Game 19: GMU (11-7 / 3-2) vs GW (8-9 / 2-2) on Monday, January 16, at 4:00 PM.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
With many of our unforced turnovers, I see our players throw to a spot rather than a teammate like they are just going through the motions. That might work on timing passes in the NFL, but it definitely doesn't fly in college basketball.

We also tend to nonchalantly pass the ball, which we saw happen on a routine inbounds play under our own basket against Davidson. They had just scored, and Blake grabbed the ball and softly tossed it to Polite without realizing Foster Loyer was lurking. It was so close to an easy steal and basket, and you could see Jones and Polite exchange words while bringing the ball up the court.

hoops10

Sixth Man
I don't believe it's the coaching. I look back one or two games ago when CKE stated how he loves Henry's coachability, that he does everything the coaches ask him to do, is humble, and plays with immense energy. That was the first call out to the rest of the team—"Play like Malik!"

It appears to me at this point that the coaches have been telling the players to do certain things over and over and over again and it's just not sinking in. The same mistakes continue to occur over and over and over again.

It's not a unique problem in coaching. I recall a Coach L team which had similar problems and execution woes. I recall near the advent of the "Green" and "Gold" teams when the Green team started and played the first 4+ minutes of a game. Then, after a 10-point deficit was amassed, the starters came in. I believe Mason won that game.

One can only coach so much. The rest is on the players. I think that's where we're at right now.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
TEAM was face boxing out weeks ago. It looked taught. How is that not on coaches?

Maybe there is too much talk of numbers in practice? Kids just wanna play. Hearing percentages and analytics put em to sleep. Not saying this happens just wondering why we look like shit.

patriotchild

Starter
Idk. Something about this isn’t sitting right with me and it reeks of desperation and a culture problem for a number of reasons.

Have you seen how much jawing KE does with players during games? At one point he and Ronnie were yelling back and forth as Ronnie was trying to get back on a 2 on 1 break (they scored). Imo it’s not a good look and not effective to be arguing with your own players. If it’s that bad take them out and talk to them.

KE also said we should never call out players and that it’s on him. But it’s ok for him to call out players? I don’t think you can have it both ways. He tried this move in his opening press conference with Jordan and Koleck and we saw how that played out.

It’s also hard to miss that the players that are most consistent are “paulsens guys” not “his.”

The staff still doesn’t seem like they know what they’re doing. We haven’t had a set rotation all year regardless or injuries. The substitutions are seemingly haphazard. And the execution, “the process,” just isn’t there.

The coaches were also bickering a lot on the sidelines early in the season. Now it looks as though Felton got a sit down and be quiet message as he’s been way less active and vocal the last few games. And I’m not really sure what Nate does but he’s also been less involved. Simpkins seems to be the right hand as of late. Doesn’t seem like they’re on the same page.

I sure hope he knows this team and this move will motivate. or we will be looking at a giant mess as he loses the locker room.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
With many of our unforced turnovers, I see our players throw to a spot rather than a teammate like they are just going through the motions. That might work on timing passes in the NFL, but it definitely doesn't fly in college basketball.

We also tend to nonchalantly pass the ball, which we saw happen on a routine inbounds play under our own basket against Davidson. They had just scored, and Blake grabbed the ball and softly tossed it to Polite without realizing Foster Loyer was lurking. It was so close to an easy steal and basket, and you could see Jones and Polite exchange words while bringing the ball up the court.
This has been a peeve of mine for quite some time and it is frustrating to watch. When we start our half court offense we get very mechanical at times. So many of the steals I can see coming before it even leaves the passer’s hands.

Then there are the passes with no vigor.

Finally, there are the passes where we try to win the play on a high risk pass. Wide open fast break is one thing, but half court pass to someone who is fairly tightly covered is another.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
It’ll be interesting to see tonight’s coaches show. Will Kim double down on his commitments from Monday or is he going to back off and take more blame (or will it be ignored all together in favor of some softball questions)?

