Game 10: University of Northern Iowa, Tuesday, Dec 8th, 7 PM, American Sports Network

Petey Buckets

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
We didn't put a full 40 together today, but there was a stretch of about 25 minutes of game time where we gave UNI all they could handle. Didn't come into this one expecting to win, so I'm just happy about the way the guys responded after getting down big. Some takeaways:

- Otis was solid, but really struggled to defend Washbun. Washbun looks like Wesley Snipes from White Men Can't Jump so maybe he was just intimidated.

- I can't imagine Holloway making a worse case for playing time than tonight. He took only bad shots and was a total ballstopper. Even at his best, he's just a bad fit for Paulsen's offense. The only good news for Patrick is that Murrell was equally bad. Young Kameron looks like the game is moving too fast for him right now, and he should probably be eased into the rotation.

- Shevon had some highlight-reel plays, but some others that seemed... ahem... soft. He was less panicked against the double in the post, but is still too indecisive against it. Loved his block on the defensive end followed by the and-1 on the break.

- We had a 23-8 offensive rebounding advantage, but only shot 5-24 from 3. I think we need to accept that we're going to be a poor 3 point shooting team more often than not, and that it'll be really hard to beat good teams without getting some 3s to fall.

All said, credit to UNI. They're a disciplined, well-coached team, and every time we made a run they responded. I'd love to continue the home-and-home with them.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Post game extra is already up on gomason.com. Very nice postgame comments by DP and an upbeat assessment of the progress we have made without ignoring the fact that we still have more progress to make. Good vibes between the coach and Otis. Makes one hopeful for the program.

Again, kudos to whoever puts this together and gets it posted within a couple hours after the game.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
UNI is tough to guard because Washpun is super-quick and they surround him with 3-point shooters.

Every time it looked like we were about to get over the hump, Jesperson or Bohannon would hit a 3.

The 25-footer Jesperson hit in Jenkins' face right after Marko's missed layup was a back-breaker.

Proud of our guys, though. They clearly care a great deal and never quit against a veteran team that already has a victory over Carolina on its resume this season.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
An effort to be proud of. These young guys are starting to gel. When that happens, less turnovers, more made shots. Otis and Grayer are no longer "freshmen" , imo.

Good to see Royal on the bench. Im assuming he is about a week or two away from returning?

Bricker

Starter
Getting blown 9-26 7:48

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

GMU_DCU

All-Conference
I was hoping there would be an increased emphasis on free throw shooting now that Blewitt is gone but this team is just never going to be a good FT shooting team. We had several chances at and ones and missed the free throws which is a momentum killer. You know when you play a team like UNI that it's important to hit FTs because they rarely miss theirs.

Oh well, proud of the effort tonight from most of the guys except for that stretch in the first half. Grayer with the three turnovers on consecutive plays really cut into his minutes. Shevon seemed to improve passing out of the double team. Now if we could just get the bigs to stop putting the ball on the floor!! Jenkins and Shevon had at least 4 turnovers because of this. Holloway's shot looked awful last night and I noticed on offense the team was passing the ball around well and it would get to Holloway and the flow was gone.

Kudos to the Green Machine last night, keep rocking! Saw some of the players (mostly the young guys)came over after the game and say thanks to the Green Machine which was a nice gesture.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
I was hoping there would be an increased emphasis on free throw shooting now that Blewitt is gone but this team is just never going to be a good FT shooting team. We had several chances at and ones and missed the free throws which is a momentum killer. You know when you play a team like UNI that it's important to hit FTs because they rarely miss theirs.

Can anyone explain Marquise's difficulties at the FT line so far this season:

2013-14: 78.4% (29-37)
2014-15: 79.1 (87-110)
2015-16: 53.6 (15-28)

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Holloway's shot looked awful last night and I noticed on offense the team was passing the ball around well and it would get to Holloway and the flow was gone.

Good observation -- the ball definitely sticks when Pat is in the game, and it's obvious because the other guys move it beautifully when he's not.

He played 3 years in an offense where he basically got to do whatever he wanted with the ball, and it's not an easy adjustment to simply keeping the ball moving and being content to help the team get the best possible shot.

He's literally the only guy on the team who took a shot off a 1-pass possession last night, and he did it a couple times.

I was shocked DP didn't just jerk him right out of the game the second time. DP even clapped after one of the bricks ... obviously trying to be more encouraging, for whatever reason.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Good observation -- the ball definitely sticks when Pat is in the game, and it's obvious because the other guys move it beautifully when he's not.

He played 3 years in an offense where he basically got to do whatever he wanted with the ball, and it's not an easy adjustment to simply keeping the ball moving and being content to help the team get the best possible shot.

He's literally the only guy on the team who took a shot off a 1-pass possession last night, and he did it a couple times.

I was shocked DP didn't just jerk him right out of the game the second time. DP even clapped after one of the bricks ... obviously trying to be more encouraging, for whatever reason.

Despite the DNP-CD in the prior game, it certainly appears that Coach Paulsen hasn't given up on Patrick yet.

Herndon

All-Conference
Even though Moore wasn't getting the calls, I loved how aggressive he was taking it to the rack and drawing contact. If he plays that aggressively every game, I'll be happy camper.

We'll see how it holds up in conference play, but it appears we've got a solid top 6. Not at ALL consistent, but at least 6 guys who you know can do some things, with an idea of how they want to play as a team.

JBiggs

Starter
It does seem like Marquise's shooting motion has changed some, and that could be the cause.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Kudos to the Green Machine last night, keep rocking! Saw some of the players (mostly the young guys)came over after the game and say thanks to the Green Machine which was a nice gesture.

Agree and they (Especially Grayer and Otis) have done that at almost every home game. Gotta love that enthusiasm and gratitude which is rare for any kid that age.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Marko also went over to the band and Jalen waved to the crowd and students as well.