Game 18: Davidson College, Saturday, Jan 24th, 7 PM, NO TV

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Its just hard to win games with a roster built with 10 guys playing the same position. Half a Pg, and zero ability to attack AND defend for an entire game.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Not sure 5,500 were there tonight, there were a lot of students though for what that is worth,.
That probably is close to accurate actually, there were a LOT more people there than I expected. I assume the three-game plans they sold plus the t-shirts helped.

OP
Washingtonian

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
That probably is close to accurate actually, there were a LOT more people there than I expected. I assume the three-game plans they sold plus the t-shirts helped.

My seat neighbor showed up 5 minutes before tip off and saw the last shirt given out. Either they had more than 3,000 or not everyone took one.

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Went straight to a late show of American Sniper after the game. Figured that might bring my spirits up and be less depressing.

Wide open 3 at 65-59 and drawing up a play to get the ball to Jalen, the worst ft shooter on the court were infuriating but sadly not surprising.

Hewitt still has not won a big home game since vcu 3 years ago...

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
This is a choke job, plain and simple. We should of won this game by more than 6. Davidson did not play all that great tonight.

1. We missed at least 6-7 easy lay-ups right under the basket.... Thompson, Porter, Jenkins, Moore, and Gray had easy putbacks and missed. Not to mention that dunk we bricked.... a gaddamn dunk. WTF.

2. Gotta make your free throws. Jenkins man..... come on man. Gotta make one of those. Just have to. Big time players make big time shots...... he isn't big time.

3. Julian Royal..... don't shoot 3's.

4. Why is Jenkins in the game with under a minute!!?? GET HIM OUT. He is one of our worst FT shooters. Marko should of taken his place.

5. Our guys let a wide open shooter get open in the corner and the dude buried it. Don't care what conference this team came out of.... they have pure shooters who can knock down 3's when needed.

6. Why didn't we foul on their last possession!!?? Up 3 with 7 seconds to go and we let the best 3 point shooting team get a shot off. WTF.

7. Myles Tate was intriguing but why is he stealing minutes from Corey!? He should be taking V Gray's minutes. Gray is worthless.

8. How did Shevon Thompson lose the tip off to a player who was at least 6 inches shorter than him at the start of OT. The assistants needs to work on his all around game and teach him how to go up for tips. He had 0 business losing that tip off.

Plug this one in to the books on how we manage to keep losing and blowing games. Unfreaking real. Ugh

I did look over at Edwards when we were in OT and he just had his hand over his forehead the entire time. Get used to it Brad..... most of us are. Time to step up and get a coach who cares.

KAOriginal

All-American
I did look over at Edwards when we were in OT and he just had his hand over his forehead the entire time. Get used to it Brad..... most of us are. Time to step up and get a coach who cares.

The real sad thing? I honestly think Hewitt does care...but he doesn't know HOW to fix it.

Someone said...he got lucky at Siena with 3 all time scorers at once, got lucky early at GT with NBA talent and apparently great assistants, but when it comes down to HIM having to out scheme, actually coach, draw up plays, etc.....then the poor man is LOST.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Hewitt should have instructed the team to foul immediately if Jenkins missed both shots at the time out. Not scream to foul after the ball is already down the court. Totally his fault.
Problem with fouling right after the Jenkins air ball is that there was too much time left on the clock (I believe 11 secs?). I'm all for fouling when up by 3, but the foul has to occur with under 5 seconds left.
What gets me (among other things) is that Davidson calls timeout before the air ball. Some are saying Hewitt was yelling at his players to foul. I sit near the Mason bench and didn't hear him. I'm not saying he wasn't yelling to foul, I just didn't hear it. But my point is this- WTF did he tell them in the timeout? He must not have said, "if we are up by 3 with under 5 seconds, foul" because our guys didn't even try to foul at any point during Davidson's possession.

I'll give Hewitt credit as well...when he called his customary worthless second to last TO at 4 minutes (which finally didn't burn us, because we actually led after that), he set up a nice play.

Jackson then missed a dunk. Corey Edwards also missed an open three with three seconds time to set and shoot.

