Brad Edwards resigns

bravesfan

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Just as Dr. Washington had CKE in mind when he fired Paulsen, I'm sure he already has someone in mind for this role.

Personally, I hope it's someone like Jon Jackson at Duke.

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Does anyone know the effect this will have on the Men's BBall program - from now thru April 2023?
1) Team Budget is already set
2) Need AD's to approve contracts related to future games - starting post April 2023?
3) Who represents GMU at the A-10 Conference Meetings

OP
M

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Any news on the interim AD will be?
In the press release of the resignation it mentions an interim will be named in October (I think).
Does anyone know the effect this will have on the Men's BBall program - from now thru April 2023?
1) Team Budget is already set
2) Need AD's to approve contracts related to future games - starting post April 2023?
3) Who represents GMU at the A-10 Conference Meetings
No impact and probably a deputy AD will be named interim in October

illayin

Sixth Man
Coming in a few....

HandsomeRemarkableAnura-max-1mb.gif

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
In the press release of the resignation it mentions an interim will be named in October (I think).

No impact and probably a deputy AD will be named interim in October
Like Thornton Melon was needed in Back to School..... Someone go get Jollay, delouse him and throw him up on stage. New interim AD

Remember when Edwards was hired? People thought he was starting football...LOL

As for an Interim Athletic Director, I'd look no further than Zach Bolno. Great dude.

Last edited:

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Y’all are wild. Mason could cut every single sport except mens basketball tomorrow and I wouldn’t even blink. The wrestling team is the ONLY other sport at Mason that is financially self sufficient.

I need to see some ticket stubs for some of y’all who claim to get upset over the trajectory of the womens underwater basket weaving teams trajectory.

bravesfan

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Y’all are wild. Mason could cut every single sport except mens basketball tomorrow and I wouldn’t even blink. The wrestling team is the ONLY other sport at Mason that is financially self sufficient.

I need to see some ticket stubs for some of y’all who claim to get upset over the trajectory of the womens underwater basket weaving teams trajectory.

And my man (I don't really know him) Jon Jackson was in charge of Duke's wrestling program before he took over basketball.

Dr. Washington, if you're reading this, my finder's fee is incredibly low.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

I used to watch the mens and womens soccer teams and volleyball teams when I could when I was going to school. Volleyball is an underrated spectator sport. But that’s neither here nor there: if Mason sponsors the sport at the intercollegiate level, I want us to be competitive in said sport.

OP
M

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Chances are the candidates we come up with will be nowhere close to who actually becomes a candidate.

In all seriousness, I hope the next guy comes from a basketball focused school who knows how to work at a public university. My first initial thought is go get someone from the Big East but those are private schools. Of course they also could go simple and look at a peer school in league like a vcu or Dayton.

Also, look no further than a Maryland. We already have Zack Bolno, there could be someone there who might be a good fit for a Mason and ready to make a jump without relocating.

Just like when Cabrera found Brad and it was important because it set the trajectory the last 10 years, this is an important hire for Dr W. While Cabrera let Brad do what he needed, we now have a president that loves basketball. That’s big for a school like Mason.

It’ll be interesting to see how things develop.

bravesfan

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Chances are the candidates we come up with will be nowhere close to who actually becomes a candidate.

Yeah, I'm obviously just having fun with that specific name. But I'm 100% on board with the general theme of "find the #2 at a big time program, make them the #1 at Mason."

Easier said than done, but I'm hoping that's their line of thinking. I don't want some small school AD again.

And if it is a small school AD, it's because they were previously the #2 at a freaking big time program... ;)

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023

A tangent to this, I think some are being a little harsh on Brad. From an AD stand point, 99% of the job is how the Men's basketball team and things associated with that. The other sports, while nice for them to do well, that is just icing on the cake.

If you look at the key actions Brad has taken, I think he has done a decent job. Some key things pulled form memory and it assumes he is the key player in these:
EBA sponsorship-never saw that under previous AD
Lighting improvements at EBA
Got beer served in the arena
I think some other arena improvements as well, but could be wrong on that.
He brought DP, who while I was could on the hire for the first 24 hours, seemed to be a good choice at the time.
When it became clear that DP wasn't going to work out, and it was financially doable, he got rid of DP
He hired Kim English. On paper was a homerun. Results TBD.

He wasn't perfect (he brought in DG to sit around and take a check), but, If you evaluate his decisions at the time they were made on the big items I think he did a pretty decent job. Ultimately, though, I think he was brought in for football (he said that to me at one point) and I don't think Mason is considering football any time soon, if ever. So, at this point, I think Mason and Brad's paths have diverged.

I really like him on a personal level (he is great to talk to), so, maybe that clouds my judgement.

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I didn't think Brad was horrible but not really sad that he is leaving.

I've seen an increase in AD tunrover nationally. Just guessing that the new NIL environment we are experiencing in college sports, may be having an influence in what types of ADs schools are going after.

This move may be a combination of Brad understanding that and at the same time getting an oppurtunity that was pretty attractive for him. Not everything is a conspiracy.

Last edited:

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
A tangent to this, I think some are being a little harsh on Brad. From an AD stand point, 99% of the job is how the Men's basketball team and things associated with that. The other sports, while nice for them to do well, that is just icing on the cake.

If you look at the key actions Brad has taken, I think he has done a decent job. Some key things pulled form memory and it assumes he is the key player in these:
EBA sponsorship-never saw that under previous AD
Lighting improvements at EBA
Got beer served in the arena
I think some other arena improvements as well, but could be wrong on that.
He brought DP, who while I was could on the hire for the first 24 hours, seemed to be a good choice at the time.
When it became clear that DP wasn't going to work out, and it was financially doable, he got rid of DP
He hired Kim English. On paper was a homerun. Results TBD.

He wasn't perfect (he brought in DG to sit around and take a check), but, If you evaluate his decisions at the time they were made on the big items I think he did a pretty decent job. Ultimately, though, I think he was brought in for football (he said that to me at one point) and I don't think Mason is considering football any time soon, if ever. So, at this point, I think Mason and Brad's paths have diverged.

I really like him on a personal level (he is great to talk to), so, maybe that clouds my judgement.
This is a good take. Was a lot of it low hanging fruit? Yes. But he still did it, otherwise we would be in a VERY bad place.