G Mas was just getting roasted on 106.7 "The Fan"

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
They were discussing how G Mas probably bit off a little bit more than they could chew in their move to the A-10 and how they were guaranteed to always be a top 3 contender in the woeful CAA with vcu gone especially. I'm pretty sure that the "play-by-play" guy wasn't one of the hosts.

Patriotfan49

Starter
I dont blame people for thinking that. Just by simply looking at the record the average joe would assume that.

The reality is we are able to compete in the A10, just have a certain highly paid leech on the sideline that is killing us. Plus there is no way we would have any guarantee to be a top 3 contender in the CAA.....we werent in one of the worst years of the CAA.....

MasonCrew

Starter
106.7 is full of idiots. Them talking ignorantly about Mason basketball doesn't impact me. Not sure why you listen to them to begin with?

Last edited:
OP
P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
106.7 is full of idiots. Them talking ignorantly about Mason basketball doesn't impact me. Not sure why you listen to them to being with?

So you would feel better if they were talking about what they thought was a brilliant move moving to the A-10? That wouldn't be ignorant, right? They were just speaking what they thought was the truth. They just saw G Mas get blown out at home vs. powerhouse St. Bona and are 2-9 in the new league and haven't won at home in 6 weeks. Based on the record to date, hard to argue with them. At least I wouldn't argue with them.

MasonCrew

Starter
No - but to say Mason bit off more than they can chew in the a10 is a stupid comment. We're 50 seconds of solid basketball away from two more wins in conference (one on the road at SLU, one at home vs. UMass, and have been in pretty much every game). So it's actually quite easy to argue we are only unlucky (like GW last year). For the record, I'm not saying we're unlucky; I think Hewitt needs to go. But simply digging even only into the surface shows that we're competing in the a10, just losing closely.

This also doesn't even begin to get into the financials behind the school's athletic department which is a much better indicator of a school "biting off more than they can chew" than one season's record.

Obviously, I would prefer them to talk about the move being a brilliant move.

Last edited:

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Pretty sure the only one who bit off more than he could chew was TOC when he decided to fly solo and bring in Bozo the Coach.

The move to the A-10 was a no-brainer. If the guys at 106.7 had done the slightest bit of homework, they'd know that our basketball budget and facilities are both competitive with most current A-10 schools.

But to expect guys who think bloviating on the radio is a "real job" to do more than just talk out of their asses is probably biting off more than we can chew.

OP
P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
Pretty sure the only one who bit off more than he could chew was TOC when he decided to fly solo and bring in Bozo the Coach.

The move to the A-10 was a no-brainer. If the guys at 106.7 had done the slightest bit of homework, they'd know that our basketball budget and facilities are both competitive with most current A-10 schools.

But to expect guys who think bloviating on the radio is a "real job" to do more than just talk out of their asses is probably biting off more than we can chew.

Jim, I agree with you about the hacks on the radio around here. It's unfortunate that they don't attack the professional teams around here for consistent poor play, but they are all wearing knee pads since they have the Bullets, Caps, Nats and Skins stuffed in their mouths, which makes it difficult to speak, much less criticize.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Jim, I agree with you about the hacks on the radio around here. It's unfortunate that they don't attack the professional teams around here for consistent poor play, but they are all wearing knee pads since they have the Bullets, Caps, Nats and Skins stuffed in their mouths, which makes it difficult to speak, much less criticize.

You should try moving to Richmond. The local sports talk guys here don't spend much time on college hoops, but they seem to enjoy fellating Shaka ... of course, none of them ever point out that the tiny genius still has never won a conference regular-season title.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
So you would feel better if they were talking about what they thought was a brilliant move moving to the A-10? That wouldn't be ignorant, right? They were just speaking what they thought was the truth. They just saw G Mas get blown out at home vs. powerhouse St. Bona and are 2-9 in the new league and haven't won at home in 6 weeks. Based on the record to date, hard to argue with them. At least I wouldn't argue with them.
And if we fire our coach and turn that record in the opposite direction in 2 years, these same morons would talk about what a brilliant move it was. Radio people, outside a select few, are the worst.

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer

The Junks have been talking to Lonergan a lot this season, shocker, it's their flavor of the month.

A real sports show would balance out the local teams and talk to all of them. AU was doing well for a long and probably peaked too early, and got nothing.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The Phil Hendrie Show is hilarious. It used to be on in the DC area when I lived in NOVA. Not sure if it is anymore.

Last edited:

You don't listen enough. I've heard guys want Ernie fired for years now. And they destroyed the Skins this season, blasted the Nats for months last year when they weren't playing well and the limited time they talk hockey, there is no love from GMGM.

You pretty much complain/criticize everything don't you? Must be a hard life to walk around knowing you could be better at everyone else's job.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
The DC Sports Radio guys are pretty much all negative because there isn't much positive going on in DC sports.

Mason2005

All-American
GIVING DAY 2023
The DC Sports Radio guys are pretty much all negative because there isn't much positive going on in DC sports.

Beal came in second in the 3pt in the all stars 3 pt competition and Wall came in 1st "kinda" in the dunk competition. GO WIZARDS.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Beal came in second in the 3pt in the all stars 3 pt competition and Wall came in 1st "kinda" in the dunk competition. GO WIZARDS.

Charles Barkley, Steve Kerr and Reggie Miller all mentioned this past weekend that Washington's starting backcourt with Wall and Beal will be the best in the NBA over the next several years. As much as I've railed on Ernie Grunfeld for some stupid draft picks and contract extensions, he does deserve credit for putting together a team that can get to the playoffs and even win a first-round series.

Charles Barkley, Steve Kerr and Reggie Miller all mentioned this past weekend that Washington's starting backcourt with Wall and Beal will be the best in the NBA over the next several years. As much as I've railed on Ernie Grunfeld for some stupid draft picks and contract extensions, he does deserve credit for putting together a team that can get to the playoffs and even win a first-round series.

Easy there. Ernie's picks for Beal and Wall were two of the biggest no brainers in recent NBA history.

If he were really good at his job (and he's not) he wouldn't have screwed up and taking Jan with the #6 pick when they had it. Brutal draft. Of course watching him take the stiff Pecherov instead of Rondo in 06 was just the beginning of his wonderful drafts in Washington....

...don't even get me started on '09.....