Countdown to the End of the Coach Hewitt Era

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
"A lot of circumstances didn't allow me and my staff to win enough games."

Wow!

It's interesting when you compare Paul Westhead with Paul Hewitt. Westhead said that he needed just a little more time until his system proved successful. Hewitt says that the problem is just execution, and it's just a matter of time before the team is successful.

In neither case, did it appear there was/is any sense of urgency. In neither case, did there appear to be any substantive effort to modify the system to be successful quickly. And, in neither case, was/is there any reason for the school and fans to continue their support for a failing coach.

During Westhead's 4th season, I decided not to renew my season tickets if Westhead was retained for a 5th season. The school did the right thing by firing him. And, I will not renew my season tickets for a 5th season of Paul Hewitt.

wijg

Starter
So, I go back and forth on the question of whether Hewitt will be back next year or not (100% I want him gone, but will the school actually do it). One day I am confident that there is no way they bring him back. Then the next, usually after a quote by Cabrera, I begin to doubt the certainty of it.

What do you guys think are the odds of Hewitt being the coach of Mason men's basketball next season?

KAOriginal

All-American
So, I go back and forth on the question of whether Hewitt will be back next year or not (100% I want him gone, but will the school actually do it). One day I am confident that there is no way they bring him back. Then the next, usually after a quote by Cabrera, I begin to doubt the certainty of it.

What do you guys think are the odds of Hewitt being the coach of Mason men's basketball next season?

50/50

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Fire Paul Hewitt retweeted
A10Talk.com @A10Talk · Jan 24
FWIW, someone who I respect on this subject told me they think Hewitt will be gone in February. Not sure why Feb, but just what I heard.

We all have an opinion on this. But, I doubt that the guy who can make it happen (i.e., President Cabrera) is talking.

BTW, if someone is tweeting about a possible firing in February, at least learn the relevance of this month.

Last edited:

wijg

Starter
I forgot the followup question:
If you think there is a chance he is back next year, what are the contract circumstances?
-Do they play the JMU-style Russian roulette and just let him ride out his contract (with the negative recruiting implications), or
-Do they give him some sort of extension?

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I will go even further
About the same feel I have. I was going to say 40-50% he is back.

I give him a 10% chance of coming back next year which is about the same chance we have of winning the A10 tournament.

wijg

Starter
I will go even further

I give him a 10% chance of coming back next year which is about the same chance we have of winning the A10 tournament.
Wow, you have much higher hopes for the tournament than me. I would expect the top 4 to be about 75% chance at winning the tourney. That leaves 25% for the rest to split, and we are not near the top of the remaining 10 teams. Now, if you meant 1% chance at winning the tourney, then I would say you are within 1% of my guess at our chances at winning the tourney.

wijg

Starter
So I was just using my iPhone with Siri, you know, the voice activated assistant that has a lot of knowledge, but never seems to get it right. I have decided to start calling it Hewitt instead

If I understand it correctly he will be done barring great late-season improvement.

However I would never say done deal, especially with Mason. There are wildcard political and financial considerations.

85% Gone. 10% Wildcard stay 5% plays himself into a year 5

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Wow, you have much higher hopes for the tournament than me. I would expect the top 4 to be about 75% chance at winning the tourney. That leaves 25% for the rest to split, and we are not near the top of the remaining 10 teams. Now, if you meant 1% chance at winning the tourney, then I would say you are within 1% of my guess at our chances at winning the tourney.
Yeah, that is what I meant. 1% ;)

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Would you want us in the media selling this crap product?

wijg

Starter
So, I stated earlier that I go back and forth about whether I think Hewitt will be replaced at the end of the season. After listening to the audio snippet above, with some guys that are looking at it from the outside analyzing the situation, and aren't clouded by being fans of Mason in particular, it gives me hope that he will be replaced.

I just wish we got a quote from BE or AC that gave me more confidence. Something along the lines of "It would be inappropriate for me to comment publicly on a personnel matter".