Game 21: #18 Virginia Commonwealth University, Wednesday, February 4th, 7 PM, CBS SN

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
There is no reason to keep this f**king idiot one more second. How many times is he gonna be allowed slide for incompetence?

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
We needed to beat this vcu team tonight, with their 2 best players out, we just needed to go for the jugular and we just didn't. Thompson had anywhere from a 3-8 inch height advantage against anyone vcu threw at him yet he scores only on dunks and free throws. WTF. Shevon should of camped out under the basket and our guys just feed him all day. How does this not happen on at least on 50% of our possessions!??

Yea..... lets runs a 4-1 and let Jenkins sit at the top of the key all night long and try to pass it around to cutting guards. vcu defends too well for that to work.

Our 2nd half offense was straight awful. No motion, no set plays, just throw it up with 5 seconds to go on the shot clock and hope it goes in. We have no sense of urgency. Down 8 with 3 minutes to go and the players just pass back and forth on the perimeter while everyone stays put. Awful game planning and design.

Thompson needs to hit the weight room, work on his foot work, and grow a pair of balls and get meaner. Cox just ripped the ball away from him twice under the rim near the end of the game.

God bless Corey Edwards. The kid is our everything this year. He hustles and fights hard for himself and his teammates, has heart and passion, is our most consistent 3 point shooter, can steal the ball, can draw the charge, and his ball handling has become ten folds from last year. He is our Mr. Everything. Love that kid!

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
In other news, Brad Underwood is 50-6 in not even 2 seasons at Stephen F Austin.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
We needed to beat this vcu team tonight, with their 2 best players out, we just needed to go for the jugular and we just didn't. Thompson had anywhere from a 3-8 inch height advantage against anyone vcu threw at him yet he scores only on dunks and free throws. WTF. Shevon should of camped out under the basket and our guys just feed him all day. How does this not happen on at least on 50% of our possessions!??

Yea..... lets runs a 4-1 and let Jenkins sit at the top of the key all night long and try to pass it around to cutting guards. vcu defends too well for that to work.

Our 2nd half offense was straight awful. No motion, no set plays, just throw it up with 5 seconds to go on the shot clock and hope it goes in. We have no sense of urgency. Down 8 with 3 minutes to go and the players just pass back and forth on the perimeter while everyone stays put. Awful game planning and design.

Thompson needs to hit the weight room, work on his foot work, and grow a pair of balls and get meaner. Cox just ripped the ball away from him twice under the rim near the end of the game.

God bless Corey Edwards. The kid is our everything this year. He hustles and fights hard for himself and his teammates, has heart and passion, is our most consistent 3 point shooter, can steal the ball, can draw the charge, and his ball handling has become ten folds from last year. He is our Mr. Everything. Love that kid!

Kid has great character and a set of balls. The Cuban probably saw this 4 to 5 years ago.

sigmanorm

Starter
Down 5 at the 2:41 mark, we scored 1 point the rest of the game. 4 turnovers and 1 lousy point...really?

2:4165-59Shevon Thompson Defensive Rebound.
2:2965-59Patrick Holloway Turnover.
2:29Mo Alie-Cox Steal.65-59
2:24
Mo Alie-Cox made Dunk.67-59
2:0767-59Corey Edwards missed Three Point Jumper.
2:0767-59Shevon Thompson Offensive Rebound.
2:0267-59Shevon Thompson Turnover.
2:02Mo Alie-Cox Steal.67-59
1:32JeQuan Lewis missed Layup.67-59
1:3267-59Shevon Thompson Defensive Rebound.
1:2667-59Isaiah Jackson missed Three Point Jumper.
1:26Doug Brooks Defensive Rebound.67-59
1:1367-59Foul on Isaiah Jackson.
1:13
Melvin Johnson made Free Throw.68-59
1:13Melvin Johnson missed Free Throw.68-59
1:1368-59Shevon Thompson Defensive Rebound.
1:0768-59Isaiah Jackson Turnover.
1:07JeQuan Lewis Steal.68-59
1:01
Mo Alie-Cox made Dunk. Assisted by JeQuan Lewis.70-59
0:4870-59Isaiah Jackson missed Three Point Jumper.
0:48JeQuan Lewis Defensive Rebound.70-59
0:3670-59Foul on Patrick Holloway.
0:36
JeQuan Lewis made Free Throw.71-59
0:36
JeQuan Lewis made Free Throw.72-59
0:31Foul on JeQuan Lewis.72-59
0:3172-60
Patrick Holloway made Free Throw.
0:3172-60Patrick Holloway missed Free Throw.
0:3172-60Isaiah Jackson Offensive Rebound.
0:2772-60Isaiah Jackson Turnover.
0:27Melvin Johnson Steal.72-60
0:00
End of Game

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
It was a 5-point game with about 2 minutes to go, and yet again, as we've done so many f@cking times under Hewitt, we simply melted down the stretch.

