Game 24: AT UMass, Feb 12th, 7 PM, NO TV

psyclone

Hall of Famer
UMass plays at Rhode Island on Sunday at 4 PM which can be viewed on CBS SN.

We all remember what happened on Jan 15th so no sense in rehashing history there. UMass has a 18-4 record coming into today, losing at Richmond, at St. Bonaventure and St. Joseph's in conference. They have a 9-0 home record.

Stats are here:
http://www.umassathletics.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2013-2014/teamcume.html

Four players average double figures in points.

There a hard team to figure. Very good early season, but just before our game with them, the won narrowly at home vs St. Bonaventure and another conference team that wasn't very good (URI, Duq??). On the other hand I saw the game they hosted Fordham and they put on a high octane clinic. Hoping we avoid the latter and can hang in there and get lucky at the end.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Don't have a very good vibe for this game. I think Chaz Williams will go off on us and score 30 points. HOWEVER, we have Jalen Jenkins the man-child! We keep the winning going and keep the champagne flowing! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Goodguys 73
Bedroom Minutemen 70

polepino

Starter
I'm not sure how to call this game even though, techincally, it is going to be tough to play them at home. I would like to think that, since we played with them for most of the game in Fairfax, we should see another closely contested game. Hopefully the guys now know how to explot any weaknesses they saw last time and pull out the 'surprise' W.:fistpunch:

OP
Washingtonian

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
Bummer not on TV. The last one was such a good one.

I check both school's athletic web pages, just in case, since there are a lot of sports channels in that part of the northeast.

The A-10 is showing these games on TV on Wed. night:
GW at vcu - NBCSN
Rhode Island at Dayton - SNY/WHIO/OSN
Fordham at St. Bonaventure (9 PM) - SNY

MASN is showing Texas Tech at Oklahoma at 8 PM.
Wizards are on CSN Wed. night.

GMU_DCU

All-Conference
I watched the second half of the Rhode island/UMass game yesterday. Was very similiar to our game against UMass. Rhode Island built up a lead in the second half and Chaz Williams willed UMass to a win at the end. UMass had a hard time stopping penetration from Rhode Island's freshmen E.C. Matthews who had 20+ points. If he didn't take it all the way to the basket he kicked it out to Mumford for open 3s. Williams and Putney were the stars for UMass...I'm not sure why Cady Lalanne was not more of the game plan for UMass he should be much more of a force down low he only had 6 points against the Rams.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
I check both school's athletic web pages, just in case, since there are a lot of sports channels in that part of the northeast.

The A-10 is showing these games on TV on Wed. night:
GW at vcu - NBCSN
Rhode Island at Dayton - SNY/WHIO/OSN
Fordham at St. Bonaventure (9 PM) - SNY

MASN is showing Texas Tech at Oklahoma at 8 PM.
Wizards are on CSN Wed. night.

Our Wed game is a "premium" on the A10 digital network.

sigmanorm

Starter
Let's see if this works again

Gray will plan 6 mins or more
Copes will get at least 4 fouls and 8 rebs
Allen will score 18, Wright will score 17, Jenkins will go for 15
The rest of the team will score 10.

So final score GMU 60, Duq UMass 67 or 57

Yossarian

Sixth Man
I would love to know if any Fairfax bars plan to pick up the web feed for the game (Brion's, Hard Times, The Mason Inn, etc...).

mason89

Starter
Corey Edwards did not play in the first game vs. UMass. I wonder if Coach Hewitt will play him in this game?

I think we need to try him on Williams since he's probably the only one quick enough to guard him one-on-one. His offense/ball-handling might be a liability, though.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
I think we need to try him on Williams since he's probably the only one quick enough to guard him one-on-one. His offense/ball-handling might be a liability, though.

I think Moore is the quickest player on the team. But, that obviously didn't work well last time we faced them so Hewitt might as well give Corey a shot.

mason89

Starter
I think Moore is the quickest player on the team. But, that obviously didn't work well last time we faced them so Hewitt might as well give Corey a shot.

Without a doubt, Moore is quicker and more decisive on the offensive end, but he still needs to work on his D. Eventually, he will be a great all around point guard. For now, Edwards is a better on the ball defender. The question is, can we afford to have Edwards run the point and have Moore on the bench. At this point, we can't afford to have both on the floor at the same time.

JBiggs

Starter
I would actually like to see Edwards and Moore on the floor at the same time. Two ball handlers that can bail each other out. And Corey would have some chances to get set for 3's off of MM drive and kicks. He's such an efficient 3-point-shooter when he gets set.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Corey needs minutes and he must be inserted against UMass. How Coach H couldn't recognize that list time is beyond me. I actually thought Corey was being punished for something.