Game 23: GMU (15-7 / 4-5) vs Loyola Chicago (15-7 / 7-2) on Wednesday, February 7, at 7:00 PM.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Loyola was picked 8th in preseason polls and Phillip Alston was voted to the 2nd team.

The game is on ESPN+.

KenPom:
Gives us a 68% chance of winning.
GMU - 95
Loyola Chicago - 123
NET:
Mason - 83
Loyola - 118

We are 1-1 (.500) against Loyola Chicago all-time, both games were played last season. We beat them at EBA 86-75 and lost on the road 69-61. Phillip Alston scored 23 in the loss and 13 in their win. Braden Norris scored 12 in the loss and 13 in the win.

Loyola Chicago is currently 15-7 on the season and 7-2 in A10 play. They are 11-2 at home, 3-3 on the road, and 1-2 at neutral sites.

Wins: Eastern Ill (89-65), New Orleans (73-70), Boston College (71-68), Chicago St. (62-53), Harvard (75-53), Goshen College (115-64), Charleston southern (72-59),
Central Michigan (73-35), St. Louis (80-73), Duquesne (72-67), St. Joe’s (78-75), UMass (79-78), Fordham (65-61), St. Louis (77-62), DAvidson (76-63)
Losses: #10 Florida Atlantic (75-62), UIC (72-67), #8 Creighton (88-65), Tulsa (88-77), South Florida (77-64), Richmond (58-56), vcu (74-67),

Schedule: https://loyolaramblers.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule
Roster: https://loyolaramblers.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster
Stats: https://loyolaramblers.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2023-24

Likely Starters? Their line-up has fluctuated greatly from game to game.
6’5” Des Watson (13.2 ppg) - Junior
6’6” Phillip Alston (12.6 ppg) - Senior
6’0” Braden Norris (9.0 ppg) - Grad Student
6’10” Miles Rubin (5.8 ppg) - Freshman
6’4” Sheldon Edwards (3.6 ppg) - Senior

Reserves averaging double figure minutes:
6’4” Jayden Dawson (9.9 ppg) - Sophomore - has 12 starts
6’8” Dame Adelekun (8.6 ppg) - Grad Student - has 3 starts
6’4” Greg Dolan (4.8 ppg) - Grad Student - has 9 starts
6’7” Patrick Mwamba (2.8 ppg) - Grad Student - has 3 starts

Team Stats:
Loyola averages 73.4 points per game while giving up 67.2.

The Ramblers shoot 46.2% from the floor and 35.8% from 3.
Opponents are shooting 39.7% from the field and 35.2% from 3.

The Ramblers shoot 68.6% from the free throw line.

They have out rebounded opponents by 2.7 boards per game and average 13.2 turnovers per contest.

My prediction: Loyola Chicago has completely changed their fortunes in just one year thanks in part to the portal. Last year they were 10-21 (4-14) so they have already surpassed overall and conference win totals. Well done Ramblers. They have good balance, size, and experience. Can we rebound from the cluster f#ck we just witnessed. Will the play define and demoralize us? Or, will it light a fire under us? TBD.

Discuss.

Attachments

• patriotvsramblers2final.jpg
    patriotvsramblers2final.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 87,090
Last edited:
I decided to change up the format a bit in the hopes it will be easier to read. I also thought adding the class of each player was a good idea and would give all of us a better idea about how experienced our opponent is.

Loyola was picked 8th in preseason polls and Phillip Alston was voted to the 2nd team.

The Ramblers play Davidson on Sunday at noon on CBS Sports Network so it’s a good chance to really scout them. I’ll update records, stats, and rankings after the game.

The game is on ESPN+.

KenPom:
Gives us a 68% chance of winning.
GMU - 95
Loyola Chicago - 123
NET:
Mason - 83
Loyola - 118

We are 1-1 (.500) against Loyola Chicago all-time, both games were played last season. We beat them at EBA 86-75 and lost on the road 69-61. Phillip Alston scored 23 in the loss and 13 in their win. Braden Norris scored 12 in the loss and 13 in the win.

Loyola Chicago is currently 14-7 on the season and 6-2 in A10 play. They are 10-2 at home, 3-3 on the road, and 1-2 at neutral sites.

Wins: Eastern Ill (89-65), New Orleans (73-70), Boston College (71-68), Chicago St. (62-53), Harvard (75-53), Goshen College (115-64), Charleston southern (72-59),
Central Michigan (73-35), St. Louis (80-73), Duquesne (72-67), St. Joe’s (78-75), UMass (79-78), Fordham (65-61), St. Louis (77-62)
Losses: #10 Florida Atlantic (75-62), UIC (72-67), #8 Creighton (88-65), Tulsa (88-77), South Florida (77-64), Richmond (58-56), vcu (74-67),

Schedule: https://loyolaramblers.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule
Roster: https://loyolaramblers.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster
Stats: https://loyolaramblers.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2023-24

