Exhibition Game, Nov 8th, 4 PM against Shenadoah Univ.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Edwards I believe battling a concussion (doesn't sound too serious), Holloway I hear will be good to go Friday (maybe a warning of sorts today) and mayimba I have no idea.

I was hoping that the Patriots could go the entire season without any disciplinary problems.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I was hoping that the Patriots could go the entire season without any disciplinary problems.

I don't think anybody here didn't skip a class here or there when we were in college, so I wouldn't read too much into it. These kids are just held to a different standard than we were. Hopefully, he'll learn from it and it won't happen again.

wijg

Starter
I don't think anybody here didn't skip a class here or there when we were in college, so I wouldn't read too much into it. These kids are just held to a different standard than we were. Hopefully, he'll learn from it and it won't happen again.
I get your point, but, my tuition was coming out of my pocket, so I didn't skip a single class. I was not about to waste my money. I was pissed when professors showed up late, or not at all.

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm sure we all did, but this doesn't overly concern me and I like the way Hewitt makes it known that no one will be treated special or get a free pass. At GMU skipping a class is apparently equal to stealing iphones at other schools. I'm ok with that.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
The Patriots were 2-8 behind the arc tonight, so let's hope that any issue involving Patrick is resolved before the opener.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
The Patriots were 2-8 behind the arc tonight, so let's hope that any issue involving Patrick is resolved before the opener.

Gray's shot looked nice tonight, the ball just didn't go in. Happens sometimes.

If he can play enough D to stay on the court, he and Holloway are gonna make a bunch of 3s this season.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Gray's shot looked nice tonight, the ball just didn't go in. Happens sometimes.

If he can play enough D to stay on the court, he and Holloway are gonna make a bunch of 3s this season.

Hope so, was a 40% shooter from behind the arc as a freshman. Hopefully Paul Ball doesn't waste this shooter's talent the way he did another Vaughn.

Interesting stat, had about 20% more minutes his freshman year than his Sophomore & Junior years combined.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Hope so, was a 40% shooter from behind the arc as a freshman. Hopefully Paul Ball doesn't waste this shooter's talent the way he did another Vaughn.

Interesting stat, had about 20% more minutes his freshman year than his Sophomore & Junior years combined.

I don't believe that it's fair to say that Hewitt wasted Vertrail Vaughns' talent. Vertrail earned the starting position his sophomore season (2011-12) and was shooting great until he injured his wrist. After that, IMO, he was never as reliable a shooter (particularly behind the arc) at either Mason or North Texas (where he also lost his starting position).

As for Vaughn Gray, I don't understand why he lost his position in the rotation last season. But, it certainly appears to me that Hewitt needs him this season. So, let's see what happens.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
While the offense looked good and the players played hard, the most impressive to me doesn't show up in the box score. Vaughn Gray dove for a loose ball. He didn't reach for it, he legitimately dove. We were up by a ton at the time and the game wasn't in doubt, but he did it anyways. That says a lot about hustle and heart.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
While the offense looked good and the players played hard, the most impressive to me doesn't show up in the box score. Vaughn Gray dove for a loose ball. He didn't reach for it, he legitimately dove. We were up by a ton at the time and the game wasn't in doubt, but he did it anyways. That says a lot about hustle and heart.

I agree! You had to like the effort of both seniors who played last night (Copes and Gray). The question in my mind is how effective these Patriots will be vs. zones deployed by good D-I teams?

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Tom thanks for your post. On the technical basketball stuff I usually look for your balanced review. Will not complain about a win - any win. Looking forward to the next game.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
So after last nights game who do you guys think the starting line up should be? Excluding Mayimba at this point.

IMO, the starters should include Copes, Jenkins, Holloway, and Moore. As for the 5th starter, how effective will the Patriots be with Royal at the "4" and Jenkins at the "3" (they didn't play much together last night which I was hoping to see)? If Jenkins starts at the "4", do you start Marko or Gray at the "3"?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
IMO, the starters should include Copes, Jenkins, Holloway, and Moore. As for the 5th starter, how effective will the Patriots be with Royal at the "4" and Jenkins at the "3" (they didn't play much together last night which I was hoping to see)? If Jenkins starts at the "4", do you start Marko or Gray at the "3"?

Having not even seen the exhibition, I like Gray at the 3. I'm not sure it's a good idea to have Marko trying to guard out on the perimeter against D1 opponents, even in a zone. I could be wrong and Marko has really worked on his lateral quickness, but I see that as a free path into the paint for whoever is on his side.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
anyone selling one ticket to the home opener? or know of anyone who might be? I'm thinking about making the drive down from NYC.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
If we switched up the offense, best news iv heard in 3 years. If true, props to Hewitt. 23 assists? Lets keep that # going!

psyclone

Hall of Famer
As for Vaughn Gray, I don't understand why he lost his position in the rotation last season. But, it certainly appears to me that Hewitt needs him this season. So, let's see what happens.

Note that Gray was only second to Moore in minutes played last night, albeit without Holloway and Edwards in the lineup. Indeed he earned his time with hustle and assists--actually had more assists than Moore--and did well keeping the ball moving.

G M U

Starter
Hewitt played around with a big lineup at one point; Marko played the 2. We had 3PFs, C, PG on the court at once. They were effective on both ends of the court.