Game 13: GMU (7-5 / 0-0) at vcu (7-4 / 0-0) on Thursday, December 30, at 7PM. POSTPONED.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
So after 2 weeks on pause, vcu doesn't have 7 players and 1 coach available? That seems a bit extraordinary.

I have no idea obviously, but my suspicion is that they need time to get back into game shape, practice etc. Perhaps a few players got really sick?

FreeGunston12

All-American
I have no idea obviously, but my suspicion is that they need time to get back into game shape, practice etc. Perhaps a few players got really sick?
Under the rules, it sounds to me like if they are available at all then they have to play the game. Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

Maybe other injuries have left them with a smaller margin for covid error than otherwise possible? I know they had a couple players out due to injury beforehand so that may play a role too.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
This will likely be unpopular, but, it seems probable that most, if not all, teams are going to have a bout of omicron before we get out of the season. Other teams are getting their bout out of way during the slow period. I fear we may luck into poor timing on this one and get ours during a peak playing period in-conference.

Actually, given new CDC guidance with a shortened quarantine period (so long as they remain asymtpomatic), it might be a benefit to have avoided an outbreak within the program early?

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR

I want proof - most young people get mild symptoms unless they have another condition. I smell fear or an outbreak of STI on the team.

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Matt Norlander
@MattNorlander
·
56m

We’ve got more. Also on A-10 postpoment list for Thursday, per sources:

Dayton-Rhode Island
Davidson-Duquesne
St. Bonaventure-GW
Saint Louis-UMass

None getting played Thursday. I think the A-10 has been hit as hard—if not harder—by postponements this week than any other league.

Matt Norlander
@MattNorlander
·
1h

Related to this: Thursday’s George Mason-vcu game is postponed due to COVID cases in vcu’s program, according to sources.
Makes sense the A10 is struggling. Lots of teams in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast Covid hots spots. Hell, with DC being the #1 hotspot in the country, I am surprised Mason has avoided an outbreak. With the GMU womens team having been hit, it won't be long for the mens program is affected, which is what happened at the U of Wisconsin.

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"The revision requires teams that have seven available scholarship student-athletes and one countable coach to compete in all conference contests. Teams may also participate with less than seven available student-athletes. If a team elects not to play, despite having seven scholarship student-athletes and one coach available, that team will incur a forfeit and be given a loss in the league standings, and the opposing team will be granted a forfeit win."

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

"The revision requires teams that have seven available scholarship student-athletes and one countable coach to compete in all conference contests. Teams may also participate with less than seven available student-athletes. If a team elects not to play, despite having seven scholarship student-athletes and one coach available, that team will incur a forfeit and be given a loss in the league standings, and the opposing team will be granted a forfeit win."
Wonder when we will find out about vcu?
If they are willing to tell the truth, that is. I mean, how is the league really going to police this?