Game 18: GMU (10-7 / 3-1) at UMass (9-10 / 2-5) on Sunday, January 30, at 2 PM.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Having your big help break a press isn’t a weakness. We used to use Will Thomas. ODU would use Gerald Lee. Maybe the weakness is in not embracing that and just making it part of the plan?
yes having a big to break a press isn't a weakness, but not being able to inbound the ball, and not getting open to get the ball from the big man and forcing him to throw long lolipop passes that often get tipped and intercepted is NOT the plan. Coop and XJ need to do a better job

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
While breaking the press is an issue, I maybe put a little less stock in it than others from yesterday’s game because we were up big during garbage time.

Things that I liked from yesterday include our point guards continuing to protect the ball and play efficient. Love that we were able to jump out to a big lead with Oduro having an off day. Also like Otis taking advantage of his minutes and working his way into the rotation, especially with a heavy workload ahead next week.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
While breaking the press is an issue, I maybe put a little less stock in it than others from yesterday’s game because we were up big during garbage time.

Things that I liked from yesterday include our point guards continuing to protect the ball and play efficient. Love that we were able to jump out to a big lead with Oduro having an off day. Also like Otis taking advantage of his minutes and working his way into the rotation, especially with a heavy workload ahead next week.

Agreed. Our point guards had a great game, only 1 turnover and that turnover by XJ was in garbage time.

If XJ and Polite can stay consistent and have more games like yesterday, the team has a chance to really win some games. I'd have to look but I could bet that in games where our PG play has few turnovers, the team has won more often than not.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Co-sign on English. And to watch him grow as a coach so quickly. For instance, early in the season he was struggling to make in-game adjustments and now he’s frustrating guys like Schmidt with how he’s able to adjust to what the opposing coaches are doing.

And yeah, the offense looks night and day from what it did last year.

By George.

Starter
yes having a big to break a press isn't a weakness, but not being able to inbound the ball, and not getting open to get the ball from the big man and forcing him to throw long lolipop passes that often get tipped and intercepted is NOT the plan. Coop and XJ need to do a better job
I feel like this is solvable. I’ll dive deeper into this issue this week

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I feel like this is solvable. I’ll dive deeper into this issue this week
To be clear, I don't think anybody thinks using Josh's height to help with breaking the press is an issue at all. That's smart basketball. Our problems oftentimes begin with Josh having to hold the ball in the air and pivoting in a circle trying to find a ballhandler to take it from there. He has many skills, but dribbling the ball up the court through a bunch of guards is not one of them.

English and his staff are very smart and self-aware, so I'm sure this is an issue that is very high on their list to correct.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
We need to stopping destroying UMass. We’re gonna accidentally get McCall fired.
I was thinking something similar. During the game I was ready fire off a heckle about this being likely his last season if the right moment presented itself. It didn’t. Turns out he seems like a pretty likable coach. Too bad his results aren’t where they need to be.