Game 18: GMU (9-8 / 5-6) vs Duquesne (7-6 / 6-5) Postponed

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Duquesne is currently 7 - 6 on the season and 6 - 5 in A10 play.

History: Including tournament play DP is 1 - 4 against the Dukes.

Wins: UNC Greensboro, GW, Fordham (x2), Rhode Island, St. Joe’s, Dayton
Losses: Little Rock, GW, Davidson, Dayton, St. Bonaventure (x2),

Schedule: https://goduquesne.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule
Roster: https://goduquesne.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster
Stats: https://goduquesne.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2020/pdf

Duquesne is led by Marcus Weathers (15.0 ppg & 7.1 reb), Michael Hughes (10.5 ppg & 8.1 reb), and Tavian Dunn-Martin (10.4 ppg & 3.4 assists). They suffered a big hit when Maceo Austin, Sincere Carry, and Lamar Norman left the team and decided to transfer earlier this season. Chad Baker (8.6 ppg) and Mike Bekelja (1.4 ppg) started the last game against Dayton, a five point win for Duquesne. In total 10 guys have started for Duquesne at some point this year.

Duquesne averages 65.8 points per game while giving up 64.0. The Dukes shoot 41.7% from the floor and 29.3% from 3. Opponents are shooting 39.9% from the field and 26.8% from 3. They shoot 64.5% from the free throw line. The Dukes are currently out rebounding by their opponents by .8 boards per game. They average 12.8 turnovers per game.

The game is on ESPN+.

My prediction: Their conference schedule has been on the easy side with having played Fordham twice, GW twice, and St. Joe’s. Wins against Rhode Island and Dayton are solid enough but not mind blowing. This one is a crap shoot. The coin toss says Duquesne wins by 5.

Discuss.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
This is a big barometer for just how mediocre our team will be (just above/at .500 or just below). These games have been super tight the last 4 seasons. We are 1-3 in those games. Probably another close one here. Duquesne finds a way to win, probably with some late Marcus Weathers and/or Michael Hughes heroics...pulls out a 3 point win.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
This is one of those games where if Dave really would like to keep his job, he finds a way for mason to win by 10 and play good ball.

since I’m realistic and Dambrot will run circles around Dave like most A10 coaches, Mason won’t win. It could be close, but I still expect a loss.

duquense 72
Mason 66

This is one of those games where if Dave really would like to keep his job, he finds a way for mason to win by 10 and play good ball.

Who cares about winning by 10 but this is a game DP definitely needs to win...AND, they haven't played in 15 days.

We should win this game.

I am hungover from make your own HC yesterday but I suppose I can resume drinking by Wednesday or late this morning

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Who cares about winning by 10 but this is a game DP definitely needs to win...AND, they haven't played in 15 days.

We should win this game.

I am hungover from make your own HC yesterday but I suppose I can resume drinking by Wednesday or late this morning

I would agree this is one of those games that DP needs to win to have a prayer for keeping his job.

Aw weak, I just realized I have a personal connection with Jake Nichols' uncle but that thread is CLOSED now...thanks a lot

Feel free to share it here.

Feel free to share it here.

WELL when I was a little boy before Jake Nichols was alive my dad and Jake Nichols grandpappy drove me and his uncle to a Redskins game at RFK.

That day they were playing the Detroit Lions who they always beat and indeed, they beat again.

Anyway I was ahead of his uncle in school, but we went to the same HS and like, I kinda knew him through basketball and stuff.

SO what I'm trying to say if anyone needs or wants a Jake Nichols autograph or something I can probably make it happen through my family connections.

IMPRESSED? I thought you might be.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
WELL when I was a little boy before Jake Nichols was alive my dad and Jake Nichols grandpappy drove me and his uncle to a Redskins game at RFK.

That day they were playing the Detroit Lions who they always beat and indeed, they beat again.

Anyway I was ahead of his uncle in school, but we went to the same HS and like, I kinda knew him through basketball and stuff.

SO what I'm trying to say if anyone needs or wants a Jake Nichols autograph or something I can probably make it happen through my family connections.