Of course, that's what happens when you have nothing to fall back on but 1-on-1 isolation bullsh!t, pounding the ball into the deck and guys running around aimlessly like they have no clue what to do but feel like they should be moving somewhere.

Despite a significant size advantage, we went an entire game without throwing Shevon an entry pass on the block. I'd think that was incredible if it wasn't so sad.

Somehow, we managed to lose to a team that played without its best defender for the entire game and its best offensive player for more than a half.

We are poorly coached, psychologically fragile and not particularly good at any one basketball skill other than rebounding. Oh, and did I mention poorly coached?

Go f*ck yourself, Hewitt. Tonight was the last Mason game I'll attend until your sorry a** is gone.

KAOriginal

All-American
Yes, but what the hell happened at Sienna. How was he able to obtain success there? We can't say due to a weaker conference because he flopped in the CAA. I heard he had good assistants but he seems like the type to only have assistants on the payroll and not actually use them. Hence why we rarely ever see them do anything during the game.

He had 3-- 1,000 career point scorers starting. Legit scorers.

That's huge in a league like that....

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
The silence from fans when Hewitt's name was announced over the PA prior to last night's game was fairly deafening.

I didn't hear many boos, but I thought indifference to him was actually more effective.

OP
Washingtonian

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
Did anyone see the sign in the student section about the crime rate in Richmond? It was held up at the first media timeout, and I guess someone saw it and took it because I never saw it again.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
The silence from fans when Hewitt's name was announced over the PA prior to last night's game was fairly deafening.

I didn't hear many boos, but I thought indifference to him was actually more effective.

I heard plenty of boos in my section.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
In other news, Brad Underwood is 50-6 in not even 2 seasons at Stephen F Austin.
Unfortunately, Underwood will be at the top of every major school looking to hire. He and Larranaga are probably nothing more than wishful thinking at this point.

DeepValue

Starter
I can't complain much about last night. Isaiah Jackson and Jalen Jenkins both showed up to play. Corey was a great leader and contributor and Patrick reminded us how much we missed him. Shevon struggled a bit but, let's face it, teams realize now that they have to key on him.

Even Hewitt showed improvement. He didn't mope or face palm and he even got down and smacked the floor a few times.

I still want a new coach, and we did lose to a rival on our court playing without their two best players. But last night wasn't the worst I've seen.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I can't complain much about last night. Isaiah Jackson and Jalen Jenkins both showed up to play. Corey was a great leader and contributor and Patrick reminded us how much we missed him. Shevon struggled a bit but, let's face it, teams realize now that they have to key on him.

Even Hewitt showed improvement. He didn't mope or face palm and he even got down and smacked the floor a few times.

I still want a new coach, and we did lose to a rival on our court playing without their two best players. But last night wasn't the worst I've seen.

I'm gonna have to disagree on this one.

Without Graham and Weber, vcu is an average team. We lost to a bunch of freshmen and sophomores (and Melvin Johnson) playing without both of their senior leaders.

They were ripe for the picking. If we can't beat them at home, under just about the most optimal circumstances possible, that is f*cking sad.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Great atmosphere last night, I'm really glad that even in a down year Mason drew a lot of fans and everyone was into it.

I'm glad to see that the team did well against the press again. Corey did everything in his power to help his team win (much like Bryan Allen did last year), and did very well bringing the ball up the court without stopping his dribble.

That said, in half 2 Mason had no clue what to do on offense. They had no scheme when it mattered. Why not dump it in to Thompson, let them double and swing it around and then drive to the hoop? Something like that. Mason would get a stop, and then chuck up some awful shot.

Anyway, its another nail in the coffin for Hewitt. I don't think this can sit well with Brad Edwards..

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
That said, in half 2 Mason had no clue what to do on offense. They had no scheme when it mattered. Why not dump it in to Thompson, let them double and swing it around and then drive to the hoop?

Given a strong, athletic 6-11 center, the vast majority of coaches would require that the offense run through the low post every time down the court.

Space the floor, throw it into the post, force a double, kick it out and rotate the ball until you get an open shot or driving lane.

Or if they don't double, we have our 6-11 guy working 1-on-1 against his man within 5-8 feet of the basket. I'll take that every time.

It's really a pretty simple game when you have a weapon like that.

But again, we played 40 minutes against a significantly weakened opponent -- and their 6-6 center -- without throwing the ball to Thompson in the post even one f*cking time.

Our coach is a moron.