Enjoy The Ride Thread

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
George Mason is currently sitting alone in first place at 7-1 in the Atlantic 10; a position the program has never before been in.

If my assumptions are correct, the last time we sat alone in first place would have been Jan. 28th 2012; Hewitt's first year taking over for a Mason squad that returned four out of five starters including a future CAA POY from a squad that knocked Villanova out of the tournament and finished the year ranked in the Top 25.

I don't know how this will end. We could get rolled by vcu Saturday and that starts a losing streak that puts us below .500 for the season. For now, though, I'm going to enjoy something I haven't been able to in a long, long time.

For you f*ckers that want to piss, whine, and moan about this-or-that player or why the team wasn't playing like this sooner, go do that in one the many, many overreaction threads. This one is reserved for those fans who don't take joy from wallowing in misery.

MasonCrew

Starter
It feels good again. Still lots of improvements to make, but anyone doubting the direction of this program is either trolling or genuinely stupid.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
The team is heading in the right direction and we are getting contributions off the bench — from everyone.

Considering where we were with the virus - I am very happy.

If anyone is feeling like something is wrong - go peruse the Richmond or GW boards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GMUSig03

All-Conference
All 5 starters returning, plus superstar Reuter, Otis preseason POY candidate = top 4 expectations.

Lose 2 starters, Reuter is solid but not a superstar, Otis has worse season of career offensively/TO wise = sole possession of first place nearly half way through the conference schedule o_O

Petey Buckets

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I admit I was fully entrenched in the doom and gloom. One thing I'm surprised by compared to earlier this season is how quickly I did a 180 on our recruits. With Miller redshirting and JDS looking lost, I was wondering what the hell the future held. Now Miller looks like he has all-conference potential, JDS is drilling 24 footers, and Hartwell is giving us important minutes in place of Otis.

In many other contexts this is a creepy statement, but I love watching freshmen develop. I pledge to enjoy the ride.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Ever since the jmu game that I saw in person I saw something different about this team. They play with an edge and intensity that is very enjoyable and makes me proud to support them, even if they fall a little short.

I am beyond excited for this ride, I don’t know what February holds or even March. It could end disappointing but it’s very safe to say the future is bright and the culture of winning and working hard to improve continues to evolve in the right direction.

But for the first time in years there’s an aura around the program for expectations to win, win big, and potentially take the whole league. That is AWESOME.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Good thread, QD. It's nice to attend a home game in January that actually has some significance to it. I don't recall having that feeling in at least six or seven years.

Although we aren't playing for an at-large bid, every game moving forward still matters in terms of a better seed and bye in Brooklyn — not to mention trying to lock up the NIT autobid by winning the league title. Hopefully, we won't need that, but it's nice to have in our hip pocket just in case.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
I admit I was fully entrenched in the doom and gloom. One thing I'm surprised by compared to earlier this season is how quickly I did a 180 on our recruits. With Miller redshirting and JDS looking lost, I was wondering what the hell the future held. Now Miller looks like he has all-conference potential, JDS is drilling 24 footers, and Hartwell is giving us important minutes in place of Otis.

In many other contexts this is a creepy statement, but I love watching freshmen develop. I pledge to enjoy the ride.

I have questioned our staff's recruiting, but this year has shown that they have a system in place and it seems to be working well. I just can't see how some of these guys are only getting the offers that they are getting, but they show up and can play to the level they are playing. Either our staff can see things that a lot of other coaches can't, or we are highly skilled at developing players faster than most programs (or both).

I thought Kier was an average to maybe above average A10 player. I did not see this year coming. I was surprised that Greg even got an A10 offer looking at his stats in high school. He has surpassed my expectations. My only question now is what is the ceiling? Is this as good as it gets? Can we get even better? Can't wait to find out!

smccart5

Starter
Its bizarre that we returned 100% of our scoring, but in many ways this was a totally different team coming into this year. Can't underestimate the impact of a new center, and multiple soph's who are now developed and expecting to be contributors. Then we lose multiple starters, and Grayer almost immediately.

Now we're in a position of #1 and we again RETURN EVERYONE except 1 player (barring any transfers). Meaning that we are really building a program that can have sustained success. And all I ask is that we are highly competitive every year, and make a splash every few years.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
and Hartwell is giving us important minutes in place of Otis
Hartwell is very much under appreciated, IMO. We've not had a true PG that could let Otis rest and he is quick enough to play good D against the opposing PG. Most importantly for me, we don't have to put Kier at the PG when Otis is out and I think that has made a huge difference in Kier's performance.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I'm most excited by how we've played on the road. A lot of teams can come out and pummel people with a great home crowd and some home cookin' from officials. But it takes a mentally strong group of guys to go on the road in conference and win 4 in a row. Our guys are tough minded and it has really shown up on the defensive end in the past 10-12 games.

GMU_DCU

All-Conference
All 5 starters returning, plus superstar Reuter, Otis preseason POY candidate = top 4 expectations.

Lose 2 starters, Reuter is solid but not a superstar, Otis has worse season of career offensively/TO wise = sole possession of first place nearly half way through the conference schedule o_O
Trust the Process obviously..

GMU_DCU

All-Conference
It's great to see that everyone has the same swag about them every game. It's even better to see ALL the players smiling during the game. We got something cookn!
Yep, the smiling was definitely missing at the beginning of the year, definitely something I noticed. Things seemed to change when Kier stepped up and took some of the load off of Otis.

phoenix-arizona

All-American
I wasn't really paying attention until the spring of 1999, but didn't that season start off slow in non conference play, and then GMU caught fire around January to run to the CAA title? This season is sort of shaping up to remind me of that year.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
All I remember that year was sweeping odu in reg season and a 3rd time in caa title game. After game Jeff Capel III was on a Marriott pay phone begging his gf not to leave him. Was 2nd year for OCM. Then Cincy waxed us in 1st round.