Dave Paulsen

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Instead of trying to make a case against our third center, why not tell me why he should be playing minutes over Kier or Boyd? Because trying to convince me Abram will be effective in the low post is silly.
He shouldn't be trying to play minutes over Boyd or Kier on the wing. But it is tough to watch playing a four guard lineup with Newman having to sometimes guard a guy 3 inches taller and 50 lbs more muscle so maybe he could help when that mismatch occurs.

I think we can all agree that when Jalen comes out and Relvao and most of the time Temara come in we look extremely shitty and their big men destroy us. Instead of that happening every game like it has been (not Jalen's fault fouls happen) maybe we try something different than something that we know doesn't work. I have just never seen Deandre play as bad as Relvao does every single time he touches the floor

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
DP sounded so relieved early in the season when he said he no longer had to coach effort and could now focus on execution. My impression was that maybe there were a few players that were still behind the curve on understanding we would play harder than our opponents every time out, and thus those players were dropped from the rotation.

Deandre is long and might block a few shots for us, but there's very little that makes me think he'd be a help guarding the low post. He does seem like a great kid, I love that he hasn't sulked or been a distraction on the bench, but I also am going to trust the coaches who are with him every day to know whether or not he should be seeing court time.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
MasonJoe,

Can you honestly say that Daniel Relvao who plays sparingly is that much better at guarding bigs than Deandre (in a small sample size last year)? Relvao is almost Danny Dixon bad. He can't make a layup and he is so slow that if the opposing team has a big that has any (and I mean any) footwork that he either fouls them or they score a layup. I am all about giving chances but Relvao sucks. I love your support for Paulsen, but what exactly has Relvao done in games that proves he deserves 10 mins over someone like Deandre or Danny Dixon. "Well Relvao is big" Yes, he is big but he is slower than 340lb Holloway from UMass. Ian Boyd does a better job against centers than Relvao and he is 5 inches shorter and weighs 50 lbs less. When Jalen is out we suck (75% of the time) why not try something different than put in Relvao who has to have the lowest plus/minus in Mason history.
I wish I could like this post a million times.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
He shouldn't be trying to play minutes over Boyd or Kier on the wing. But it is tough to watch playing a four guard lineup with Newman having to sometimes guard a guy 3 inches taller and 50 lbs more muscle so maybe he could help when that mismatch occurs.

I think we can all agree that when Jalen comes out and Relvao and most of the time Temara come in we look extremely shitty and their big men destroy us. Instead of that happening every game like it has been (not Jalen's fault fouls happen) maybe we try something different than something that we know doesn't work. I have just never seen Deandre play as bad as Relvao does every single time he touches the floor

So, again, when we go 5 guards, the floor is going to be Otis, Moore, Grayer, Kier, Boyd (unless something happens like Grayer fouling out). Would you care to tell me which one of those players you want to take off the floor so Abram can be on it?

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
He has 7 career assists, no that is not a typo. 1 assist for every 105 minutes played....26 turnovers in those minutes as well so his TO/Assist ratio is pretty poor.

Wow! It's only January 27th and already have a leading candidate for the 2017 Understatement of the Year winner.

Nice research and well-done sir.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
So, again, when we go 5 guards, the floor is going to be Otis, Moore, Grayer, Kier, Boyd (unless something happens like Grayer fouling out). Would you care to tell me which one of those players you want to take off the floor so Abram can be on it?
Because nobody over 6 foot 5 on the court really works so well for us that we should be going with that lineup?!?! My final point: A skinny, stringbean 6ft8 Deandre Abrams would be better to have on the court than Daniel Relvao at any point he is picked to be on the court. None of your bs statements trying to make me pick Abrams over Kier or Boyd. I have already said I wouldn't and I am pretty sure no Mason fan would. In what world is a 6'8" wing a guard?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Because nobody over 6 foot 5 on the court really works so well for us that we should be going with that lineup?!?! My final point: A skinny, stringbean 6ft8 Deandre Abrams would be better to have on the court than Daniel Relvao at any point he is picked to be on the court. None of your bs statements trying to make me pick Abrams over Kier or Boyd. I have already said I wouldn't and I am pretty sure no Mason fan would. In what world is a 6'8" wing a guard?

In what universe is a string bean 6'7 wing who struggles to guard other wings, a low post player? You do realize what you're asking right? You're asking to give Relvao's whopping 2-5 minutes per game playing center over to Abram. Jenkins sometimes gets pushed around by some of these other bigs, and you want a guy who isn't even 200 pounds going out there to mix it up down low?

Boyd gives up size, but he's insanely strong and doesn't just get pushed around in the paint like Abram does. So, please, again, tell me why you think putting Abram at center is a winning strategy?

If you are making the argument that when we are getting beat at the 4 because of our length, we might give Abram a shot, I might agree with you, but Relvao isn't being put in there to play the 4. If you are making the argument that all minutes that aren't given to Jenkins should go to Temara, I might also agree with you. But right now, you are making no sense.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
It's not about picking Abram Over anther guard it's about Abram over TROY AND RELVAO.

And I'm not calling this to be a perminate. But why not give it a shot. If it doesn't work. It doesn't work.

our team is garbage when Relvao and Troy are in the game so just try something different.

Last edited:

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
It's not about picking Abram Over anther guard it's about Abram over TROY AND RELVAO.

And I'm not calling this to be a perminate. But why not give it a shot. If it doesn't work. It doesn't work.

our team is garbage when Relvao and Troy are I. The game so just try something different.

You know, maybe it's because TJ Cline and Taylor Cavanaugh are, like, really good players? Our loss to St. Louis was from the 4 position -- Johnson and Agbeko both play the 4 -- so Temara and Relvao wouldn't even be guarding those two guys.

But, yeah, let's just permanently bench our backup centers so they have almost no game experience going into next year to see if Abram can become a low post player.

Let's also remember why Abram was benched. He plays out of position defense. He doesn't box out very well. He doesn't share the ball (doubling him in the post would be probably an easy turnover).

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
All this talk about giving up guys experience is bs. You play to win. If Troy or Revao are the best players then fine. But you don't play them to give them experience. That's what garbage time is for.

Last edited:

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Well, Abram started at the 4 for the first four games of the season and we went 1-3. After being absolutely humiliated by Houston, Paulsen made a change and we went 9-0.

Abram started just 1 game this season: the season opener vs. Towson. He was benched for the LVC game, and was in the rotation for Mount St. Mary's and Houston.

If Coach Paulsen doesn't believe DeAndre can help, then I have no problem with excluding him from the rotation. But, I would like someone to ask about his status at a postgame presser.

Patriotfan49

Starter
Watching Temara and Relvao are like watching a worse version of Chris Fleming out there. Troy is worth seeing if he develops eventually but Im ready to permanently sit Relvao, like forever. They both strike me as clearly the tallest HS player but actually have very little skill when it comes to playing.

I get the clamoring for why not play Abrams, but its likely he would just be snapped in half in the low post.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Give Abram a "try"? Are you both 12?

I think I'll trust the proven Coach, instead of 2 schmucks on this message board.

Obviously Paulsen's game plan didn't work, we lost by 19. I cant wait until he Paulsen watches film and we actually play Abram at the 4 next time we play GW. Will I be crazy then?

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Obviously Paulsen's game plan didn't work, we lost by 19. I cant wait until he Paulsen watches film and we actually play Abram at the 4 next time we play GW. Will I be crazy then?
Start holding your breath now...

I think it's clear that Abram will not see the floor for any meaningful action unless an injury occurs.