Game 18: Davidson College, Saturday, Jan 24th, 7 PM, NO TV

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I do feel bad for Jenkins - to think he was the guy who hit the 75 footer.

Got the chance to shoot a few free throws in a gym today. Such an easy shot, it's tough for me to understand the struggles some college players have though.

This coming from a guy whose career basketball highlight was making the JV CYO All Star game.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I do feel bad for Jenkins - to think he was the guy who hit the 75 footer.

Got the chance to shoot a few free throws in a gym today. Such an easy shot, it's tough for me to understand the struggles some college players have though

There's no excuse for Jalen not to have made one of the two FTs, but in the kid's defense there's nothing you can do to simulate that moment in practice. I'd say it's probably 40% physical and 60% mental. You could tell when he air-balled the second one that he was overwhelmed by the moment. To his credit, he did knock down his two attempts in OT, and you could see by his gesture after hitting them that it was still eating at him that he didn't hit them in regulation.

On a lighter note, XTSG had a great line when I saw hime exiting the Patriot Center. He said, "Jalen shot from the wrong FT line." Much less pressure when heaving the ball from 75 feet.

Jalen also carried the two misses into the overtime period. He let his emotions get to him and Hewitt yanked him. Which led to an awful drive by Royal, followed by an awful 3 by Royal followed by Mason never even threatening in overtime.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
This coming from a guy whose career basketball highlight was making the JV CYO All Star game.

Did you play that game at St Pats or Seton HS? My brother played for OLS and the championship game his senior year was supposed to be held at St Pat's but then was moved to Seton because the expected crowd was too large for St Pat's.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Did you play that game at St Pats or Seton HS? My brother played for OLS and the championship game his senior year was supposed to be held at St Pat's but then was moved to Seton because the expected crowd was too large for St Pat's.

Seton HS. Is OLS in Endicott? I played for the mighty St. Catherine's Vikings in Hillcrest - all the teams we played were in Binghamton. We had a horrid JV team but our group was better when we played Varsity because we got some school ball defectors. Did you say you played for Vestal?

I apologize to the rest of the posters, but this is important stuff here. CYO basketball, baby. Not that it was a good brand of basketball - but I guess it has deteriorated even more in Broome County. The Press & Sun no longer covers even the championship game, and I doubt Seton is needed for it.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yes, I played for Vestal. My sr year (1992) we were the first Vestal team to sweep the season series with Binghamton since Binghamton North HS and Binghamton Central HS merged in the early 80s. Granted, Binghamton was down that year, but we weren't any good either, seeing that I started at the 2 guard. We beat UE in the Section IV quarter finals to end Charlie Tarricone's coaching career there. Other than those two events, we had an uneventful season.

OLS is in Vestal. They used to play their games in the school cafeteria. It was brutal. Last year the church and school went through a major renovation. Now, I think they have a gym so they don't play on a cafeteria floor.

No need to apologize to other posters. I'm sure this is a nice break from the doom and gloom in Fairfax.........

polepino

Starter
Gamer from the Charlotte Observer:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2015/01/24/5469785/wildcats-rally-to-ot-road-win.html#.VMaany73j9o

Every fan in green and gold, Brian. Every last one. :bagoverhead:

“The kid (Sullvan) made a heck of a shot – Isaiah (Jackson) was all over him,” Patriots coach Paul Hewitt said. “But that’s been the story of this team the past couple years. It comes down to making sure we prepare even better.”

I've heard him say a variation of this type of thing after losses the past few years. I remember after several games last year, I would hear him say verbatim "We gotta get better." My only question is/was why aren't we getting better? Is there a plan to get 'better' or is it just a thing to say? What are the things that are needed to get 'better'? If you are saying you need to get 'better' and it's not happening shouldn't you maybe begin to wonder if it is your approach to the situation that needs to change?

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yes, I played for Vestal. My sr year (1992) we were the first Vestal team to sweep the season series with Binghamton since Binghamton North HS and Binghamton Central HS merged in the early 80s. Granted, Binghamton was down that year, but we weren't any good either, seeing that I started at the 2 guard. We beat UE in the Section IV quarter finals to end Charlie Tarricone's coaching career there. Other than those two events, we had an uneventful season.

OLS is in Vestal. They used to play their games in the school cafeteria. It was brutal. Last year the church and school went through a major renovation. Now, I think they have a gym so they don't play on a cafeteria floor.

No need to apologize to other posters. I'm sure this is a nice break from the doom and gloom in Fairfax.........

Oh ok. Was Greenburg your coach? I think I went to a game or two at Vestal back in the day. I graduated from CV in '91 - I may have seen you play. You may remember Chuck Gelatt, who went to SU (was kicked out I believe) and eventually ended up at DePaul. He was coddled by the CV coaches - likely would have been better off going to prep school so that he had a better head on his shoulders for college.

