Breaking News - Lombardi to High Point

GMURaider

Sixth Man
"After 7 great years at George Mason, tomorrow will be my last day. I have accepted a job offer at High Point University to work for Coach Cherry as the Director of Basketball Operations. I look forward to this new opportunity but will always have great memories from working with so many great people at George Mason. I can't thank Coach L and Coach Hewitt enough for the opportunities that they gave me to work at such a great institution. Go Patriots! I'm pulling for you all!" - Scott's Facebook

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Paul, how could you let Scott leave like that? I cant believe High Point could give him such a great deal. Like the Raiders, ya dont know what to do with talent even if you were given a manuel. Sad day for GMU bball.

OP
GMURaider

GMURaider

Sixth Man
Paul, how could you let Scott leave like that? I cant believe High Point could give him such a great deal. Like the Raiders, ya dont know what to do with talent even if you were given a manuel. Sad day for GMU bball.

How about instead of taking potshots at members of the coaching staff you support Mason basketball!

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I support mason basketball like its my own child. And right now we are in a 3 year "timeout".

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Back to the news-
When I saw the title of the thread, I thought he had gotten an assistant coach position at High Point. I didn't think he was making a lateral move. But is that the norm? Do most Dir of Operations need to take two of those jobs before getting a coaching spot?

masonjoe

Starter
Back to the news-
When I saw the title of the thread, I thought he had gotten an assistant coach position at High Point. I didn't think he was making a lateral move. But is that the norm? Do most Dir of Operations need to take two of those jobs before getting a coaching spot?

Think about it, long term he has a shot at being an assistant with his old pal Cherry. Why stay here and be in limbo when Hewitt gets fired?

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
All the best for Scott. On another related note, Tyler Jorns who was director of player development is going to work with the Utah Jazz.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Paul, relax, you've been fired before.

OP
GMURaider

GMURaider

Sixth Man
You're expecting a lifetime contract or something?
Hypothetically let's say he gets us to the NIT in 2015. Is a 2 year extension till 2018 with the understanding that we expect an NCAA bid and preferably a win in that 3 year window(16,17,18) unreasonable ?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Hypothetically let's say he gets us to the NIT in 2015. Is a 2 year extension till 2018 with the understanding that we expect an NCAA bid and preferably a win in that 3 year window(16,17,18) unreasonable ?

No, I think an NIT bid gets Hewitt an extension, especially given the fact that he and the staff are recruiting well (seemingly) and we've moved up into perhaps the best basketball-focused league in the nation.

Anything less and he's gone, IMHO.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
I hate to play Johnny Rain Cloud, but our recruiting has been "ok" at best. We're getting good players, but then again so is every other team, so it's a wash. It's not like we're getting guys who turned down North Carolina and Indiana to come to our school (cough cough that "black and yellow" art school 2 hours below us).

Dawgs99

Starter
vcu is out recruitng every other school in the league by a wide margin, not just us. I like the players Hewitt has brought in since the A10 move. The arguement that other schools are getting good players too, in an attempt to down play our recruiting, seems silly. Everyone knows how well vcu is doing in all facets of their BBall program, but it sure would be nice not to have to read about it on our message board all the time.