Game 19: GMU (11-7 / 3-2) vs GW (8-9 / 2-2) on Monday, January 16, at 4:00 PM.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
This one hurts. I don't get how we had so many breakdowns on both sides of the ball.

We have guys who have played a lot of college basketball on this team. Guys like Cooper, Bailey, Singleton, Oduro have all been around a LONG time. Today they played a rebuilding program that had 7 active guys, and somehow looked a step slow, didn't take care of the ball, and had a lot of poor defensive breakdowns.

I just dont' get it. How many times did they jump the pass when we'd reverse the ball? How many times did they intercept a long pass? They had an excellent scheme for Oduro and he had a lot of trouble with it until he broke out a little bit in the second half. I do think Mason was better with free throws today. : sarcastic clap :

Mason had no business having the game be so close. Bailey and Polite had good looks at the end fo the game that didn't go down. When Cooper had the final shot off the rebound, there was no need to rush and he just chucked an awkward shot. I originally thought he was falling down.

Super disappointing that Mason got worked today. You gotta hand it to GW, Caputo had them ready to play.

Now that Mason is 10-1 at home, they have to find a way to win on the road at least 2 games if they want to sniff top 4. They haven't won a road game all year and they certainly didn't play like a top 4 team today.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Mandatory watch if you even casually watch this team. I don’t know how you watch that and think Kim won’t win here long term. He gets it. The future is still VERY bright.
Spot on! He didn’t pull any punches when referencing his frustration with some of the older players on this team. That’s the most blunt I can ever recall him being.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Very glad that Kim pulled no punches tonight and is as pissed as we are. He sees what we see out of our transfers.

Very happy to see this out of him and hopefully improvement is at some point of our lives.

I don't think practice is going to be very fun for our guys this week.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Very glad that Kim pulled no punches tonight and is as pissed as we are. He sees what we see out of our transfers.

Very happy to see this out of him and hopefully improvement is at some point of our lives.

Long break between now and Rhodey on Saturday, lots of time to learn painful lessons and see how really wants to see floor time.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
View: https://twitter.com/masonmbb/status/1615150481915138048?s=46&t=Xmm6AAS-xrZPNQ592m-fkA

Mandatory watch if you even casually watch this team. I don’t know how you watch that and think Kim won’t win here long term. He gets it. The future is still VERY bright.
Wow! Most pumped I've been since KE got here. He is ticked. Tap-thumped that table over and over.
Seems like the theme is "get it, or get out!"

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Wow! Most pumped I've been since KE got here. He is ticked. Tap-thumped that table over and over.
Seems like the theme is "get it, or get out!"
Is this why VBJ recently lost his starting position to Justyn Fernandez?

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

I don't think practice is going to be very fun for our guys this week
Said the team was lucky to have beaten Davidson, which they were.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I am glad those of you that have been down on CKE are seeing it in that interview. I have been hearing the same message from him since day one and in many of post game interviews. He is, obviously, more animated in this one since it was a pretty bad loss at home and we don't get to see as much after road losses. As others have stated, I am confident he will get there. Hopefully significant improvements can still be made this year, but, I expect each year to look better and better.

Last edited:

BBride

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

He answered everything asked but deep down you knew he was pissed.
I had hoped to come out to practice one day this week to take photos but I'll pass on this and go later in the month.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
He answered everything asked but deep down you knew he was pissed.
I had hoped to come out to practice one day this week to take photos but I'll pass on this and go later in the month.
Oh you should go this week...And take notes! Lol.

BBride

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
More megaphones and foam fingers!

Fmo7RcuXwAAPXyf

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Wow, the last 2 minutes of that was fire…He was pissed. I wonder who starts on Saturday. I’d expect to see a lot more of JF.

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
This one hurts. I don't get how we had so many breakdowns on both sides of the ball.

We have guys who have played a lot of college basketball on this team. Guys like Cooper, Bailey, Singleton, Oduro have all been around a LONG time. Today they played a rebuilding program that had 7 active guys, and somehow looked a step slow, didn't take care of the ball, and had a lot of poor defensive breakdowns.

I just dont' get it. How many times did they jump the pass when we'd reverse the ball? How many times did they intercept a long pass? They had an excellent scheme for Oduro and he had a lot of trouble with it until he broke out a little bit in the second half. I do think Mason was better with free throws today. : sarcastic clap :

Mason had no business having the game be so close. Bailey and Polite had good looks at the end fo the game that didn't go down. When Cooper had the final shot off the rebound, there was no need to rush and he just chucked an awkward shot. I originally thought he was falling down.

Super disappointing that Mason got worked today. You gotta hand it to GW, Caputo had them ready to play.

Now that Mason is 10-1 at home, they have to find a way to win on the road at least 2 games if they want to sniff top 4. They haven't won a road game all year and they certainly didn't play like a top 4 team today.
I saw an interview KE gave where he was asked what is the biggest difference between the pros and college. Without hesitation he replied, "the passing." This team has weaknesses but at the top of the list (along with free throws) is just that. We are not very good at passing into the post, or out of it. For every assist, there's a TO. We are just too careless with the ball to be a good team. And I'm not sure this is fixable, because you have to be able to make good passes into the paint, and to shooters/cutters when the double comes. This is a major, major problem for us right now.

Another shortcoming we've discussed: other than Polite none of our players can put the ball on the floor and get to the basket, and finish, with any consistency. We're limited in this respect.

But wait...there's more!

VB is our best outside shooter - by far. Yet he's taken less than 10 shots the last 2 games combined. Look at his numbers the past 10 games. The man is on fire! IMO this is on KE and the staff. VB must get at least 10-15 shots per game. Period. You can make it happen if you screen for him.

I'm disappointed but will continue to pull for the guys. If Oduro makes half the bunnies he missed, or if we valued the ball just a tiny bit more, we probably win this game.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
"Old guys ain't got it"

How offended is Gmu79?? I kid...

".....especially, the older transfers"

Anybody wanna guess who he is talking about??

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
More megaphones and foam fingers!

Fmo7RcuXwAAPXyf
I am glad you caught those dudes in the background, they win my vote for fans of the game. They were going strong ALL game long, just having an absolute great time. If any of you old timers know them — let them know they have an open invitation to come back to another game on me, feel free to reach out via DM and we’ll set it up.