Facilities and Arena discussion

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"The Freedom has partnered with one of the world’s leading cricket entities, Australia’s Cricket New South Wales, to lead preparation of the player roster and provide high performance services including coaching, sports science and sports medicine, performance analysis and team operations, the release said.

While the Freedom will not host any home matches in the 2023 season, MLC and the Freedom have already embarked on planning to build a world class home for the team in the Washington, DC, region.

The team has partnered with George Mason University (Mason) to study the feasibility of a new multi-purpose cricket and baseball facility. The ballpark would be designed to host MLC matches, Mason baseball games, and other events on the University’s Fairfax Campus in the Washington, DC, region. With a goal to be operational by 2025, the ballpark at Mason would be located in the heart of one of the largest cricket-loving populations in the United States and feature an international-grade arena for the Freedom to call their home.

More information on these plans will be announced following the conclusion of the feasibility study later this year, MLC release said."

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

"The Freedom has partnered with one of the world’s leading cricket entities, Australia’s Cricket New South Wales, to lead preparation of the player roster and provide high performance services including coaching, sports science and sports medicine, performance analysis and team operations, the release said.

While the Freedom will not host any home matches in the 2023 season, MLC and the Freedom have already embarked on planning to build a world class home for the team in the Washington, DC, region.

The team has partnered with George Mason University (Mason) to study the feasibility of a new multi-purpose cricket and baseball facility. The ballpark would be designed to host MLC matches, Mason baseball games, and other events on the University’s Fairfax Campus in the Washington, DC, region. With a goal to be operational by 2025, the ballpark at Mason would be located in the heart of one of the largest cricket-loving populations in the United States and feature an international-grade arena for the Freedom to call their home.

More information on these plans will be announced following the conclusion of the feasibility study later this year, MLC release said."
Does a 120 yard long by 53 1/3 yard wide rectangle fit within a standard cricket field? Just wondering...

Old Man

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Can go up to 400 feet. Averages a lot closer to 300 though.
And the ball can go in a 360 degree space, so the equivalent of a pitchers mound, the wickets I believe, is in the center of the field instead of placed in a corner like a baseball field. So, imagine needing a center field in two directions to accommodate hitting.

bravesfan

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
And the ball can go in a 360 degree space, so the equivalent of a pitchers mound, the wickets I believe, is in the center of the field instead of placed in a corner like a baseball field. So, imagine needing a center field in two directions to accommodate hitting.

Yup! Took me a bit to understand that a "foul ball" (to me) was a "sixer" in cricket, but can't deny that it was damn fun to watch!

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Oh boy - now I am going to sound like the wife when we watch football and I have explain to her what "downs" mean every season for the 28 years we have been married.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
If anyone is interested in learning more about Major League Cricket, Joe Pompliano (Sports Business Insider/Reporter), released a podcast on the topic.

View: https://twitter.com/JoePompliano/status/1691122737933176834?s=20

According to a report he cites, there are over 60 million people in the United States who have shown an interest in/engage with cricket annually. This trails only India and China. The inaugural season also drew over 70k spectators across the matches held in TX and NC - all matches were near or at capacity. Not bad for a first go at it.

There should be a lot of potential for this to be successful in the DC market, will be an interesting follow moving forward.

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"George Mason University has been named by the ICC as one of the potential venues to host international training and warm-up matches ahead of the 2024 T20 World Cup.

The competition will be jointly hosted by the Caribbean and the USA and will be the first major international cricket tournament to be held in America in a huge step forward for the sport in the nation. T
he three grounds that have been named as hosts for the main fixtures Grand Prairie Stadium (where MLC was based), Broward County in Florida and Nassau County in New York.

At Washington Freedom we are proud that the ICC has recognised the quality of the facilities on offer at George Mason University as we look forward to making GMU our home from the 2025 season. During the inaugural edition of Major League Cricket, we welcomed officials from GMU where we officially launched our partnership."

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
IMG_4038.jpeg

LaSalle just announced a major renovation to their arena, screenshot attached from the announcement. Opening Fall 2024.

Some more pics here: https://goexplorers.com/feature/ArenaRenovation

I didn’t feel like watching the rest of the announcement so don’t have details on cost/funding, capacity, amenities, etc. but I’m sure they’ll put out an official release if they haven’t already.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Definitely showing "hey we are trying!" to the A10.

I hate the current arena. Total high school gym. Only good things were that the parking was 5 feet from the door and the bathroom wasn't far from the seats and practically in the arena.

Maybe they'll upgrade the popcorn @gmubrian