully our guys are ready.

Important for this game: Darren Buchanan, who has dominated basically every A-10 team in the paint, suffered a groin injury against Loy-Chi this weekend and missed the last portion of the game. Caputo seemed to suggest in his presser that it was a injury that leaned toward the serious side, so if he is out Tuesday, that is a huge blow to GWs inside game.

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023

Agreed. GW is trash. At Foggy Bottom you had Buchanan mimicking firing pistols at our bench after hitting a first-half three, their cheer/dance teams still go all bush league with their antics when opponents are shooting free throws and Caputo is saying quotes like above when he regularly plays home games in front of less than 1,000 fans. Meanwhile, he's got a first team all conference point guard, likely 2 all rookie teamers and he's still on his way to the PIG.

Hope we run them out of the building and they eventually downgrade to the CAA or Patriot League.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Agreed. GW is trash. At Foggy Bottom you had Buchanan mimicking firing pistols at our bench after hitting a first-half three, their cheer/dance teams still go all bush league with their antics when opponents are shooting free throws and Caputo is saying quotes like above when he regularly plays home games in front of less than 1,000 fans. Meanwhile, he's got a first team all conference point guard, likely 2 all rookie teamers and he's still on his way to the PIG.

Hope we run them out of the building and they eventually downgrade to the CAA or Patriot League.

On Darren Buchanan: he was on 3 Bid League and they asked him if the GW-Mason rivalry was a real thing and he said it absolutely is: so it’s time to take off the kid gloves and go full hate about this school and their bougie students/fan base and their superior attitude (this includes their coach and players towards us).

PiKapp, I expect something special from you on this front!

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
If Buchanan is out we should crush them. If he’s in no idea. They’ve played like shit lately but they also took us behind the woodshed a few weeks ago and exposed a lot of our flaws.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
What can we say about gw? They aren’t the type to work at McDonald’s, probably aren’t artists. Just snobby brats who realize they suck worse at basketball more than us?

My former neighbor is a gw alum and is nice lol. Much nicer than any vcu alum I’ve encountered.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
What can we say about gw? They aren’t the type to work at McDonald’s, probably aren’t artists. Just snobby brats who realize they suck worse at basketball more than us?

My former neighbor is a gw alum and is nice lol. Much nicer than any vcu alum I’ve encountered.
The only unique thing about GW is that it costs a lot of money to go there. I don't think there's much more to them.

Don’t rip my head off for not being in the loop on this one… I haven’t lived in the dc area in almost a decade. Did we attempt to send some of the Mason Maniaks to the @ GW game or have they attempted road trips? I realize Brooklyn is a big ask for college kids BUT maybe the athletic department should put that big screen up in the Johnson center and put our conference tournament game or games on….

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Don’t rip my head off for not being in the loop on this one… I haven’t lived in the dc area in almost a decade. Did we attempt to send some of the Mason Maniaks to the @ GW game or have they attempted road trips? I realize Brooklyn is a big ask for college kids BUT maybe the athletic department should put that big screen up in the Johnson center and put our conference tournament game or games on….

I know they used to offer a bus and a hotel deal for students during the conference tournament but I don’t know if they still do that (assuming they must).

Is the tournament during Mason’s spring break? Nope, just checked, it’s the week before the tournament (which also means students will be largely gone on senior night)…too bad. Could have been perfect timing.

Gosh am I allowed to say Colonials in this thread or would that be like misgendering someone? Anyway, I hope everybody has a good time tonight and I hope the visiting fans don't make fun of our new 90% acceptance rate.

If there are visiting fans on a Tuesday, I suppose! I hope there can be productive discussions on the Israel-Palestinian conflict if there are because I have a lot of Jewish friends that went to GW and a lot of Arab friends that went to GMU and GMU Prince William and GMU Dubai.

Can our media like By George please do their jobs and try and get some dirt from Caputo on Larranaga?

Thanks in advance