Game 23: GMU (15-7 / 4-5) vs Loyola Chicago (15-7 / 7-2) on Wednesday, February 7, at 7:00 PM.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
They took 53 shots, we only got off 37. Ball game.
Turning the ball over 17 times, leading to 19 Loyola points, will directly result in less shots for you and more shots for them.

Our defense in the second half, particularly in the paint towards the end, was atrocious though. I have no idea why Kelly wasn't more aggressive seeing as he wasn't in foul trouble at that point.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Turning the ball over 17 times, leading to 19 Loyola points, will directly result in less shots for you and more shots for them.

Our defense in the second half, particularly in the paint towards the end, was atrocious though. I have no idea why Kelly wasn't more aggressive seeing as he wasn't in foul trouble at that point.

The defense was letting them waltz right up
To the rim and gave up a ton of uncontested layups to start the half. It was mindbogglingly bad defense. After the first 3 shots Skinn should have put Henry in and just told him to not them them score no matter how badly he had to hack them as soon as they caught the ball (this is what Loyola was doing to us and it seemed to work out great for them—if their defense broke down they just hacked our players and reset).

I’d also love to see our perimeter players playing more into the shorts of the opposing teams guards. They were also overplaying ball pressure a ton on the perimeter and that made our non-ball handlers (especially Kelly who for some reason didn’t want to mix it up in the low post) really uncomfortable.

Me too. I used to live and die by my teams, year round. I watched tons of games (NFL, NBA, MLB, NCAAF, NCAAB), but no more. Maybe it's my age, but I told my wife after last night's game, "I don't have 2 hours of my life to spend like this anymore."
I don't watch one eighth of the games I used to watch (Mason being the exception), but darn, I sure would like to get out of this crappy time-loop we have been in for the past 50 years (Coach L years excepted.) I'm sick of it.
I love Tony, and I truly believe he can win here. But still, my clock ticks on.
Sorry for being morose, but that's where I am.
So where are you going to spend those 2 hours? The Kennedy Center? Fastidiously cutting your lawn with a Home Depot monstrosity? Giving up on the program isn’t going to help us

Mason2005

All-American
GIVING DAY 2023
If players have to sit a season again when they transfer, it'll be interesting what NIL looks like. Are they really going to pay a player to sit.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
So where are you going to spend those 2 hours? The Kennedy Center? Fastidiously cutting your lawn with a Home Depot monstrosity? Giving up on the program isn’t going to help us
LOL! So you really want to go there. Okay.
First, if you had read what I wrote, you will see that I clearly said "Mason being the exception." I never hinted that I was giving up on a program that I have been following since decades before you were born.
As for your feeble attempts at sarcasm, my yard is one of the best kept on the street, thank you. It has drawn many compliments from neighbors and passersby over the years. (And I bought my mower at Lowes, not Home Depot.)
And finally, regarding the Kennedy Center.
I have sung there over 20 times, performing with the National Symphony, and under the batons of the likes of Aaron Copeland and Leonard Bernstein. I have also performed at the National Cathedral, the National Gallery of Art, the Folger Shakespeare Library, and Carnegie Hall. I have also had performing audiences with 3 presidents at the White House.
Grow up kid, then get back with me.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I didn’t realize that shooting 59% from the field and 33 FTs was “struggling in offense.”

We were up 8 at the half and scored 44 points. We then came out and let them score on 8 of their first 10 shots while also shooting well ourselves. The difference being they sent us to the line a bunch and we kept going 1-2 and they whittled us down and then we just collapsed.
Like others have said, we gave the ball to the other team 17 times last night. Great offense!

I'm not claiming to have studied it completely, but it seems to me that during the last three games at about the 4-5 min mark left in the game, we have gotten ridiculously sloppy on offense resulting in close games becoming 5-6 point deficits - which we can't overcome. In this game, I think it was an Okojie slip, a Keyshawn bad pass, and a Ronny bad pass. In the other games it was a similar meltdown. Not sure what the solution is, but it does seem odd that it is happening around the same time every game.

Last edited:

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm not claiming to have studied it completely, but it seems to me that during the last three games at about the 4-5 min left mark of the game, we have gotten ridiculously sloppy on offense resulting in close games becoming 5-6 point deficits which we can't overcome. In this game, I think it was an Okojie, slip, a Keyshawn bad pass, and a Ronny bad pass. In the other games it was a similar meltdown. Not sure what the solution is, but it does seem odd that it is happening around he same time every game.
Hmmmm....thats about when your PG leads, facilitates, scores, applies on ball pressure, and protects the ball.

Getting back to the Loyola game:

As pissed as we all were yesterday, I sure hope Keyshawn gets a standing ovation or something similar during introductions on Wednesday. We need to show him our support right now and we need him to stick around Fairfax for the next few years.

Maybe everyone jingles their keys for Key or something… do people still have keys in 2024?
Too bad he’s not as loyal as the fans are…. Standing ovations and jingling of keys… smh