Breaking News - Lombardi to High Point

OP
GMURaider

GMURaider

Sixth Man
I hate to play Johnny Rain Cloud, but our recruiting has been "ok" at best. We're getting good players, but then again so is every other team, so it's a wash. It's not like we're getting guys who turned down North Carolina and Indiana to come to our school (cough cough that "black and yellow" art school 2 hours below us).
Why do you think L didn't get the type of guys post 06 that Shaka is getting post 11?

gmu05

Starter
Hypothetically let's say he gets us to the NIT in 2015. Is a 2 year extension till 2018 with the understanding that we expect an NCAA bid and preferably a win in that 3 year window(16,17,18) unreasonable ?

You can play the "let's say he makes the NIT" game all you want but that thought is based on nothing more than you being a blind homer. What are you reasons for thinking this squad is better than last year's, which had seniors in the starting lineup?

gmu05

Starter
Why do you think L didn't get the type of guys post 06 that Shaka is getting post 11?

Youth, charisma, style of play that looks fun to be a part of, a school that heavily backs their coach, a team with a real identity, continued success, a team and program that looks on the rise....

OP
GMURaider

GMURaider

Sixth Man
Youth, charisma, style of play that looks fun to be a part of, a school that heavily backs their coach, a team with a real identity, continued success, a team and program that looks on the rise....
So you think our 2006-2007 season hurt us?

OP
GMURaider

GMURaider

Sixth Man
You can play the "let's say he makes the NIT" game all you want but that thought is based on nothing more than you being a blind homer. What are you reasons for thinking this squad is better than last year's, which had seniors in the starting lineup?
It's not like those Seniors showed leadership and elevated the team did they? How did they do up @ Iona for example? We will have more height which will increase our advantage in the low post and on the boards.

OP
GMURaider

GMURaider

Sixth Man
If we cut down on turn overs and take pride in rebounding and low post play I think that will lead to more home wins.:cigar:

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

We've been over this a million times, and it's all speculation anyhow.

Can't we just agree that there were many different reasons why we failed to capitalize on 2006 and leave it at that?

I know I've been as guilty as anyone of second-guessing TOC, but we have no chance to move our program forward if we can't stop staring in the rear-view mirror.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I think there is some truth in that we failed to make it to the big dance in the year after the Final Four and that slowed the momentum. However, I think we were set up for a big year after the 2011 tournament where Larranaga could make the claim that we were not a fluke. He would have been able to claim that we have now advanced twice in the tournament AND I now have a Top 25 team. Where we got sidetracked is O'Connor and Merten didn't recognize the opportunity that the 2012 team presented and refused to show a little appreciation. AND THEN OCONNOR HIRED A FIRED RETREAD COACH AND OVERPAID FOR HIM. And we are where we are. I am afraid we will be boring our grandchildren with stories about what could have been.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
This place would be so much less hostile if everybody just put Raider on ignore. Although I do admire his passion as a fan, his rose-colored outlook just stirs up the rest of us who are more realistic about where we are as a program.

I am admittedly a lot more patient that some folks here — I actually really like some of the new players we have — but anybody who thinks this team is going to the NCAA or NIT tournaments is fooling themselves.

OP
GMURaider

GMURaider

Sixth Man
This place would be so much less hostile if everybody just put Raider on ignore. Although I do admire his passion as a fan, his rose-colored outlook just stirs up the rest of us who are more realistic about where we are as a program.

I am admittedly a lot more patient that some folks here — I actually really like some of the new players we have — but anybody who thinks this team is going to the NCAA or NIT tournaments is fooling themselves.
Group think much?

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
20080202231407!Beating-a-dead-horse.gif

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Group think much?

It's one thing to think differently, but if all you've got is hypotheticals like "maybe this group will overachieve" there is no there there.

Way too many question marks about the new players, returning players and coaches to be optimistic at this point.

OP
GMURaider

GMURaider

Sixth Man
It's one thing to think differently, but if all you've got is hypotheticals like "maybe this group will overachieve" there is no there there.

Way too many question marks about the new players, returning players and coaches to be optimistic at this point.
I guess on November 14th I'll have hard evidence to throw your way instead of hope...

OP
GMURaider

GMURaider

Sixth Man
Let's talk after the Puerto Rico Tip Off and we will see where the team is at that point.

Okay fine I promise not to thump my chest after two games.

Perhaps, I'll try to turn down the optimism down a notch.

We'll try to reach a consensus where the team is at after PR.

Patriotfan49

Starter
Okay fine I promise not to thump my chest after two games.

Perhaps, I'll try to turn down the optimism down a notch.

We'll try to reach a consensus where the team is at after PR.
What is the point of finding a consensus so early in the season? What good does that do? How about you find a consensus after the season....so you don't have to live off hypotheticals.....

At 4-0 last year, so many were ignoring the glaring obvious deficiencies and were like you all delirious and blond and thinking it wouldn't crash and burn the way it did.....