Game 11: AT James Madison University, Saturday, December 12th, 4 PM, NO TV

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
On to the next one. Poppa said there'd be games like this.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Can anybody recall the last time we had a game without one player hitting double digits? This was one of those days where you can honestly say nobody really played well.

I'm starting to feel bad for DeAndre Abrams. After going 0-5 from the floor today, he is now is now shooting 26% this season (13-50). Getting experience is great for our young guys, but even with Livingston and Grayer you have to wonder if these demoralizing losses will have a lasting affect on their psyches. In addition to coaching them up on the court, Paulsen also has to to somehow find a way to keep their spirits up.
Tom, I don't really worry about this. If the young guys are destined to be good players, they will grow from this and learn some mental toughness. If guys wilt as a result of this then they were never going to be that good to begin with. What I see as a consistent problem is the fact that when things start to go bad, guys can't pull themselves out of the tailspin. To me, that is the epitomy of having a ton of freshmen playing. Those are the exact situations where you need an upperclassmen to gather the team and get a huge stop or score on their own, if needed. We just don't have that.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Tom, I don't really worry about this. If the young guys are destined to be good players, they will grow from this and learn some mental toughness. If guys wilt as a result of this then they were never going to be that good to begin with. What I see as a consistent problem is the fact that when things start to go bad, guys can't pull themselves out of the tailspin. To me, that is the epitomy of having a ton of freshmen playing. Those are the exact situations where you need an upperclassmen to gather the team and get a huge stop or score on their own, if needed. We just don't have that.

This is what I saw last night. And this is the limitation of Moore's offense. There were so many opportunities for him to step up with the ball in his hands, but unless he's got a lane to the basket his shot is like playing roulette.

All JMU had to do was put three players in the lane to stop us. We didn't even have shooters in both corners on most possessions -- very poorly spaced out on the floor.

liem.le.3388

Starter
I'm disappointed that there isn't a post game interview with Paulsen for this game. Where is the effort to keep whatever fans we have left informed.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023

psyclone

Hall of Famer
I'm disappointed that there isn't a post game interview with Paulsen for this game. Where is the effort to keep whatever fans we have left informed.

In the past, post game extra on gomason.com is not typical for away games. The Towson and (perhaps) the Charleston tournament are exceptions.

Nevertheless, I agree with points being made by liem and brian---it would be very welcome to us hard core fans to get the post game interview. Especially in that there isn't a weekly "Coach's show" either on tv or online.

When the Post doesn't have someone at these away games (which will be particularly typical this year), to get quotes from out-of-town games, you have to search for a media source who is covering the other team and they will naturally focus on what the home team coach has to say.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
The Dukes are looking for a new coach after letting Brady go.

I don't know what took them so long but it will be interesting to see who they can get in Harrisonburg.

I saw some speculation that Kevin Sutton - a former player - has been lobbying for the job. Worked so well last time.

Also, DU and UD are looking for a new coach. And UD doesn't have an AD. So an AD will have to be hired first.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The Dukes are looking for a new coach after letting Brady go.

I don't know what took them so long but it will be interesting to see who they can get in Harrisonburg.

I saw some speculation that Kevin Sutton - a former player - has been lobbying for the job. Worked so well last time.

Also, DU and UD are looking for a new coach. And UD doesn't have an AD. So an AD will have to be hired first.

Wasn't it cheapness? I'm pretty sure the scenario went like this: they were too cheap to fire him with a year left on his contract. And so they let him ride into the last year of his contract with no extension and he goes and wins the CAA championship. And you can't fire a guy who just took your team to the NCAA tournament for the first time in something like, what, 15 years? So, they they were forced to extend him and they are back at square one.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
If Caputo leaves Miami at all, I'm pretty sure it will be for a higher level than the CAA. Otherwise, he takes over Miami when Larranaga retires.

I don't see Chris taking over the Miami job with no head coaching experience. If anything, they would hire James Johnson since he has already been a head coach in the ACC (despite unimpressive results). The JMU job would be a great opportunity for Caputo. Once he gets a few years under his belt at a mid-major, he could then return to Miami or apply for another BCS job.

Steve33

Sixth Man
Besides JMU coming to Fairfax next season does anyone know who else (non conference) might be visiting us this fall?

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Pitt looking for coach now that Dixon left for TCU. Archie Miller? Kevin Keatts?