Countdown to the End of the Coach Hewitt Era

Pablo

Hall of Famer
I assume that Mason will:

(1) Win no more than 1 game in the 2015 A10 tourney; and

(2) Fire Paul Hewitt immediately after its defeat in the tourney if not sooner.

If so, then there will be no more than 14 games remaining in the Coach Hewitt era.

The situation was explained to me by an insider before the game. I heard this similar scenario from someone outside Mason as well who follows the A-10 closely, recently, so I'm guessing it holds water.

HEWITT CRITERIA TO SURVIVE BY CHRISTOPHER JOLLAY

We are 6-12, 1-5, 12 games left plus the tourney. The only way (well, 98%) Hewitt survives is:

1. Significant improvement shown as the season progresses (mandatory). Even a win streak right now of 6-8 games would not save Hewitt if the season ends on a losing streak, also. I'm talking team-wise and with some individuals as well.

AND, EITHER

2A. A .500 finish or better in the A-10 plus one win in the second round of the A-10 tourney. (Remember, 10-14 play in the first round this year)

2B. A helluva run through the tourney. What a "helluva" run is depends on seed, but it means at least the semi-finals perhaps even the finals of the tourney.

Take it for what it's worth. Something could change this calculus but I was told this is pretty much it.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
The situation was explained to me by an insider before the game. I heard this similar scenario from someone outside Mason as well who follows the A-10 closely, recently, so I'm guessing it holds water.

HEWITT CRITERIA TO SURVIVE BY CHRISTOPHER JOLLAY

We are 6-12, 1-5, 12 games left plus the tourney. The only way (well, 98%) Hewitt survives is:

1. Significant improvement shown as the season progresses (mandatory). Even a win streak right now of 6-8 games would not save Hewitt if the season ends on a losing streak, also. I'm talking team-wise and with some individuals as well.

AND, EITHER

2A. A .500 finish or better in the A-10 plus one win in the second round of the A-10 tourney. (Remember, 10-14 play in the first round this year)

2B. A helluva run through the tourney. What a "helluva" run is depends on seed, but it means at least the semi-finals perhaps even the finals of the tourney.

Take it for what it's worth. Something could change this calculus but I was told this is pretty much it.

Good to know because none of those things have a prayer of happening.

He gone.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I believe the WP article sealed Hewitt's fate. He is gone before March 1 unless he agrees to forgo the bonus in order to play in a10 tourney.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
[QUOTE="CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY, post: 31219, member: 174"

[/QUOTE]

Would this imply that should we not have said win streak by the end of February we could can him to save the longevity bonus? Only 1 game left after that and if we go 2-10 over the next 12 games it would make sense.

I should also
[QUOTE="CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY, post: 31219, member: 174"

Would this imply that should we not have said win streak by the end of February we could can him to save the longevity bonus? Only 1 game left after that and if we go 2-10 over the next 12 games it would make sense.[/QUOTE]

Sorry! Don't know!

I just heard criteria based on end of season results. In my opinion, that would seem to indicate Hewitt will get through the tournament.

But if the results are bad with no improvement leading up till March 1st (ie the first criteria has not been met) I don't see why he couldn't be canned early, though.

Team does finish near .500 in the A-10, I would bet it's a strong likelihood he gets the tourney.

Patriotfan49

Starter
Hewitts only way he can survive is...........nothing.

I dont care if he goes to the freaking National Championship game, he is not good for us, hasnt been since he got here and we need to move on.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Hewitts only way he can survive is...........nothing.

I dont care if he goes to the freaking National Championship game, he is not good for us, hasnt been since he got here and we need to move on.

I'd probably be willing to go another year if he did that. Short of upsetting Kentucky though, not much else.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
With the overtime loss to Davidson, Coach Hewitt's conference record (CAA/A10) at Mason is 29-29 (5-17 in the A10).

Last edited: