Game 21: GMU (15-5 / 4-3) at St. Joe’s (13-7 / 3-4) on Wednesday , January 31, at 7:00 PM.

hoops10

Sixth Man
I think our defense played poorly. I believe Kelly and Hall were determined not to foul out. Consequently many times they backed off St Joe guards driving the lane and allowing easy baskets. It's a mixed bag for sure but coach has to make that correction, at least during half time. There were at least ten points allowed without any significant challenge.

FreeGunston12

All-American
There was about a 3 second difference between shot clock and game clock, so taking it down to zero wasn't an option. I was fine with the decision to go at around 9 seconds, but the transition defense was appalling. All five Patriots were well under the FT line because Amari followed Baraka into the paint and we had shooters in each corner. Missed opportunities to give a foul and set the defense, as someone mentioned. Just messy.
Ronnie was pretty much the only one that made a full effort to get back and defend after Baraka missed the layup and fell to the floor. Keyshawn gave a bit of a half-assed effort. Maddox and Kelly flat out loafed.

Everyone should take issue with that and not that we started the play with 9 seconds on the shot clock.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I don't have anything useful to say about the game that hasn't already been said, but, I do have a humorous item.

Just before the under 4 media timeout, St. Joes hit a 3 pointer and Lange called a timeout, killing any momentum they had just earned. My son turned to me and said, "He just called a Hewitt timeout".

That is the second best Mason parenting moment ever for me.

The only one better (which I have probably posted before) was when we were at a stop light and he says "There is a vcu graduate in the car next to us". I look over and I don't see any vcu logos on the car or anything else, and then I look at the driver and see he is wearing a McDonalds uniform.

I think I have done a pretty damn good job of raising him at this point.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Ronnie was pretty much the only one that made a full effort to get back and defend after Baraka missed the layup and fell to the floor. Keyshawn gave a bit of a half-assed effort. Maddox and Kelly flat out loafed.

Everyone should take issue with that and not that we started the play with 9 seconds on the shot clock.

I don’t have a problem necessarily with starting a little early because it gives the team a chance to reset if the shot isn’t there or a chance to get an offensive rebound a putback if a shot doesn’t fall.

Yes, this is the second 2 point loss where we let in a last second drive to end the first half by being lazy getting back on defense.

FreeGunston12

All-American
Love him as a person. But it’s time w

Gotta give some minutes to Tre Wood who can actually defend on the other end. Ronnie does nothing for this team if he can’t hit open jumpshots, better yet as a D1 SPG, not being able to handle ball pressure is mind boggling.
Hmm.... 4 lifetime posts, all criticizing Ronnie. Twice you tell us that you love Ronnie as a person, yet your two likes are of comments critical of the point guard play. Joined in August. Something smells a little funny here.

Defense was porous, 2 of our badly needed offensive players did nothing, free throws at critical points were awful, and our best shooter (Maddox) was nowhere near the final shot - no surprise we lose a close road game with all that. Here's my completely unqualified advice:

Start Ronnie and put in Okojie as soon as we are down by 5 or Ronnie misses three shots.
Spell Kelly every five minutes with Malik and tell Malik to hack the crap out of the other team's big.
Stop giving Billups so many minutes when he gives us great D and NO offense. Newton is doing the exact same thing but he gets almost no time.
Give Ball a chance to play D and take a few shots.
Tell Maddox to shoot in the first half.

And lastly, look forward to Haynes shoving that big St. Joes freshman around next year.

FreeGunston12

All-American
Hmm.... 4 lifetime posts, all criticizing Ronnie. Twice you tell us that you love Ronnie as a person, yet your two likes are of comments critical of the point guard play. Joined in August. Something smells a little funny here.
Bump . . . Guy deleted his account? Told you all something was fishy. Very curious now.

(Not trying to spread "wild conspiracies". For what it is worth, I was wondering to whom this "hoopsaddict" account belonged over a month ago. I called them out. Rather than defend themself, the account disappears. The mystery persists.)

Last edited: