Brad Edwards Named New Athletic Director

GMURaider

Sixth Man
We don't have the land. We can barely get 50% of the Patriot Center filled for Mason MBB. The students barely support the basketball team. People in this area wouldn't care about 1AA when they have the option of UMD Big 10 or VA tech games.
It would cost a decadent amount of money and endanger our A10 alliance. Do you want us in CUSA playing Tulane in front of 1000 people losing 56-3?
Am I being unrealistic in anticipating Mason joining the Pioneer Football League, building a football stadium, and hosting the Redskins summer training camp?

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Great fit for both school and Brad. He will be ours to lose going forward.

No doubt whatsoever that he'll kill it in fundraising if given free reign to do so.

Well, I'm pretty sure he has the green light to raise as much as he can. Building buildings and stuff is another matter.

Echoing everyone else...love the hire. Echo Gunnie's concerns, however, especially the stepping stone part.

But if he raises us a f### load of money, he can step to wherever he wants. He'll have earned it.

Am I being unrealistic in anticipating Mason joining the Pioneer Football League, building a football stadium, and hosting the Redskins summer training camp?

Maybe, but there's nothing wrong with putting it out there.

I don't think football would be imminent, regardless. Would have to be a good bit down the line and I'm still pretty sure it isn't in the overall vision.

If Edwards stays long haul, though, that could change.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
The only way he's gonna move on to bigger and better things is if he raises big time cash and gets some nice facilities built during his stay. The good thing is, if he does move on, I don't think he can take those things with him.

Let's start the clock on that baseball stadium.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Hell f**king yes. There were so many ways this hire could have been cocked up.

Solid move by Cabrera.

My jeans got tight and my wallet opened up.

Go Mason

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
You are wrong on one point. We have the land. Half of Masons 710 acted is undeveloped and across 123 all the way to Shirley gate.

Harry

Starter
We need Darrell Green and Art Monk to introduce Mr. Edwards to Mr. Snyder. Forget the players (NFL contracts are not MLB and NBA contracts), let's go for the guy who pays the players!

I'm excited about the possibility of football, but let's first get the basketball house in order...

GMURaider

Sixth Man
Do you want under 1,000 people in a 25,000 seat stadium watching Mason lose big to Tulane or some CUSA school? People in this area wouldn't care about non-big time football.
You are wrong on one point. We have the land. Half of Masons 710 acted is undeveloped and across 123 all the way to Shirley gate.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Do you want under 1,000 people in a 25,000 seat stadium watching Mason lose big to Tulane or some CUSA school? People in this area wouldn't care about non-big time football.

When did I say anything about a 25,000 seat stadium? I recommend building a small (but expandable) stadium.

masonjoe

Starter
When did I say anything about a 25,000 seat stadium? I recommend building a small (but expandable) stadium.

Don't conferences require a minimum seat stadium? How small could they actually make it if they were in the C-USA for example

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Don't conferences require a minimum seat stadium? How small could they actually make it if they were in the C-USA for example

I'm proposing starting up a program in the Pioneer Football League (see above), which includes A10 members Dayton & Davidson.

GMURaider

Sixth Man
People in this area don't care about small time football. Do Georgetown and Howard have strong fan support at their games? No. Are there Mason students who would continue to wear VA Tech football tshirts? Yes....
I'm proposing starting up a program in the Pioneer Football League (see above), which includes A10 members Dayton & Davidson.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Mason is in a great location to have football, Div I A too. We just need the right people in place. Brad is also in the right place at the right time.. assuming he wants to handle football. I can see a 60k seat football stadium, bball arena, practice fields and all the glitz down on ox road up to shirley gate. Merten did tell me something "spectacular" would be built there. I think it would happen if the powers that be are willing to let athletics fly on its own.

masonjoe

Starter
Mason is in a great location to have football, Div I A too. We just need the right people in place. Brad is also in the right place at the right time.. assuming he wants to handle football. I can see a 60k seat football stadium, bball arena, practice fields and all the glitz down on ox road up to shirley gate. Merten did tell me something "spectacular" would be built there. I think it would happen if the powers that be are willing to let athletics fly on its own.

Good to see you're already setting unrealistic expectations so when they aren't reached immediately you can continue to troll about how much the AD sucks. Well played.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
People in this area don't care about small time football. Do Georgetown and Howard have strong fan support at their games? No. Are there Mason students who would continue to wear VA Tech football tshirts? Yes....

And...? You have to start somewhere. A 12,000 expandable stadium and a non-scholarship FCS team isn't going to be cost that much more than our club team does now with the added bonus of being able to take a yearly beating at a BCS team for a six figure guarantee.