Game 23: GMU (12-10 / 4-5) vs UMass (13-8 / 4-5) on Wednesday, February 1, at 7:00 PM.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Is Frank Martin now 0-2 against Mason? He was the coach at KState when we beat them in the Old Spice Classic way back in the day. The pep band got sent to Disney for that game and one of our members had transferred from Kansas so he got us all to do the rock chalk chant in the games waning minutes. Really got under the KState fan's skin...unlike anything I've ever seen...
Apparently Martin's time at K-State overlapped with Kim playing at Missouri. They seemed very pleased to be speaking with each other both before and after the game. Not a side that Martin often exhibits, given his ferocious looks at his own players that he's demonstrated for a very long time.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Is Frank Martin now 0-2 against Mason? He was the coach at KState when we beat them in the Old Spice Classic way back in the day. The pep band got sent to Disney for that game and one of our members had transferred from Kansas so he got us all to do the rock chalk chant in the games waning minutes. Really got under the KState fan's skin...unlike anything I've ever seen...
Yes... he is 0-2 against us. We beat K State when he was coach and had Michael Beasley playing under him.

Enjoy the win now... if we have to play them in the tourney they will be a whole different team with Fernandes and Cross back.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Coop has diversified his game nicely this year at the same time his shot has abandoned him. Basketball can be a bitch.
Just like we seem to be unable to have Oduro and Ojiako playing well at the same time for some reason. Now that Josh has returned to form, Ginika is struggling to score around the rim … it’s maddening.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I don’t know if I’d go that far. He lead the team in assists (with 8) and steals last night.
Are we saying he can only do one or the other? Cmon! Atleast he is consistent at fouling 3pt shooters. He should get 22 min a game. Not 37.

Last edited:
Having sat right behind Frank Martin for ~32 minutes of last nights game, I can second everyone who was there and say that man is something else. Don't think I heard a positive word out of his mouth all night, and in the age of the portal I wonder if that ends up wearing thin on some guys and he won't be able to keep teams together. There's a lot of raw talent there though, if he can put it together this is gonna be a very good UMass team in a short period of time.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Enjoy the win now... if we have to play them in the tourney they will be a whole different team with Fernandes and Cross back.

Some got a little too excited over this win.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Some got a little too excited over this win.
Gus, nobody is looking to throw a parade in Fairfax after last night's win, but why be a fan if you are miserable when we do win?

You constantly give our opponents a pass when they are missing their best players, but you completely discount it when we've been down a primary starter for the last 8 games and two starters against vcu? Injuries are part of the game. You play the team that suits up against you, and you take the W if you play well enough to earn it. We did that last night. Nothing more, nothing less.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Gus, nobody is looking to throw a parade in Fairfax after last night's win, but why be a fan if you are miserable when we do win?

You constantly give our opponents a pass when they are missing their best players, but you completely discount it when we've been down a primary starter for the last 8 games and two starters against vcu? Injuries are part of the game. You play the team that suits up against you, and you take the W if you play well enough to earn it. We did that last night. Nothing more, nothing less.
Pretty sure Yogi Berra said some folks aren’t happy unless they’re miserable.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The thing I liked the most was the defensive performance from about the 8 minute mark on. That's how you win games. No trading baskets. We got stops and then scored on the other end.

No need to pile on but JF is really making me happy. Other things that made me happy were Malik riding his man into the 3rd row of the student section, then husting down for a dunk on O. And most folks probably missed it, but Blake friggin decked one of their bruisers away from the ball. It's the first time I've seen this team stop acting like sheep and start throwing elbows. Definitely the roughest game since Auburn. Getting beat because you are less talented is OK. Getting beat because you are less tough is disgraceful. I loved the win, but I really loved seeing our guys giving it out better than they got - especially at home.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023

Tom,
Been miserable and taking it since 2011. If you haven't, then you are lying to yourself.

Discount what wins exactly? We are 2-6 without Ticket. I did discount the UMass win a bit bc I didn't know till after those 3 were out. I couldn't watch so when I saw we won I thought it was vs their full squad. Aside from UMass, our other win was Rhody in your aforementioned 8 game span. I complained no more than you did on that game.

Look, I'm pissed, you are pissed we are all pissed that this team is underachieving this season. I'm stoked at JF's growth. But we have issues that if left unresolved this loser cycle will follow us thru 2031.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Most recruits commit to a coach in addition to a school.

As long as CKE is at the helm and Justyn is bought in to what he is trying to do for him (Which it sounds like and looks like he is), it should be fine. I have no crystal ball, but to @gmujim92 point, this is a situation where he had plenty of options and if he wanted a "bigger name" program, he could have had it. This isn't someone who "came out of nowhere".

I get and respect the fear as much as the next person, but we have to get our mindset of "we can keep guys like Justyn" and "keep guys like English". I know its hard in this day in age and I am always as fearful as the next guy.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Most recruits commit to a coach in addition to a school.

As long as CKE is at the helm and Justyn is bought in to what he is trying to do for him (Which it sounds like and looks like he is), it should be fine. I have no crystal ball, but to @gmujim92 point, this is a situation where he had plenty of options and if he wanted a "bigger name" program, he could have had it. This isn't someone who "came out of nowhere".

I get and respect the fear as much as the next person, but we have to get our mindset of "we can keep guys like Justyn" and "keep guys like English". I know its hard in this day in age and I am always as fearful as the next guy.
You have a good point. If KE can start winning and building, especially with his personality, salesmanship (not to mention his NBA pedigree) he may be able to keep guys around longer. And yes, that "committing to a coach" thing is real.
Onward and Upward!!
Go Mason! Go Patriots! Go new Mascot and Logo!!