Likely Starters? Their line-up has fluctuated greatly from game to game.
6’5” Des Watson (13.0 ppg) - Junior
6’6” Phillip Alston (12.9 ppg) - Senior
6’0” Braden Norris (8.8 ppg) - Grad Student
6’10” Miles Rubin (6.0 ppg) - Freshman
6’4” Sheldon Edwards (3.6 ppg) - Senior

Reserves averaging double figure minutes:
6’4” Jayden Dawson (9.9 ppg) - Sophomore - has 12 starts
6’8” Dame Adelekun (8.5 ppg) - Grad Student - has 3 starts
6’4” Greg Dolan (4.6 ppg) - Grad Student - has 9 starts
6’7” Patrick Mwamba (2.9 ppg) - Grad Student - has 3 starts

Team Stats:
Loyola averages 73.3 points per game while giving up 67.4.

The Ramblers shoot 46.2% from the floor and 35.0% from 3.
Opponents are shooting 39.7% from the field and 35.7% from 3.

The Ramblers shoot 69.0% from the free throw line.

They have out rebounded opponents by 2.7 boards per game and average 13.2 turnovers per contest.

My prediction: Loyola Chicago has completely changed their fortunes in just one year thanks in part to the portal. Last year they were 10-21 (4-14) so they have already surpassed overall and conference win totals. Well done Ramblers. They have good balance, size, and experience. Can we rebound from the cluster f#ck we just witnessed. Will the play define and demoralize us? Or, will it light a fire under us? TBD.

Discuss.

It's time to start trying different lineups. Play as many guys as possible. See who can handle late game scenarios and who can't.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
What line-up changes would you like to see?

I will say Wood and Ball have shown they can give us good minutes given the opportunity yet we almost never see them even when the first team is struggling or when they’re obviously tired.

Not sure what’s going on with Malik’s minutes but I’m assuming he’s not all the way there mentally right now which is understanable. But we could have used his toughness today on the defensive glass.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Time to go all in. All hands on deck. End the droughts. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Why? Skinn is trying to build a program not trying to win in one season. You’ll screw up your entire recruitment plan blowing Haynes’ year now.

Like if I’m going to do something drastic I might take Billups and Polite out of the starting lineup and start Newton at the 4 and Okojie at the 1.

Okojie
Maddox
Hall
Newton
Kelly

But I doubt this lineup changes anything.

Why? Skinn is trying to build a program not trying to win in one season. You’ll screw up your entire recruitment plan blowing Haynes’ year now.

Won't winning now help with recruiting?

Remember how Shaka did the Navy SEALS training with his teams? That seemed to have toughened them up and they sure won a lot with him.

We need to try something outside the box to reduce mental errors and become a tough team that can win on the road.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Won't winning now help with recruiting?

Remember how Shaka did the Navy SEALS training with his teams? That seemed to have toughened them up and they sure won a lot with him.

We need to try something outside the box to reduce mental errors and become a tough team that can win on the road.

They also lost to us on their home court by 20 the year they went to the final four, which included a flagrant foul on Ike Tate when a vcu player pushed him in the back when he was in mid-air…

JC_FoodcourtBandit

Preferred Walk-On
Jalen Haynes - F
Malik Henry - F/C
Devin Dinkins - G
Keyshaun Hall - G
Jared Billiups - G

See what we have in Dinkins and if we can build him for the next 2.5 years.

But... you'll probably rip my head off for "not offering a post of value"
Really like what you did with the lineup here. But I would put Ball in instead of Billups. Would love to see him and Dinkins bomb from 3 all game.

Maddox, Billups, Okojie, Kelly, and Polite would be a great 5 off of the bench too. Could almost have two lineups! We would be unstoppable

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Someone is trying to justify ripping the redshirt off 2 players two-thirds of the way through the season and inserting them directly into the starting lineup.

Loyola will be a tough game. They have some talented shooters and Austin Clauch (spelling?) who can give us fits. They’re going to have to be up for this game to neutralize the 3 and get the win.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Someone is trying to justify ripping the redshirt off 2 players two-thirds of the way through the season and inserting them directly into the starting lineup.

Loyola will be a tough game. They have some talented shooters and Austin Clauch (spelling?) who can give us fits. They’re going to have to be up for this game to neutralize the 3 and get the win.
Austin Clauch is a basketball coach. I think you’re mixing the name up lol

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Mason has not beaten a team ahead of them in the standings. The 3 teams directly ahead, vcu, UMASS and st joes are 3 losses by a combined 7 points.

If there’s any staff that can figure out how to eventually turn the tide for this program, it has to be Tony. And remember, for a few years, Mason was winning close game after close game with st joes and UMASS. Somehow we lost both this go round.

That said, another opportunity awaits Wednesday against Loy Chi. Time to hold serve at home and build on the positive things we saw today (defense), and correct the negative items (rebounding).

Also for anyone who will go Wednesday I hope the crowd cheers extra loud for Keyshawn. He deserves our support and hopefully it can be like a Trea Turner moment.

Last edited: