Court ruling - 2 time transfer eligibility

FreeGunston12

All-American
"In addition to enjoining the NCAA form enforcing its year-of-residence rule for multi-time transfers, Bailey also did the same for the NCAA rule of restitution.

That means schools can't be punished for playing impacted players over the next 14 days, even if the ruling is overturned."

https://richmond.com/sports/college...cle_79964aa0-99df-11ee-9e02-877574083082.html

I would assume that would also mean players wouldn't lose eligibility for playing during this time if the ruling is ultimately overturned. Looks like we may be seeing some Jalen Haynes!

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Honestly, I am a fan of the 1 free transfer rule. 2nd free transfer if you are a graduate. If there’s a circumstance like Woody that’s fine, but those are going to have to be approved/denied by someone, and sometimes those are going to get favorable rulings.

Not really interested in a free transfer anytime rule.

NewPatriot

Starter
vcu is getting Joe Bamisile back for Temple and Mason will be getting Jalen Haynes back in accordance with ruling for 2 weeks until the appeal two weeks from today.

Pablo

Hall of Famer

Statement of WVU Athletics​

By Michael Fragale
December 13, 2023 05:03 PM

Statement From WVU Athletics:

We are aware of the ruling today handed down by Judge John P. Bailey of the United States District Court for Northern West Virginia. We are consulting with WVU's General Counsel along with outside counsel prior to making a determination on the eligibility status of any of our student-athletes. We will discuss this with our student-athletes to make the best decision possible taking into consideration the potential consequences of our decision.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
vcu is getting Joe Bamisile back for Temple and Mason will be getting Jalen Haynes back in accordance with ruling for 2 weeks until the appeal two weeks from today.

While this is probably true, IMO this should not be an automatic decision based on a court ruling. I believe that each case should be assessed from both an academic and athletic standpoint. Most importantly IMO, is whether the player is making sufficient progress towards earning a degree.

In Jalen Haynes' case, he's at his third school in his third school year. Hopefully, he hasn't had an issue in transferring credits earned at VT and ETSU and is making sufficient progress towards earning a degree.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
If the transfer rule is seen as a violation of federal antitrust law, couldn't they say the 4 year eligibility rule is also? Especially when all this ends up in revenue sharing and kids are deemed employees.

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Total unchecked free agency would be the death of college sports … hopefully somebody comes up with a solution that works for all sides.

They're hired guns, Jim. Always have been. I don't think unchecked free agency ruins college sports at all. Just means your team turns over more often than in the past. With two (2) exceptions, our team is brand new and we're thrilled!

Some of the most successful hoops programs like Duke and Kentucky bring in a new crew every year and the fans (and networks) don't blink. We're no different. Same attendance, whether it's KE's team or Tony's.

Coach Skinn can lament this new development but it may play to his strength, judging from the quality of the transfers he's brought in.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
They're hired guns, Jim. Always have been. I don't think unchecked free agency ruins college sports at all. Just means your team turns over more often than in the past. With two (2) exceptions, our team is brand new and we're thrilled!

Some of the most successful hoops programs like Duke and Kentucky bring in a new crew every year and the fans (and networks) don't blink. We're no different. Same attendance, whether it's KE's team or Tony's.

Coach Skinn can lament this new development but it may play to his strength, judging from the quality of the transfers he's brought in.

It’s going to go the other way anyway…my guess is there will be absolutely no waivers for multiple transfers going forward, doesn’t matter the reason. That will get around the pesky “arbitrary” rules that courts don’t like.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
It’s going to go the other way anyway…my guess is there will be absolutely no waivers for multiple transfers going forward, doesn’t matter the reason. That will get around the pesky “arbitrary” rules that courts don’t like.
Not an attorney by any means, but those I follow on social seem convinced that the only way for the NCAA to get around antitrust issues is to make the players employees of their respective schools and then collectively bargain their labor contracts.

That conceivably could enable programs to offer everything from 1- to 4-year guaranteed deals with increasing salaries. Then both sides are locked in under the mutually agreed terms — no more unlimited transfers, but also no more running players off for poor performance.

Interesting times, for sure.