Game 24: AT UMass, Feb 12th, 7 PM, NO TV

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The next time any of our guards can stop an opposing player driving to the basket on a consistent basis will be the first time......
So if Edwards can't contribute when we have the ball, I don't see why he should be out there.

Last edited:
P

pjjack

Spectator
UMass is a very-very good home team. They are undefeated at home this year and are 36-5 at home since the start of the 2011/12 season AKA the Chaz Williams era. The 5 losses have come to LaSalle 2 years ago, and Butler, GW, Temple, and Miami(FL) last year. The Mullins Center is a tough place to play, it is a big arena with a capacity of just under 10K, they don't sell many games out but they do draw in the 6K range per game which would be a sellout out at 85% of college arenas. Because of the size of the area opposing players have said it is hard to get used to the sight lines when shooting the ball.

Yesterday URI found some success driving the ball to the basket when Cady LaLanne wasn't in the game. Had foul problems. But URI also have problems many times when driving to the hoop, Umass had I think 12 blocked shots. For GM to win Wednesday they will need to shoot lights out and make Umass play in the half court offense where they have had their problems. This will be a tough game for GM but if they can hit some three's and rebound the way they did on 1/15 they will have a chance.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I'll call this week a success if we play well in defeat on Wednesday and beat the Bonnies on Saturday.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I would love to know if any Fairfax bars plan to pick up the web feed for the game (Brion's, Hard Times, The Mason Inn, etc...).
Brion's usually has the games on even when they are only via web feed.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
rpiforecast: Mason is a 13.6 pt underdog; 11% chance of winning
realtimerpi: 22 pt underdog; 16% chance of winning

Not sure why the bigger spread is associated with the higher chance of winning, but that's what the sites say.

no line yet from las vegas insider

F

Flexxar

Spectator
This is some of what Umass has on their boards:

"For a team that's 1-7 (or is it 1-8?) in league, they've had a ton of ridiculously heart breaking losses. The choke job vs us. OT with URI. OT with SLU on the road. A few four and six point losses with GWU, SJU and Fordham. They even apparently played great against vcu before falling by 14 in a game that apparently didn't at all reflect the final outcome (late FT's, etc). So yeah, on paper, they're 1-7 or 1-8 but they are literally a handful of bounced away from being 4-5 or 5-4 and they've only once been beaten badly (to Dayton). "

"And Marty you're totally right about GMU, their record sucks, but they are not bad. Fordham is awful, GMU can compete."

"GMU is better than their record indicates. We were lucky to get a "W" on their court; I imagine they're looking for a little pay back. On the other hand, they can't sneak up on us."

Their fans show more optimism for our program than our fans do...

Patriotfan49

Starter
This is some of what Umass has on their boards:

"For a team that's 1-7 (or is it 1-8?) in league, they've had a ton of ridiculously heart breaking losses. The choke job vs us. OT with URI. OT with SLU on the road. A few four and six point losses with GWU, SJU and Fordham. They even apparently played great against vcu before falling by 14 in a game that apparently didn't at all reflect the final outcome (late FT's, etc). So yeah, on paper, they're 1-7 or 1-8 but they are literally a handful of bounced away from being 4-5 or 5-4 and they've only once been beaten badly (to Dayton). "

"And Marty you're totally right about GMU, their record sucks, but they are not bad. Fordham is awful, GMU can compete."

"GMU is better than their record indicates. We were lucky to get a "W" on their court; I imagine they're looking for a little pay back. On the other hand, they can't sneak up on us."

Their fans show more optimism for our program than our fans do...

They are saying the same thing that has been said by most here (minus a few)...we have the talent and ability to compete each night against any A10 team....something (coach or player blunder) just always seems to get in the way. This is not breaking news

That being said not sure about it being that optimistic with the bolded words.....

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Another moral victory I guess - some opposing fans realize we're better than our record. A lot of opposing fans have the same view as many GMU fans though I suspect, that Hewitt won't get it done long term. I think some UMass fans realize that GMU is capable of putting together a great game and are a bit concerned. Personally, I'm not optimistic because I haven't seen any evidence under Hewitt that good play/wins will ever be sustained under him.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Mason scoring by class in the first game vs. UMass:

Freshmen - 20 pts.
Sophomores - 6
Juniors - 5
Seniors - 56

Yossarian

Sixth Man
We need to sweep Chazz Michael Michaels' leg early in the game. And that's all I've got. I'm even re-using the same stupid joke I dropped the last time we played these guys. This game makes me nervous, but I plan to imbibe and enjoy watching it on TV somewhere. I'm really looking forward to it. :cigar:
Chazz_Michael_Michaels_by_swarley89.jpg