Game 18: Davidson College, Saturday, Jan 24th, 7 PM, NO TV

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Even though last years team played poorly, I went into games with the belief they were capable of surprising teams w/ better records. (at UMass last year) I have no sense of that w/ this team. Don't think we're capable of beating anybody else on our schedule outside of St. Louis, St. Joe's, Fordham or Duquesne - and we ain't blowing any of them out if we do win.

Of course Davidson wins. Thanks for recreating the pre-Larranaga years Merten & TOC!

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
Davidson enrollment. 1788
George Mason enrollment 33723

Davidson record. 12 wins 4 losses
George Mason record 6 wins 11 losses

We deserve better Mr Edwards

To be fair, DAV has a higher basketball pedigree, historically, than G Mas.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
To be fair, DAV has a higher basketball pedigree, historically, than G Mas.

First of all, Davidson has never been to the final four, and their success post-Curry, is less than our success post-2006 (the fact that they went to the Elite 8 in 1968 and 1969 really doesn't matter one iota), so no they don't.

Secondly, most basketball teams who have been around longer than us have a better historical pedigree than we do.

phoenix-arizona

All-American
Private school, older school--maybe they have more monied alumni. Maybe they have fewer programs overall so can spend more on basketball (which is the deal at vcu right)?

Just playing devil's advocate here. I don't really know. Davidson, as a fan of Charleston, has always been a thorn in my side.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Private school, older school--maybe they have more monied alumni. Maybe they have fewer programs overall so can spend more on basketball (which is the deal at vcu right)?

Just playing devil's advocate here. I don't really know. Davidson, as a fan of Charleston, has always been a thorn in my side.

Davidson spends less on basketball than we do actually (well at least they did before joining the A-10, not sure what they're spending this year).

And look, if vcu and ODU didn't become as strong as they did at the same time we got strong, we probably would have become the Gonzaga of the East we were looking for. Just look at the semifinal and final losses post-2006 in the CAA, they are pretty much all vcu: 2007 (vcu finals), 2009 (vcu finals) 2010 (vcu quarterfinals), 2011 (vcu semifinals)...

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Davison on pace to score 100 points against #22 Dayton. Leading 61-45 with 11 minutes remaining in the game.

Yeah, we're dead.

That was an impressive beatdown. If a disciplined team like Dayton was futilely chasing their shooters around like that, we're in serious trouble. Maybe we can petition the NCAA to allow us to play six players against their five. And even that would make us a long shot.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
That was an impressive beatdown. If a disciplined team like Dayton was futilely chasing their shooters around like that, we're in serious trouble. Maybe we can petition the NCAA to allow us to play six players against their five. And even that would make us a long shot.

And, the Wildcats played without Jack Gibbs.

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

And looking at Davidson's players individually, they are not very impressive at all. But collectively, they are a bad a** team. That coach with our players and even a decent PG would be a force to reckoned with.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Davidson is nothing flashy and doesn't have 1 or 2 stud players. All 5 of their starters are SOUND, ALL-AROUND bball players. They can shoot, they can play defense, they make their free throws, they rebound the ball, they protect the ball, they make an incredible amount of 3's, and they believe in their Coach and the rest of their team. When we had the old cuban our teams were like this for the most part.... and guess what..... we won. We won a lot.

Any team that does that is a dangerous team..... no matter the color of their skin or how many students and rich alumni they have at/from the school.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Davidson is nothing flashy and doesn't have 1 or 2 stud players. All 5 of their starters are SOUND, ALL-AROUND bball players. They can shoot, they can play defense, they make their free throws, they rebound the ball, they protect the ball, they make an incredible amount of 3's, and they believe in their Coach and the rest of their team. When we had the old cuban our teams were like this for the most part.... and guess what..... we won. We won a lot.

Any team that does that is a dangerous team..... no matter the color of their skin or how many students and rich alumni they have at/from the school.
Hmm. Sound, fundamental basketball players. Sounds like what I've been asking for for a few years now. Don't want any more "athletes" who can jump. Not impressed by dunks and highlights. Give me kids who play as one, share the ball, and sacrifice for the team.

OP
Washingtonian

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
Hmm. Sound, fundamental basketball players. Sounds like what I've been asking for for a few years now. Don't want any more "athletes" who can jump. Not impressed by dunks and highlights. Give me kids who play as one, share the ball, and sacrifice for the team.

That is what the final four team was.