Junkees9

Sixth Man
Saturday's game seems to me to be particularly important because: (1) we just lost at home to a team we should have beaten; (2) the coach has called out the upper class transfers and how they don't "get it" so how will these players respond; and (3) we have struggled away from home and will now be playing against a team we should beat on the road. Given where we are in the season, this game could be huge.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
It’ll be interesting to see tonight’s coaches show. Will Kim double down on his commitments from Monday or is he going to back off and take more blame (or will it be ignored all together in favor of some softball questions)?
Bill will ask questions that CKE doesn't want to answer that has nothing to do with our bball team like he always does. No answers on Ticket's injury or the fact his upperclassmen seem to all be charmin soft all the time is my thought. Everyone of these has been awkward because of Bill and this has a chance to get especially awkward due to GW game

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Couple of thoughts, did no one else notice Ronnie played the second half on basically one leg? Looked like a groin pull or something, but he could barely move. Hope the extra days off this week heal him up. He was important enough to the offense we left him in, but you could see how badly he was hurting. Him missing time would be tough, as we saw in St. Thomas.

As to the call outs, they are probably deserved. I love Vic, but one simple play shows our lack of focus. GW pressed us in the 2nd half and Vic was wide open around half court. Rather than stay there and come to the ball to receive a pass, he drifts downcourt leading to a longer pass and an easy steal and fast break for Dean of all people. The coaches immediately reminded him where he is supposed to be against the press versus where he drifted to, but the damage was done. Maybe you understand those mistakes from a freshman, but not a graduate student.

Finally, I get being bitter some GW fans invaded the student section, but that arena got loud the last few minutes of the game. Maybe there's a rogue usher or two giving some of you grief, but was nice to see the whole arena on their feet and loud down the stretch.

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Couple of thoughts, did no one else notice Ronnie played the second half on basically one leg? Looked like a groin pull or something, but he could barely move. Hope the extra days off this week heal him up. He was important enough to the offense we left him in, but you could see how badly he was hurting. Him missing time would be tough, as we saw in St. Thomas.

As to the call outs, they are probably deserved. I love Vic, but one simple play shows our lack of focus. GW pressed us in the 2nd half and Vic was wide open around half court. Rather than stay there and come to the ball to receive a pass, he drifts downcourt leading to a longer pass and an easy steal and fast break for Dean of all people. The coaches immediately reminded him where he is supposed to be against the press versus where he drifted to, but the damage was done. Maybe you understand those mistakes from a freshman, but not a graduate student.

Finally, I get being bitter some GW fans invaded the student section, but that arena got loud the last few minutes of the game. Maybe there's a rogue usher or two giving some of you grief, but was nice to see the whole arena on their feet and loud down the stretch.
Woman next to me, behind team bench, stood up to cheer and politely apologized to Kim’s family behind us and they basically applauded and encouraged her to stand up - was great to see

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

That horrible football pass by Oduro cannot be blamed on Vic. Nobody with a smidge of bball IQ is making that pass (jumping in the air and throwing it like a QB) CKE noticeably yelled at Oduro rather than Vic like any other basketball fan should have.

Ronnie limps every game so not sure about that (could be from years of hip injuries or something) Seemed fine offensively but couldn't guard his shadow defensively so I guess that is the hip?

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Is there a show tonight?

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
That horrible football pass by Oduro cannot be blamed on Vic. Nobody with a smidge of bball IQ is making that pass (jumping in the air and throwing it like a QB) CKE noticeably yelled at Oduro rather than Vic like any other basketball fan should have.

Ronnie limps every game so not sure about that (could be from years of hip injuries or something) Seemed fine offensively but couldn't guard his shadow defensively so I guess that is the hip?
You're telling me the coaches didn't spend the next 30 seconds telling at Vic to be at halfcourt and not drift to where they had someone playing safety? Sure it was a dumb pass, but if Vic's where he's supposed to be on the press break it's not an issue.

I hope it was just a bruise or cramp (he was doing shots of pickle juice), but if you really couldn't see his inability to move laterally (insert your insult of his defense here) I'm not sure what to tell you.

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
You're telling me the coaches didn't spend the next 30 seconds telling at Vic to be at halfcourt and not drift to where they had someone playing safety? Sure it was a dumb pass, but if Vic's where he's supposed to be on the press break it's not an issue.

I hope it was just a bruise or cramp (he was doing shots of pickle juice), but if you really couldn't see his inability to move laterally (insert your insult of his defense here) I'm not sure what to tell you.
How dare you disagree with resident expert?! Your courtside seats probably aren't even at mid-court.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Not sure what the coaches do as CKE said they didn't teach the kids to box out backwards which the kids did for the first 7 games. Oduro had a wide open guy center court and decided to launch one directly at Dean. Not sure Vic at center court is even catching that as Dean was well closer than center court when he intercepted it

his second half was better than his first half after injury is all I am telling you... he was more aggressive to the rim in the second half after injury? doesn't make sense