Game 19: GMU (13-5 / 2-3) vs St. Bonaventure (11-5 / 2-2) on Saturday, January 20, at 2:00 PM.

jruby

Walk-On
starting RP and keeping an eye on how he’s doing and adjusting the lineup as needed is exactly what Coach Skinn is already doing and I think is the best strategy for this year. We can have a conversation in the offseason about what happens next year…

And let’s keep in mind that 3 of our 4 slow starts in conference were on the road to hot shooting teams and yes we went 1-2 in those road games but that’s not exactly the end of the world scenario.
I think in the LaSalle game he did. I think in the Bonnies game he did. The richmond and GW games just got a little out of reach and shots were falling for them etc and maybe he felt the need to chase from behind and went to the shooter. I think vcu game got the best of Skinn and the team, think it was his worst coached game of the year. It happens to the best of them. Even Coach L rarely beat vcu. It's all about progress along the way. Saw some of that in the Bonnies game, they came back made adjustments and got the W.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
starting RP and keeping an eye on how he’s doing and adjusting the lineup as needed is exactly what Coach Skinn is already doing and I think is the best strategy for this year. We can have a conversation in the offseason about what happens next year…

And let’s keep in mind that 3 of our 4 slow starts in conference were on the road to hot shooting teams and yes we went 1-2 in those road games but that’s not exactly the end of the world scenario.
Yeah, maybe I'm wrong about starting Okojie. RP has sort of earned the role, and when he is on, he's excellent. Dribble drive, 3s, etc. But when he's not, turnovers, cold shooting, he's a real liability. Start him and see how it goes, but 2-3 turnovers in a row is a killer.
Delicate balance for Tony.

jruby

Walk-On
A10 Stats posted some data relevant to the lineup debate earlier today:

Performance of Mason Lineups
So the Offense is better with Polite, the defense is better with Okojie, so sums up the argument of what pretty much the general perception has been. If Okojie can start to score more the debate is over. Yes the 2nd best combo on offense has been using both granted Newton vs Okojie isn't that big of a difference. The defense however with both on court is the worst which also isn't surprising. Would like to see one or 2 more combos on there but none the less, the numbers confirm the perception is real.

So the Offense is better with Polite, the defense is better with Okojie, so sums up the argument of what pretty much the general perception has been. If Okojie can start to score more the debate is over. Yes the 2nd best combo on offense has been using both granted Newton vs Okojie isn't that big of a difference. The defense however with both on court is the worst which also isn't surprising. Would like to see one or 2 more combos on there but none the less, the numbers confirm the perception is real.
I would love to see what Polite, Kelly, Henry, Newton, Billiups looks like. Or what, Okojie, Kelly, Henry, Newton, Maddox looks like.

psyclone

Hall of Famer

I would love to see what Polite, Kelly, Henry, Newton, Billiups looks like. Or what, Okojie, Kelly, Henry, Newton, Maddox looks like.
Unless we are playing a team with 2 bigs, I can't see Kelly or Henry running out and guarding the perimeter.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Great stat display!.....how did you find this? Is there a site that does this for every team?
A10 Stats On Twitter Does it occasionally for all A10 Teams. I don't know where they get the data.