Game 13: La Salle University, Saturday, Jan 3rd, 7 PM, NO TV

patriot2000

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
We turned a corner a couple of weeks ago and moved from "bad" to "mediocre." I think we will finish closer to the middle than the bottom. I expect that begins with a win tonight against La Salle.

I'm a genius!

Seriously, though, good win. Top 75 rpi win, right? Sounds like Edwards came up big. I really like him as a jump-in-when-you-need-him guy. I expected we'd be using him for D and a couple of 3s. Turned out we used him as a replacement for MM, and he got it done.

Does anyone know where Moore was?

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Nice win baby...at Richmond, home against UMass and at SBU (not at SBU, but in an upstate NY hockey arena) These guys have the talent to take 2 of 3. Would love to see it!

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I'm a genius!

Seriously, though, good win. Top 75 rpi win, right? Sounds like Edwards came up big. I really like him as a jump-in-when-you-need-him guy. I expected we'd be using him for D and a couple of 3s. Turned out we used him as a replacement for MM, and he got it done.

Moore was on the bench with a boot on his foot. Corey with 7 assists and 3 steals was a difference maker last night. Lasalle was projected to finish 7th in the A10 in preseason polls. I'll take the win at home.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Happy to finally be able to get on the boards after trying since I got home after the game last night. Must admit, the thought crossed my mind that people who wanted to see the team fall on its face this year in order to make it easier to dump Hewitt somehow sabotaged the site!

Seriously, the team played really well especially in the second half. Fair number of backdoor baskets, clutch baskets by several guys, and good defense over the last chunk of the game. Hewitt played offense-defense with Holloway/Gray (no real news there) but also Jenkins/Porter. Porter did influence some poor shots near the basket late in the game. Also, the defense on Wright (who "owned" Thompson in the first half) in the second half--doubling down on him but also recovering to guard against a 3 when Wright passed it out was very effective.

Edwards played an excellent floor game (7 assists), drew a couple of charges (which is one of his strengths) and played nearly the whole game. A gritty performance by all--lots of hustle (often without being able to get rewarded with steals due to bad luck). Very admirable--makes the team much easier to root for after the debacle over the first few weeks of the season.

If we can sustain this sort of performance, we're definitely in the middle of the A10 (at least).

wijg

Starter
We are tied for first in the A10 standings!

We are currently ahead of:
vcu
Fordham
La Salle
St. Louis
Massachusetts
Richmond
St. Joseph's
Duquesne

Life is good.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
win at home, split the road games and we are good. However, temper expectations with this coach is the best way to approach as a fan.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
From the La Salle boards, a familiar refrain:

"We need to start looking for a high-caliber coach... It is embarrassing paying coach G over $400k while getting $150k value. We need a new quality AD very soon and start the search as soon as possible. Very infuriating that G has remained loyal to assistant coaches who have hurt our team by failing to help G with his coaching deficiencies".

Read more: http://explorertown.proboards.com/thread/1559/game-thread-george-mason-7pm?page=4#ixzz3NsEW4WgQ

Great game last night in every aspect. I continue to think Hewitt is a better coach with less options.
Don't know if LaSalle normally shoots this bad from the perimeter, but any team that can't shoot from 3 is a much better match up for us.
So happy Corey might finally get it. And the adjustments/backdoor cuts were fantastic.
Even willing to journey to UR Thursday now.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I'm torn for the obvious reasons.
Happy for the win but realize what too many of those may mean come March 1st.
How funny to see the halftime game played by a youth team with identical uniforms of our previous coach's current university. Too soon??????
Some of the comments from the crowd about the current coach weren't so funny......

psyclone

Hall of Famer
We are tied for first in the A10 standings!

We are currently ahead of:
vcu
Fordham
La Salle
St. Louis
Massachusetts
Richmond
St. Joseph's
Duquesne

Life is good.

We'll get a sense of things over the next week with Richmond and UMass. My gut feel (haven't really seen many A10 teams play yet) is that vcu, Davidson, GW, and Dayton are a cut above us while we would be in the mix with the rest of the league and might even be better than the other "also rans".

As another poster mentioned, we may have advantages over other teams who don't have strong presence underneath and/or aren't great at shooting 3's.

OP
Washingtonian

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
I'm a genius!

Yup, it was a Top 75 RPI win, and we moved up to 201st in the country in assists per game: http://statsheet.com/mcb/teams/george-mason

Scythe

Starter
What's the early thinking on who took the board down - LaSalle fans or North Korea?

Good win!!
Hard to say, the DDOS attack originated from the Netherlands, so someone most likely paid a few bucks for the attack. I'll improve the protections tonight.