Game 21: #18 Virginia Commonwealth University, Wednesday, February 4th, 7 PM, CBS SN

I like those odds!

If I were the captain of the dragon boat, I would have everyone hide in the hull, and when the unsuspecting carrier came near, I would have my fire archers take out the jets. Then we'd throw ropes on up there, we'd climb on up and rape everybody.

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I like those odds!

If I were the captain of the dragon boat, I would have everyone hide in the hull, and when the unsuspecting carrier came near, I would have my fire archers take out the jets. Then we'd throw ropes on up there, we'd climb on up and rape everybody.

We'd be better off catapulting horribly diseased and infected human bodies onto to their ships. We'd still get destroyed, but at least they'd be vomiting and shitting themselves profusely for the next month.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Losing Weber sucks. However, thinking this game will be closer than everyone thinks, ONLY if we learn to break the press and adapt to their traps. If we don't we will be blown out. Hewitt better have these kids in the gym right now learning to break presses and learning to inbound against it.

vcu can't really score the ball outside of Graham and Johnson. Their all around catalyst is out so they will have issues distributing the ball. Play zone and let them try and beat us inside. Thompson vs. Cox will be a great matchup. If we can lock down on Graham and Johnson and limit them then we have a shot at winning. The rest of their subs are young and can't shoot so get their starters in foul trouble and the tides will turn.

Goodguys 64
Spider bitten lambs with no super powers 62

Irish44j

Sixth Man
Breaking the press is all about having guards who can dribble and pass, and having other players who know where they're supposed to be for outlets.

I've seen no evidence this season that any of those things apply to GMU's current roster. Our lack of a true PG is going to be the dagger and vcu will likely get 15+ turnovers off the press by itself.

I just turned down free tix from three friends of mine for the game. All of them are vcu fans who probably wanted me to come so they could talk trash for the entire game and I'd have no comeback....

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Breaking the press is all about having guards who can dribble and pass, and having other players who know where they're supposed to be for outlets.

I've seen no evidence this season that any of those things apply to GMU's current roster. Our lack of a true PG is going to be the dagger and vcu will likely get 15+ turnovers off the press by itself.

I just turned down free tix from three friends of mine for the game. All of them are vcu fans who probably wanted me to come so they could talk trash for the entire game and I'd have no comeback....

Sounds like a good decision on your part.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Moore actually did a fine job breaking vcu's press last year, and that was with Weber guarding him.

Most of our turnovers are completely pointless and unforced, so I suspect we're going to have a harder time with things like throwing the ball over Thompson's head out of bounds, or dribbling the ball off of feet, or turning to look at the sideline and getting a pocket picked -- those kinds of things.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I hate vcu as much as the next Mason fan but I always look forward to the times vcu comes to "our yard", even though we dont' have home court advantage like we used to. Even if there is 4000 mason fans (and 1000 vcu fans), the games are usually pretty epic with a crowd into it.

I'm hoping that Mason practices breaking the press, and performs as well as they did against the vcu press last year. I think its important that they do not hesitate, pick up the dribble too soon, and keep going. I have faith that Moore, Jenkins and Marko will certainly help as at least the team is not lacking ball handlers.

That said, I don't expect Mason to win, but as has been the trend with most Mason games against top opponents under Hewitt, it'll be a rock fight, with Mason usually coming up short at the end.

vcu 68
Mason 62