Baseball!

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
They just had to suspend their game against Winthrop due to darkness...maybe our more than crappy baseball infrastructure has something to do with our 0-10 start?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
How ambitious is a plan that includes "possible lighting"?

More ambitious than what we currently have? I'm not really sure why they don't add lighting. I mean, pretty much any high school field has lighting, and most municipal fields at this point do, too.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
More ambitious than what we currently have? I'm not really sure why they don't add lighting. I mean, pretty much any high school field has lighting, and most municipal fields at this point do, too.

I was told that it is due to an agreement with the homeowners association across the street not to adversely impact the residents. Perhaps, former Mason baseball player(s) like Five Two can comment on this.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I was told that it is due to an agreement with the homeowners association across the street not to adversely impact the residents. Perhaps, former Mason baseball player(s) like Five Two can comment on this.

I've heard something similar about capitulating to the neighborhood.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
We've accused SLU of stealing signs:
https://nvbaseballmag.com/news/a-10-looking-into-alleged-st-louis-sign-stealing-violations-vs-mason

Technology is here to stay so putting limits on what teams can use seems like a messy proposition. I'd let teams do whatever they want with technology. Its incumbent upon each team to protect their own signs and signals. This is no different than when a runner is on 2nd base. The catcher will use multiple signs to call a pitch and the pitcher knows the indicator to determine which signal is live. Same logic applies to the entirety of the game. Maybe I'm over simplifying it

He15man

Starter
We've accused SLU of stealing signs:
https://nvbaseballmag.com/news/a-10-looking-into-alleged-st-louis-sign-stealing-violations-vs-mason

Technology is here to stay so putting limits on what teams can use seems like a messy proposition. I'd let teams do whatever they want with technology. Its incumbent upon each team to protect their own signs and signals. This is no different than when a runner is on 2nd base. The catcher will use multiple signs to call a pitch and the pitcher knows the indicator to determine which signal is live. Same logic applies to the entirety of the game. Maybe I'm over simplifying it
I didn't play baseball at Mason... only from tee-ball through high school/American Legion. So I can't speak from experience like you can. But nonetheless, I'm with you on this. If teams are crap at protecting their signs, then you'd be an idiot to not use that to your advantage. I never had technology at my disposal, but I'd be lying if I said we didn't prey on third base coaches who only gave like 4 or 5 signs at a time and didn't mix them up well enough to hide their indicator. I was a catcher and I still remember a game in which I threw out every single person who attempted to steal because their manager couldn't have made their indicator more obvious. We knew everything they were supposed to do when it was called - be it a steal, bunt, hit and run... whatever. And to make matters worse, the idiot never wised up and thought to change his indicator mid-game.

So yeah... maybe it's an old-school mentality, but sign stealing like this is just part of the game. I draw the line at installing cameras beyond the center field wall though.