G Mas was just getting roasted on 106.7 "The Fan"

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Easy there. Ernie's picks for Beal and Wall were two of the biggest no brainers in recent NBA history.

If he were really good at his job (and he's not) he wouldn't have screwed up and taking Jan with the #6 pick when they had it. Brutal draft. Of course watching him take the stiff Pecherov instead of Rondo in 06 was just the beginning of his wonderful drafts in Washington....

...don't even get me started on '09.....

The fact that Leonsis has never fired nor hired a GM for either of the sports teams he runs baffles me.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Easy there. Ernie's picks for Beal and Wall were two of the biggest no brainers in recent NBA history.

I'm not talking about those two, Siegfried. Grunfeld probably should have been fired a few years ago, but where he does deserve credit is building the parts around Beal and Wall with guys like Arieza, Webster, Nene, Gortat, Booker and Seraphin.

He's had some busts via the draft (Vesely is terrible) and free agency (Maynor), but he's finally compiled a roster with good players rather than a bunch of knuckleheads (Blatche, Young and JaVale McGee).

There was a time when a first-round pick like Otto Porter would have had to start out of necessity; now he can't even get consistent minutes because the roster is so deep.

OP
P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
Charles Barkley, Steve Kerr and Reggie Miller all mentioned this past weekend that Washington's starting backcourt with Wall and Beal will be the best in the NBA over the next several years. As much as I've railed on Ernie Grunfeld for some stupid draft picks and contract extensions, he does deserve credit for putting together a team that can get to the playoffs and even win a first-round series.

Tom. Come on man...getting to the playoffs in the East means absolutely nothing. What is that man's record? He's been here, what, 10 years?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
There was a time when a first-round pick like Otto Porter would have had to start out of necessity; now he can't even get consistent minutes because the roster is so deep.

I agree with your general premise, Tom.

But since we're talking about the Wizards, we have to account for the possibility that Porter was a lousy pick. It's happened before to this franchise, once or twice.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
But since we're talking about the Wizards, we have to account for the possibility that Porter was a lousy pick. It's happened before to this franchise, once or twice.

Believe me, Jim, that has crossed my mind. I cut him some slack due to missing so much time with the hip injury, but he seems to lack the confidence gene that you need to succeed in the NBA.

OP
P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
I agree with your general premise, Tom.

Jim is spot on here. Believe me, that team has no depth. If he could play, he would be playing.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
As a whole DC just isn't a good sports town. Too many transient residents among other reasons.

DC is a great sports town when it wants to be but a 20+ year drought of championships will kill a lot of enthusiasm, plus not having a baseball team for a few decades. Not saying we're as good as New York or Chicago or anything but we're not as bad as, say, Atlanta or Tampa.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
DC is a great sports town when it wants to be but a 20+ year drought of championships will kill a lot of enthusiasm, plus not having a baseball team for a few decades. Not saying we're as good as New York or Chicago or anything but we're not as bad as, say, Atlanta or Tampa.

When it comes to New York professional sports they obviously have the DC area beat. But, one thing New York sports doesn't have is college basketball or even college sports as a whole for that matter. Syracuse doesn't count because of how far away from the city they are. If St. John's can continue to build a reputable program they'll help, but DC definitely has a better college sports scene than New York.

JamesMason

Preferred Walk-On
Just heard that Wizards training camp will not be at George Mason this year, will be at the verizon center

GreenLantern

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Mainly due to the Mason Inn closing and the Wizards not willing to shell out for hotel space nearby

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Mainly due to the Mason Inn closing and the Wizards not willing to shell out for hotel space nearby

Is there really a hotel close enough that would have worked? I mean if you have to travel from Tyson's or Fair Lakes, you might as well just stay in the district.

It's been awhile since I've been back to Fairfax (2011 was the last homecoming I've been to) but I don't remember the hotel options being that great close to campus.