Yep...some funky old gyms in CYO. The one time our team played a team west of Binghamton was a playoff game at St. Anthony's. They had an old school 1950's style time clock w/ hands. Our team was dominated and a UE kid named Freddy Whatman had a field day against us. I think he may have played for UE before CYO.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Oh ok. Was Greenburg your coach? I think I went to a game or two at Vestal back in the day. I graduated from CV in '91 - I may have seen you play. You may remember Chuck Gelatt, who went to SU (was kicked out I believe) and eventually ended up at DePaul. He was coddled by the CV coaches - likely would have been better off going to prep school so that he had a better head on his shoulders for college.

Yep...some funky old gyms in CYO. The one time our team played a team west of Binghamton was a playoff game at St. Anthony's. They had an old school 1950's style time clock w/ hands. Our team was dominated and a UE kid named Freddy Whatman had a field day against us. I think he may have played for UE before CYO.
Yes, Greenberg was my coach. He had played for the Washington Generals back in the day. We would play pick up games in the fall and he could hit from anywhere inside of half court. He was deadly from outside.

In '91 we played at CV. I don't think I played much (if I even got in the game) so you would have seen me on the bench.... I remember CV's court being a bit smaller than ours and they would use a 1-3-1 half court trap to take advantage. A few years later I was coaching a summer league team and we had a tournament held at CV. I used a 1-3-1 half court trap.

My senior year we played CV at Vestal and one of my two blocks all year came against Gelatt. He had gotten an offensive rebound in front of the basket and went back up. I was coming in from the top of the key and blocked it from behind. He and one of the guards (last name Sloan, maybe?) were too tough for us to handle.

The running joke in Endicott in 89 and 90 (before I reached varsity for Vestal) was that St Anthony's had a better team than UE. I remember seeing that clock w/ hands. a relic.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yes, Greenberg was my coach. He had played for the Washington Generals back in the day. We would play pick up games in the fall and he could hit from anywhere inside of half court. He was deadly from outside.

In '91 we played at CV. I don't think I played much (if I even got in the game) so you would have seen me on the bench.... I remember CV's court being a bit smaller than ours and they would use a 1-3-1 half court trap to take advantage. A few years later I was coaching a summer league team and we had a tournament held at CV. I used a 1-3-1 half court trap.

My senior year we played CV at Vestal and one of my two blocks all year came against Gelatt. He had gotten an offensive rebound in front of the basket and went back up. I was coming in from the top of the key and blocked it from behind. He and one of the guards (last name Sloan, maybe?) were too tough for us to handle.

The running joke in Endicott in 89 and 90 (before I reached varsity for Vestal) was that St Anthony's had a better team than UE. I remember seeing that clock w/ hands. a relic.

Oh yeah. CV had a bandbox of a gym when I was there. If I remember correctly, the gym had rounded backboards as opposed to square. They have since renovated the HS and that space is now a library. The new gym is nice, but they only put bleachers on one side. Not a big fan of that.

Yep - Colin Sloan, great guy. He's still in the Binghamton area and I see him from time to time. He was always a good ball handler but was a real shrimp before he hit HS and had a big growth spurt. I think they may have won STAC in '92 and I remember him having a great championshiop game. It may have been a sectional game - not sure.

I was always impressed with Greenberg as a coach. Don't know him, but I'll see him around town. I know his daughter Bess is in a good local band now called The Falconers. I actually caught them before a B-Mets game during the Eastern League Championship series. I was impressed. Talented girl, she could really hoop it up too. Her dad was there watching.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Oh yeah. CV had a bandbox of a gym when I was there. If I remember correctly, the gym had rounded backboards as opposed to square. They have since renovated the HS and that space is now a library. The new gym is nice, but they only put bleachers on one side. Not a big fan of that.

Yep - Colin Sloan, great guy. He's still in the Binghamton area and I see him from time to time. He was always a good ball handler but was a real shrimp before he hit HS and had a big growth spurt. I think they may have won STAC in '92 and I remember him having a great championshiop game. It may have been a sectional game - not sure.

I was always impressed with Greenberg as a coach. Don't know him, but I'll see him around town. I know his daughter Bess is in a good local band now called The Falconers. I actually caught them before a B-Mets game during the Eastern League Championship series. I was impressed. Talented girl, she could really hoop it up too. Her dad was there watching.
Yes, Colin Sloan. I was fortunate enough to play in the STAC senior all star game in '92 (I was the only senior that got any time for Vestal that year, so by default, I was on the all star team) and it just so happened the game was held at Vestal. Great for me because I had my career high that night and hit my only 3 pointer I ever took. I then pointed up to Greenberg in the stands after I made it; he never let me shoot since we had other guys who went on to play at Binghamton and Dartmouth that did all the scoring. Colin was on my team for that game. We were given t-shirts with "Wick's Lumber" on the front and numbers on the back. I don't even know where Wick's Lumber was....

MasonCrew

Starter
I went to Seton, but in Old Town Manassas. Because of how terrible Manassas is, we always felt the need to add Old Town, which is actually quite nice. But I'm from north of there past the battlefield closer to Gilbert's Corner.

Anyway, the biggest travesty of the game was the ridiculous cover that Davidson pulled. Cost me $50. I don't think I've ever lost a bet when a team was up 6 with 23 seconds to go and getting 5 points.