IMPRESSED? I thought you might be.
Until something major changes with our program, one of the main reasons I still come to this site is just to see Jollay's posts.

I want a two-fer: both Jake Nichols and Jollay's autograph.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
This feels like a disrespectful move by the A10 when you combine this with allowing Richmond to get a tune-up game coming out of quarantine instead of making up one of the A10 games they missed.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
This feels like a disrespectful move by the A10 when you combine this with allowing Richmond to get a tune-up game coming out of quarantine instead of making up one of the A10 games they missed.
how? Duquesne isn't cleared to practice due to Feb 5th COVID Pause... some schools take it seriously like us and St Louis others don't like Richmond, vcu and GW the first time

Also I mean we are the absolute doormat of the A-10 second to Fordham who at least has seniority. Hell Lasalle is an NBA championship from back when SwimMom was in her 30's and they don't even talk about it like our school does our Final 4 year... play and spend like a doormat and you get 2pm Thursday games after they manipulate your home schedule so you don't play there

Pablo

Hall of Famer
how? Duquesne isn't cleared to practice due to Feb 5th COVID Pause... some schools take it seriously like us and St Louis others don't like Richmond, vcu and GW the first time

Also I mean we are the absolute doormat of the A-10 second to Fordham who at least has seniority. Hell Lasalle is an NBA championship from back when SwimMom was in her 30's and they don't even talk about it like our school does our Final 4 year... play and spend like a doormat and you get 2pm Thursday games after they manipulate your home schedule so you don't play there

https://goduquesne.com/news/2021/2/16/mens-basketball-at-george-mason-postponed.aspx:

"PITTSBURGH - The Atlantic 10 announced today that Wednesday's Duquesne at George Mason men's basketball game has been postponed and that the Dukes will now travel to Virginia to face Richmond on Saturday, Feb. 20.

The Richmond game, set for a 4:30 p.m. tip, will be televised nationally by NBCSN.

George Mason will now host St. Bonaventure on Thursday, Feb. 18 at EagleBank Arena. The schedule adjustments announced today were not COVID-19 related."

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
https://goduquesne.com/news/2021/2/16/mens-basketball-at-george-mason-postponed.aspx:

"PITTSBURGH - The Atlantic 10 announced today that Wednesday's Duquesne at George Mason men's basketball game has been postponed and that the Dukes will now travel to Virginia to face Richmond on Saturday, Feb. 20.

The Richmond game, set for a 4:30 p.m. tip, will be televised nationally by NBCSN.

George Mason will now host St. Bonaventure on Thursday, Feb. 18 at EagleBank Arena. The schedule adjustments announced today were not COVID-19 related."
Lol Duquesne is not practicing for a game that was supposed to be tomorrow. I don’t understand the disconnect on this lol. This is not rocket science and literal Pablo needs to learn how to see thru the lines. Is umass playing March 1st after no practice they February? Is it that literal?

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Lol Duquesne is not practicing for a game that was supposed to be tomorrow. I don’t understand the disconnect on this lol. This is not rocket science and literal Pablo needs to learn how to see thru the lines. Is umass playing March 1st after no practice they February? Is it that literal?

It seems to me that the A10 is just adjusting the schedule to assist more teams that could receive an NCAA at-large bid. Am I missing something?

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
It seems to me that the A10 is just adjusting the schedule to assist more teams that could receive an NCAA at-large bid. Am I missing something?
Duquesne Could NOT play us tomorrow regardless if this schedule change. I’m learning Spanish if you’d like me to translate it that way. I’m one of many who appreciate your post but dammit you are the most literal human being on earth

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Duquesne Could NOT play us tomorrow regardless if this schedule change. I’m learning Spanish if you’d like me to translate it that way. I’m one of many who appreciate your post but dammit you are the most literal human being on earth

He is very literal, but I’m also wondering why the A10 waited until less than 24 hours before the game to cancel it if this is true? And why if they aren’t cleared to practice yet are they thinking a Saturday trip to Richmond is going to happen either?