Game 17, UMass, Jan 15th, 7 PM, MASN

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
If you need to guard the perimeter, Okoloji or CE?

I don't know why AO was guarding Chaz, probably because of a switch. The guards that we did have out there wouldn't have stopped him either. He's going to get around you regardless if you're Marquise Moore, Corey Edwards, Bryon Allen, Tommy O....etc.

GMURaider

Sixth Man
This one hurts as much as the 2007/2009 CAA Finals and the 2009 NIT. I wanted this one badly.

This season from Hell slogs on.

I love this team and I am a Patriot fan for life.

:( :( :(

Jenkins and some of the young players give us hope.

@ a Rhode Island team that will have studied their loss against us - :(

(SIGH) - Rough Night....

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Never should've come down to the end.

UMass goes to the 1-2-2 and instead of putting Marko or Jalen at the FT line, which is the softest spot in that defense, we had Copes and J2 there. Tactical blunder. If you put a shooter at the FT line, it opens up the entire defense.

Then we got lucky that Kellogg (for some reason) abandond the zone and let us build the lead again, so we draw up 3 consecutive horrrible inbounds plays.

And still we would've won, if only our senior guards wouldn't have melted down and given the game away.

Good effort, but bad coaching + bad playing in the clutch = gut-wrenching loss.

R

rockster

Spectator
Was O Connor at the game? Come on TOC suck it up and get us a coach. Hewitt must be burned out after that disaster. What a joke, you just knew we were going to lose that game. What happened to Corey Edwards, he didn't play at all. Can we please get rid of Okolojie, he is totally out of control, yet Hewitt puts him in late in the game . Cant take this coach, he has to go.

sigmanorm

Starter
Jenkins, Allen and Wright scored 63 points and we lose????
Sherrod had a decent stat line, but missed key FTs and open looks. Stepping on the inbound line is inexcusable. You have to have better court awareness.

Patriotfan49

Starter

UMass goes to the 1-2-2 and instead of putting Marko or Jalen at the FT line, which is the softest spot in that defense, we had Copes and J2 there. Tactical blunder. If you put a shooter at the FT line, it opens up the entire defense.

Then we got lucky that Kellogg (for some reason) abandond the zone and let us build the lead again, so we draw up 3 consecutive horrrible inbounds plays.

And still we would've won, if only our senior guards wouldn't have melted down and given the game away.

Good effort, but bad coaching + bad playing in the clutch = gut-wrenching loss.

Copes and J2 this game were awful on defense. Just absolute sieves.......abused at the rim by a player over a foot shorter then them.

patriot2000

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I was stuck watching the game in delay on dvr. I can tell you, this loss was 1000% on Hewitt. Sure, the seniors should not have blown it at the end, but Hewitts time out management, some bad subs, and especially lack of ability to adjust to the 1 2 2 zone, put them in position to lose.

There were 6 minutes on the clock when I told my wife, "We are going to lose, and here's why" and I was right on all counts.

I am far from a basketball expert and I can see things coach can't see.

Btw, in the last second after the tie up, Hewitt was asking people "Whose ball is it? It's ours, right?" The stupid overpaid son of a bitch doesn't even know which way the possession arrow is pointing at the end of a tight game in the most important game of his Mason career.

Last edited:

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Sherrod had a decent stat line, but missed key FTs and open looks. Stepping on the inbound line is inexcusable. You have to have better court awareness.

It wasn't his foot on the line, the ball hit the line.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Pretty sure the pass hit the line, he didn't step on it...Not that it matters in the least.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The pisser of it is - there were certainly plenty of viewers tuning into this thing at the end. Just college bball fans wondering if GMU can pull the upset. These fans got to see the perfect summary of GMU basketball over the course of minutes. Us GMU fans have been suffering through it for much longer. Sadly, this latest collapse is GMU basketball right now.

Patriotfan49

Starter
I was stuck watching the game in delay on dvr. I can tell you, this loss was 1000% on Hewitt. Sure, the seniors should not have blown it at the end, but Hewitts time out management, some bad subs, and especially lack of ability to adjust to the 1 2 1 zone, put them in position to lose.

There were 6 minutes on the clock when I told my wife, "We are going to lose, and here's why" and I was right on all counts.

I am far from a basketball expert and I can see things coach can't see.

Btw, in the last second after the tie up, Hewitt was asking people "Whose ball is it? It's ours, right?" The stupid overpaid son of a bitch doesn't even know which way the possession arrow is pointing at the end of a tight game in the most important game of his Mason career.

Sitting there, I had a eery feeling that him being stumped by that zone and following draught would come back to haunt us. Pretty sure that last rebound hit J2 or whoever was under the hoop in the head....it literally bounced off his forehead.

Same feeling I had as I watched our seniors hand the game away...Allen, Wright, Williams all couldnt come up clutch for us. All through the game it was like 2 steps forward, 2.5 steps back....

He had Copes at the FT line, which was a bad idea. Copes got his fourth and J2 came in and we were okay.

Kellogg came out of the zone when we went up 5.

It caused us problems but sometimes switching defenses does. I watched Hewitt on the clipboard and everything he di agrammed was standard stuff.

If I have issues with Hewitt its more doing nothing to take the ball out of Chaz's hands. Comical BA would let him roll the ball up for fear of Chaz going around him, when just letting him having the ball meant that was unavoidable anyway.

How bout not guarding the unbounded and doubling him. Anything creative? Course not.