Brad Edwards Named New Athletic Director

Scythe

Starter
George Mason University President Ángel Cabrera announced today that Brad Edwards will become the university’s next athletic director. The former Washington Redskin will become the fifth athletic director in George Mason’s history.

“Mason has a history of success in Division I athletics, and this appointment shows we are committed to building on that tradition,” Cabrera said. “Brad Edwards is the kind of leader that exemplifies our innovative spirit, and we are proud to welcome him to Mason Nation.”

Edwards, who has served as athletic director at Jacksonville University since 2012, replaces Tom O’Connor, who announced his retirement in March after 20 years with the Patriots and 40 years in NCAA Division I athletics.
Read More: http://newsdesk.gmu.edu/2014/06/for...bowl-champion-named-masons-athletic-director/

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Merged threads, looks like I beat you by 10 seconds. :D

I'd like to see an instant replay of that posting. :cool:

I love this hire! Nice to see somebody who comes at the job from both an athletic and business standpoint. His experience in both should serve us well.

OP
Scythe

Scythe

Starter
I'd like to see an instant replay of that posting. :cool:

I love this hire! Nice to see somebody who comes at the job from both an athletic and business standpoint. His experience in both should serve us well.

Haha :) Luck of the Facebook refresh

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
From every measurable and non-measurable standpoint, this hire looks great. Doesn't guarantee success, but looks like the Prez and those involved looked for and got the best candidate they could. That's all I can ask.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
Positives are he seems to do well with fundraising and has a track record of upgrading facilities using private funds. Seems like a solid hire.

My only negatives on him are:

1) He spent 2 years at Newberry. He spent 2 years at Jacksonville. I hope he is interested in staying for the long haul and not just use this job as a stepping stone like his last two jobs.

2) No experience with a non-football school.

Other than those two things, seems like a very good hire.

sigmanorm

Starter
Positives are he seems to do well with fundraising and has a track record of upgrading facilities using private funds. Seems like a solid hire.

My only negatives on him are:

1) He spent 2 years at Newberry. He spent 2 years at Jacksonville. I hope he is interested in staying for the long haul and not just use this job as a stepping stone like his last two jobs.

2) No experience with a non-football school.

Other than those two things, seems like a very good hire.
Maybe #2 changes :)

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
F YES. Great hire. Time to tap in to his Redskins connections and start passing the collection trays to former team members and local businesses who may just happen to be Redskins fans.

The potential for this guy to grow and succeed here is limitless. I believe he is the key to opening so many new doors for us both financially and marketing/PR wise.

GMURaider

Sixth Man
The fact that he raised 3 million at an ASun school shows this guy plays to win. Imagine how much he'll raise in the cash rich DC area? I like the pick a lot.

Patriotfan49

Starter
Like this hire alot. Shame it was a skin, but I guess could have been worse and been a member of the Raiders......:crazytongue:

Perhaps he can tap in to all those ridiculous contracts and take advantage of well paid, over the hill some former Redskins got and get some projects kicked off. Adam Archuleta Dome, Deion Sanders Court, Dana Stubblefield House all sound good to me lol.....endless possibilitiessssss

In all honesty, you gotta think that the fundraising can see some big boosts now. I imagine for a guy like Edwards, throwing an alumni golf tourney and touting current/ex skins to come play or auction off stuff could add some nice potential.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I can't believe that I'm happy to have a former Redskin as our new AD, but I am.

As Tweeder noted, there are endless possibilities to what Edwards' connections can do for our athletic department.

Freaking Heath Shuler got elected to the U.S. House of Representatives three times based on his name recognition, and he was one of the worst QBs in Redskins history.

Edwards has a Super Bowl ring from the Redskins' last truly great team. As such, he's still considered a local hero. No doubt whatsoever that he'll kill it in fundraising if given free reign to do so.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Am I being unrealistic in anticipating Mason joining the Pioneer Football League, building a football stadium, and hosting the Redskins summer training camp?