More on the players this game. But as I said, he didn't deserve to win the Manhattan game, so Hewitt's record is right where it should be.

Problem with fouling right after the Jenkins air ball is that there was too much time left on the clock (I believe 11 secs?). I'm all for fouling when up by 3, but the foul has to occur with under 5 seconds left.
What gets me (among other things) is that Davidson calls timeout before the air ball. Some are saying Hewitt was yelling at his players to foul. I sit near the Mason bench and didn't hear him. I'm not saying he wasn't yelling to foul, I just didn't hear it. But my point is this- WTF did he tell them in the timeout? He must not have said, "if we are up by 3 with under 5 seconds, foul" because our guys didn't even try to foul at any point during Davidson's possession.

This is why I hate silent assistants during huddles. NO coach can remember to tell his team everything in the huddle. Especially not this coach, apparently.

I didn't hear him yelling for a foul either. Maybe it was apparent on TV? Beats me.

4. Why is Jenkins in the game with under a minute!!?? GET HIM OUT. He is one of our worst FT shooters. Marko should of taken his place.

7. Myles Tate was intriguing but why is he stealing minutes from Corey!? He should be taking V Gray's minutes. Gray is worthless.

I have never understood our coach's (mostly late-game) substitution patterns.

Christman in our section as Jenkins was fouled: "That's the last guy we want on the line."

wijg

Starter
8. How did Shevon Thompson lose the tip off to a player who was at least 6 inches shorter than him at the start of OT. The assistants needs to work on his all around game and teach him how to go up for tips. He had 0 business losing that tip off.
The toss was horrible. It went right to the Davidson player.

Patriotfan49

Starter
More on the players this game. But as I said, he didn't deserve to win the Manhattan game, so Hewitt's record is right where it should be.

I dont agree. Jenkins does need to hit at least one of them, but the performance throughout the game was a solid one by the players. Shots fall and shots miss, you cant bank on an open shot going in regardless of the situation.

The fact they cant lean on their coach to help coach them through critical situations is a shame. Hewitt makes the right call, for one play at the end there after the FTs and the game is over. Like many other times, he fails to do so.

MASONscott

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023

Was at most of the game up until the last 13.5 seconds so this loss is my fault (wife and I had a rare date night and had to book it to the Emmet Swimming show).

On the radio, Lamar as well said the rule of thumb was 5 seconds before the play. Rohland said he would even go with 7 seconds if it was back court.

Last edited:

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I have never understood our coach's (mostly late-game) substitution patterns.

Christman in our section as Jenkins was fouled: "That's the last guy we want on the line."

I agree. Not only is he not the right guy on the line, we design an in-bounds play that makes it very likely he'll have the ball in his hands when Davidson is looking to foul.

Sure, he needs to make a free throw, but he shouldn't be put in that position in the first place, IMO.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I completely agree that the play should not have been designed for Jenkins if it was, but I think the bigger issue is that we are not a very good FT shooting team overall (9th in the A10). Believe it or not, we actually have several players who shoot worse than Jenkins.

Moore (78%), Jackson (70%), Edwards (69%) and Porter (65%) are respectable, but then the drop off is very steep with Royal, Thompson and Jenkins being in the 50-60% range. Inexplicably, Gray is the lowest at 35%.

It is kind of strange that they guy with the funkiest stroke (Moore ) is the best FT shooter on the team. Go figure.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I completely agree that the play should not have been designed for Jenkins if it was, but I think the bigger issue is that we are not a very good FT shooting team overall (9th in the A10). Believe it or not, we actually have several players who shoot worse than Jenkins.

Moore (78%), Jackson (70%), Edwards (69%) and Porter (65%) are respectable, but then the drop off is very steep with Royal, Thompson and Jenkins being in the 50-60% range. Inexplicably, Gray is the lowest at 35%.

It is kind of strange that they guy with the funkiest stroke (Moore ) is the best FT shooter on the team. Go figure.

Jenkins was a 69% FT shooter last year, too, (on 101 attempts, so it's not like he never got to the line) so to see the regression is disappointing.