Game 23 HOMECOMING: GMU (12-10 / 5-4) vs vcu (15-7 / 8-3) on Saturday, February 12 at 4PM.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
If yesterday was the worst game of the Kim English era, then so be it. Lets hope it is. I just overall was disappointed with how the guys played especially defensively. vcu is playing some really good ball now and probably had one of their best offense games of the season, but its still no excuse to give them the opportunity to shoot wide open threes and drive into the paint at will. On offense, they denied Mason to get any flow and it led to a lot of 1 on 1 play instead of spacing and ball movement.

That said, Mason gets a rematch and I expect them to play much better.

It would be nice at some point of our lives to see Mason beat vcu in Fairfax. 2 wins over the last decade is not good at all. 2012 and 2016. Some of the losses have been downright bad as well.
We’ve had more success against them in Richmond than Fairfax over the last decade. Truly bizarro world stuff.

VVRams!

Preferred Walk-On
Lol all good man, appreciate the apology and comment. Just thought it was random since I haven’t been picked on before on there. It made me laugh. Usually @VVRams! just likes to pick on me in person but hopefully @CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY will take care of him today for me.
Actually, I did look out for Chris to say what's up but didn't see him. He was probably in a bathroom stall crying, haha.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
The presser makes me freaking sick. Yea Josh.... you need to step the F up in a heated rivalry game like this and take no prisoners. Praising the other teams bigs on defending you is something you need to not dispose publicly... a phrase you should of used is I'm going to be a junk yard dog and come bite their heads off and go right at them next time is what we need to hear. Ward is a pussy.

His timidness is getting old. Time to grow the F up and be that dominant player every damn game! Especially against an average vcu team at home. Jesus H Christ.
18 points & 9 rebounds (would rank 1st & 2nd in A10 as an average) against the #15 ranked defense in the NCAA, 17th in FG% defense, 15th in scoring defense, and 11th in forced turnovers.

But go off keyboard warrior.

Last edited:

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
It always sucks to lose to vcu.

This team depends on the starting 5 to do pretty much everything. But keep in mind, this is only Year #1 of the Kim English era. Kim English said during the post game press conference after the second Richmond game, that Mason will have depth in the future. Year #3, year #4, and year #5 of Kim English is going to be much better and deeper, so I'm excited for the future of Mason basketball.
What about year 2?. Kinda nervous to loose a guy like Schwartz. Although is it possible he returns? I believe he was a redshirt. So with covid he should get 6 years of eligibility right?

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
What about year 2?. Kinda nervous to loose a guy like Schwartz. Although is it possible he returns? I believe he was a redshirt. So with covid he should get 6 years of eligibility right?

Unfortunately Schwartz is done. You get a free year due to covid and he never took a redshirt.

I’m not sure what next year will be like. I do think it could be choppy again, but we have to see what type of roster turnover we have. The transfer portal will be hit hard, but there’s no guarantee all transfers pan out as good as Cooper Schwartz and Gaines.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Unfortunately Schwartz is done. You get a free year due to covid and he never took a redshirt.

I’m not sure what next year will be like. I do think it could be choppy again, but we have to see what type of roster turnover we have. The transfer portal will be hit hard, but there’s no guarantee all transfers pan out as good as Cooper Schwartz and Gaines.

Should have a little bit more margin for error. He should be replacing 2 starters (Cooper, Schwartz) instead of 4 (Kolek, Greene, Miller, Wilson). I say 2 because if Dinkins replaces XJ as the starter it’s because he is outplaying him. With Fernandez getting an extra semester, I have a good feeling about him taking over one of the two.

One open scholarship still. Maybe 2-3 transfers out. So somewhere between 3-4 players still to come in.

We should be deeper next year even if (depending on who any transfers are) we will be losing lots of experience. But even then you’ve got Gaines, XJ, and Oduro to take over those upperclassmen spots on the team.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Should have a little bit more margin for error. He should be replacing 2 starters (Cooper, Schwartz) instead of 4 (Kolek, Greene, Miller, Wilson). I say 2 because if Dinkins replaces XJ as the starter it’s because he is outplaying him. With Fernandez getting an extra semester, I have a good feeling about him taking over one of the two.

One open scholarship still. Maybe 2-3 transfers out. So somewhere between 3-4 players still to come in.

We should be deeper next year even if (depending on who any transfers are) we will be losing lots of experience. But even then you’ve got Gaines, XJ, and Oduro to take over those upperclassmen spots on the team.

Its a fair point. I only say choppy because Dinkins and Fernandez will be freshmen. Are they completely ready for D1 ball or more ready because they are really good recruits. TBD. Also, with the points regarding transfers, its an assumption that whoever is picked up is as good as Cooper and Schwartz. Thats a lot of production to replace. If adequate production is replaced then the team will definitely be better next year, but theres no guarentee of that with transfers.

We'll see, but yes, they should be deeper which should yield more wins.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Its a fair point. I only say choppy because Dinkins and Fernandez will be freshmen. Are they completely ready for D1 ball or more ready because they are really good recruits. TBD. Also, with the points regarding transfers, its an assumption that whoever is picked up is as good as Cooper and Schwartz. Thats a lot of production to replace. If adequate production is replaced then the team will definitely be better next year, but theres no guarentee of that with transfers.

We'll see, but yes, they should be deeper which should yield more wins.

True about the freshmen, but at least for Dinkins he will have to unseat an incumbent to get starters minutes, and XJ has been playing pretty well of late. Right now, the only question needs be can Dinkins be better than Polite?

And whoever replaces Schwartz and Cooper might not have to replicate their production for a few reasons. One, Gaines will be expected to be more aggressive next year and take more shots. And two, hopefully we have a better bench and we will have at least two players who can be counted on the average 5-7 ppg and play more than 10 mpg and so the starting wings won’t be asked to play 36-38 minutes every night and shoulder the bulk of the non-Oduro scoring load. I could say three, that XJ is averaging 12 ppg in A10 play and might grow into the third option on offense next year.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Actually, I did look out for Chris to say what's up but didn't see him. He was probably in a bathroom stall crying, haha.

That is indeed what happened, but probably not for the reasons you think. I've some friends working in security at EBA and they were able to share footage of the scene. (yes, they're watching you go pee-pee)

In this security camera footage, you'll find Chris trying to enjoy a nice piss when he's rudely interrupted by @CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY. @mkaufman1 also makes a came appearance near the end.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm3iwINTF90&t=88s

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

Damn. I’ll take your word for it. I’m fuzzy on the rules. I thought grad transfers get 5 years automatically.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Damn. I’ll take your word for it. I’m fuzzy on the rules. I thought grad transfers get 5 years automatically.

You normally get 5 years to complete 4. With no redshirt you’d exhaust your eligibility in 4 years. Schwartz got an extra COVID year and is taking advantage of it here (thank you DeShawn!). He will be playing pro overseas next year I’m sure.

Cooper is in a different spot. He’s a red-shirt senior technically and has a COVID year still available if he wants to take it. But since he transferred here, he’d take Kabimba’s current opener scholarship for next season.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Watched once again the UConn game!! Thanks for that link! Talk about big time performance before a great crowd! Highlight of my very long sports fan life! (Being at that game that is, not just watching it on youtube!)