Game 18: GMU (9-8 / 5-6) vs Duquesne (7-6 / 6-5) Postponed

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
He is very literal, but I’m also wondering why the A10 waited until less than 24 hours before the game to cancel it if this is true? And why if they aren’t cleared to practice yet are they thinking a Saturday trip to Richmond is going to happen either?

(Purely speculating) While it may not be Covid 19 related, perhaps they need some tests or other data to come back to clear playing. Also, because travel logistics may need to be sorted out, that might have pushed things. I guess the Saturday game gives them a bit more breathing room to figure things out.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Duquesne Could NOT play us tomorrow regardless if this schedule change. I’m learning Spanish if you’d like me to translate it that way. I’m one of many who appreciate your post but dammit you are the most literal human being on earth

3 Bid League

@3BidLeaguePod

·
2h

As part of this, the 10 teams that aren’t SLU, Bonaventure, vcu and Richmond are at risk to get thrown under the bus at any moment. But when aren’t on the bubble and aren’t a title contender (only Davidson is) then a game is a game no matter who you play

Show this thread

3 Bid League

@3BidLeaguePod

·
2h

I was hopeful that the A-10 would prioritize bubble games when filling open spots but I never thought they would be willing to cancel existing games to improve the schedule. This is what smart, aggressive conferences do

https://twitter.com/3BidLeaguePod/status/1361773315296288770

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

3 Bid League

@3BidLeaguePod

·
2h

As part of this, the 10 teams that aren’t SLU, Bonaventure, vcu and Richmond are at risk to get thrown under the bus at any moment. But when aren’t on the bubble and aren’t a title contender (only Davidson is) then a game is a game no matter who you play

Show this thread

3 Bid League

@3BidLeaguePod

·
2h

I was hopeful that the A-10 would prioritize bubble games when filling open spots but I never thought they would be willing to cancel existing games to improve the schedule. This is what smart, aggressive conferences do

This is the same conference that allowed U of R to shirk a conference game and instead play a D3 scrimmage in the middle of conference play. Let's not give them more credit than they deserve for "trying to improve the schedule". Ask the Bonnies, do they feel like they are doing better getting an extra Q3 road game?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
This is the same conference that allowed U of R to shirk a conference game and instead play a D3 scrimmage in the middle of conference play. Let's not give them more credit than they deserve for "trying to improve the schedule". Ask the Bonnies, do they feel like they are doing better getting an extra Q3 road game?

They gave Dayton a crappy home game too by scheduling us a second time when we weren’t even supposed to play Dayton twice this season.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
He is very literal, but I’m also wondering why the A10 waited until less than 24 hours before the game to cancel it if this is true? And why if they aren’t cleared to practice yet are they thinking a Saturday trip to Richmond is going to happen either?
playing with 4 days of practice vs 1 day of practice is different to me. I get what you are saying though.... per Duquesne website @Pablo "Duquesne has remained idle since February 2nd" - posted on 2/16

Pablo

Hall of Famer

SBUnfurled

@SBUnfurled

·
2h

FWIW had we played at Davidson it would have been our 8th A10 road game out of 13 (and 4 of the last 5 away from the RC), so the conference might be trying to even out the home/away numbers a bit.

Quote Tweet

HbLWnCYk_normal.jpg

The Belk Report

@BelkReport
· 2h

Replying to @SBUnfurled and @belk
Having it at Bona is just dumb and makes the stench reek that much more.

SBUnfurled

@SBUnfurled

·
7h

It makes sense to flip opponents and have Bona-Davidson and GW-SJU.
McGlade has said they will prioritize games featuring top teams if need be.

Quote Tweet

HbLWnCYk_normal.jpg

The Belk Report

@BelkReport
· 7h

Lots of Davidson fans were hinting at our first game back not being St. Joe’s it was so confusing to me.... but now (per usual) they seem prescient. twitter.com/sbunfurled/sta…

Pablo

Hall of Famer
playing with 4 days of practice vs 1 day of practice is different to me. I get what you are saying though.... per Duquesne website @Pablo "Duquesne has remained idle since February 2nd" - posted on 2/16

Of course, being idle with respect to games is not necessarily the same as not practicing.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Of course, being idle with respect to games is not necessarily the same as not practicing.
You know those announcements about teams returning to practice post covid. Well Duquesne has had three of them. But not after this latest pause

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Haaaa....We are lucky A10 hasn't shut our shit show down for the year.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
You know those announcements about teams returning to practice post covid. Well Duquesne has had three of them. But not after this latest pause

https://duquesnefans.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=4170:

quote.png
indygjm wrote:

I thought the release said the postponement was not Covid related. Then why? The folks on the GM board aren't happy either ... there's speculation the A10 is playing games with the schedule to help improve the resume of member teams on the bubble.

Of course they are. And they should. Yes, we get screwed but there is no income coming in. The conference needs TV two tournament shares. It will always be the Covid year tournament anyway.

It may not be done with the blessing of the coaches but I bet the ADs who will have massive budget deficits to deal with for years to come are on board. I rather see the A10 get two bids and assistant coaches not lose jobs than DU play George Mason.

Last edited by A83 (Yesterday 7:50 pm)

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
https://duquesnefans.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=4170:

quote.png
indygjm wrote:

I thought the release said the postponement was not Covid related. Then why? The folks on the GM board aren't happy either ... there's speculation the A10 is playing games with the schedule to help improve the resume of member teams on the bubble.

Of course they are. And they should. Yes, we get screwed but there is no income coming in. The conference needs TV two tournament shares. It will always be the Covid year tournament anyway.

It may not be done with the blessing of the coaches but I bet the ADs who will have massive budget deficits to deal with for years to come are on board. I rather see the A10 get two bids and assistant coaches not lose jobs than DU play George Mason.

Last edited by A83 (Yesterday 7:50 pm)
No idea what point you think this proves that the cancelled game today would have gone on.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
No idea what point you think this proves that the cancelled game today would have gone on.

The point is that the game could have been played; i.e., Duquesne willingly accepted it and had sufficient time to prepare for it (irrespective of the fact that it did not publicly announce when the pause ended). If you can't accept this, then we will just agree to disagree.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The point is that the game could have been played; i.e., Duquesne willingly accepted it and had sufficient time to prepare for it (irrespective of the fact that it did not publicly announce when the pause ended). If you can't accept this, then we will just agree to disagree.
LOL a Q3/Q4 win for St Bonaventure is surely what they need to get an at large bid. What are you talking about? This big conspiracy theory that has a a team travelling on short notice to Fairfax VA will ultimately help the A10 get 2 teams into the tournament? If Duquesne doesn't play Saturday will you blame it on the weather or the fact that they haven't been cleared to play yet? St Joe's and GW games still on for this weekend too... what is the conspiracy if they don't play either?